Rooted! Now what ROM?

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I'm rooted now and I don't know what ROM to go with. I want ICS but I don't wanna brick my phone (kinda scared to flash roms because of the sticky up top). Please lead me in the right direction on which ICS ROM I should go with and lets make this direction painless please!

Jaimeg123prmt

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone about a week ago, and flashed the blended ics rom. It was easy to flash, following qbking77's instructions on youtube. However, i did not like the rom, because it did not run as smooth as the stock rom so i went back to stock.

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I tried The Blend ROM as well. It was a little too dark for me, especially the Gmail and SMS app. So I switched to Culakin's ICS ROM. It is pretty stock-like, not dark but has all the bells and whistles of a ROM (hacked hot spot, battery %, other stuff like that)

Hope that helps.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I tried The Blend ROM as well. It was a little too dark for me, especially the Gmail and SMS app. So I switched to Culakin's ICS ROM. It is pretty stock-like, not dark but has all the bells and whistles of a ROM (hacked hot spot, battery %, other stuff like that)

Hope that helps.

How do you think it runs compared to the stock rom? Like someone said earlier about the blend rom not running as well, if I flash it I don't want to have that problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
There ARE more bugs in The Blend ROM in my opinion. The Dev seems to be updating the ROM quite a bit though, so I am sure they will clean up the bugs soon.

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Can I get the link for the Calkculin Rom you guys are talking about.
Is flashing ROMs on the Galaxy s2 the process as the EVO?

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

jigwashere

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I rooted my E4GT and left it stock. My main reason for rooting was to run AdFree. I was also happy to install Titanium Backup Pro, do a full backup, then start deleting bloat. I'm actually not terribly concerned about bloat given the way Android handles memory, etc., but it's nice being able to do some cleanup.

I decided to leave my device with stock ROM mainly because I don't have a compelling reason to try other ROMs. I wanted to get a feel for stock ROM, and quite frankly, I'm satisfied with it. For now, I'm more concerned with content and daily functions. I'll probably become a bit more interested in custom ROMs after the official ICS is out and I have time to play with it.

I do have a Nook Color with CM7.1. There are some feature included in that ROM that I'd like to have, so I should probably flash Clockworkmod.

Reactions: rlanza1054

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Another question that I want to ask. What is the Modems for? Do I need to download them if I'm going to flash a ROM on it?

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Another question that I want to ask. What is the Modems for? Do I need to download them if I'm going to flash a ROM on it?

Modems control your signal data/cell. They are cross compatible, so EL29 modem will work on FC15 and so on. I prefer to use the newest, I doubt samsung/sprint are going to go backwards in quality but YMMV.

rexalbel

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

Hope that helps.

I have the blend one and while its stable in some ways, some of the glitches drive me crazy and the ui inconsistancy is a bit fustrating. How is this rom compared to that? Is it stock samsung, stock ics or themed in some way? Do you have notification issues? Weird ui glitches?

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the blend one and while its stable in some ways, some of the glitches drive me crazy and the ui inconsistancy is a bit fustrating. How is this rom compared to that? Is it stock samsung, stock ics or themed in some way? Do you have notification issues? Weird ui glitches?

Culakin's Tweeked ICS ROM is pretty good. There is an issue with WiFi not staying connected all the time and the sound notification issue is still there as well. I would give it a try. It is basically all Stock ICS with some tweeks. I use Nova Launcher Prime with it and I like it a lot.

Good luck.

rocker22dallas

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
when flashing ICS roms, NEVER flash using the clockwork mod recovery included in some of the roms. only flash using cwm recovery in gingerbread roms.

i have used calk's ICS stock, and tweaked rom, and they have a few issues that i cannot live with every day. so i went back to calk's v2.9.2 because it is fast and has all the extra bells and whistles and tweakes (crt animation, hotspot hack, etc.)

to go back from an ICS rom, i just backed up my apps+data using titanium backup, but do not backup system data, it can brick your gingerbread installation. then use ODIN to flash gingerbread EL29 rom, then root and install clockworkmod recovery, then flash whatever rom you want.

bit of jumping around, but i have done it 5 times now and have the files lined up on my desktop so i just go in order and they get my phone ready to flash whatever rom i want.

edit: try ICS, just follow the instructions on this site, and research before you do anything. they are very nice! just not enough for me to sacrifice the few things gingerbread have working well (tethering for example) the browser alone is worth it however. stock browser in ICS is amazing

Jahjah440

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I need tethering for now. And many reviews of apps I download say "PLEZ FIX 4 GALAXY NEXUS ICS 4.0.3" Not very reassuring. I will stick to CleanGB. Fast, clean, and fast :)

permisatues

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
ICS running 4.0.3 official release is out for your device. you should have EL-29, install the clockworkmod recovery then flash anything you want.. unless i misunderstood your question??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21