When I first bought my Epic 4g, the first thing I did was root it, because I had done so with the first Samsung Galaxy. I have fallen behind and not kept up for a few months (I picked up the phone right when it released). I just would like a few pointers, and reading a few topics I am just confused right now.

I have the Caulkin rom. I believe this is one of the best ones out at the time. I am semi-interested in the ICS, but do not want to even come close to risking a brick. I would like to explore other ROMs however, and go to the ICS once it is perfected and tested with no errors. Recently my phone has been messing up as well (not very responsive, locks up, sends random words/letters that are unreadable in texts).

To the help. From a main screen, I can hold down the power button and go into a recovery mode. Once there it brings me to a "Rogue ET Recover 1.1.2 (CWM v5.0.2.7)" screen. I can choose to reboot, install from zip, wipe, backup and restore, mount & storage, advanced, power off, and go back. If i wanted to put another ZIP file onto my removable SD card like i did with the CAULKIN mod...what steps would i take.

I assume I would WIPE and then goto install from Zip file, and choose the ROM that I would like to install. If this is incorrect, could someone let me know what I need to do? I am unfamiliar with what ODIN installing is, i just know that there is a screen that comes up when I power on and hold the volume button.

Thank you for any help, and sorry for the n00b like questions...
    03-19-2012 02:50 PM
    The only thing I would do differently is, before booting to recovery and wiping I would make a backup of all my apps with titanium backup or mybackup root so I can quickly restore after flashing the rom. Also make a nandroid backup in recovery before you wipe, it is under backup and restore > backup.
    03-19-2012 05:10 PM
    Thank you, stretch. I will probably be doing that tomorrow. I am currently looking at other ROMs to run.
    03-19-2012 06:39 PM
    QBKing77 has been making video tutorials for most, if not all, ROMs available for the E4GT. I would suggest taking a look at them before flashing anything to your phone. He even has a video on flashing ICS via ODIN if you wanna take a look at that too.
    03-20-2012 08:54 AM
    If you want to try ICS there's an ODIN link for FC15 Stock + Rooted:

[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.FC15 (xda-developers)

SFHub has done a great job documenting the steps to use ODIN One-Click. Worried about bricking my phone and not having any tech support (I use an MVNO) I also held off until I saw this one - then finally made the jump. Since using ODIN alone has not been shown to brick a phone I felt safe enough using this and if needed going back to EL29 + Rooted.

But back to your question. You may want to check out the ROMs that you see here and on XDA. The steps are well described in previous replies so no need to rehash that. If you haven't read the stickied post at the top of the forum please be aware of it - you may not go to ICS now but it's good advice should you end up on one down the road.

Good luck!
    03-20-2012 10:02 AM
    Thank you for the responses. I am checking out ROMs on xda, and then debating if I want to Odin one-click ICS. I have been looking forward to ICS for quite some time, and I don't know if I want to hold off any longer.

To be safe going the ICS route, I should just fully take my phone to stock first? Take off EVERYTHING that I have downloaded and installed?
    03-20-2012 10:41 AM
    Note: Currently I am on Caulkin's E4GT build ROM v2.5
    03-20-2012 10:48 AM
    I checked out QBKings video, and it answered all of my questions. Thank you for the advice, and sorry for the triple post. If anyone else comes across this thread, here is the link I used to gather the information and steps I needed to take.

03-20-2012 11:02 AM
    Thank you for the responses. I am checking out ROMs on xda, and then debating if I want to Odin one-click ICS. I have been looking forward to ICS for quite some time, and I don't know if I want to hold off any longer.

To be safe going the ICS route, I should just fully take my phone to stock first? Take off EVERYTHING that I have downloaded and installed?
    I normally do but that's because I don't keep too much on the phone to start with. I know with ODIN OC SFHub has said you can do GB->ICS using the NoData option and keep most of that.

When in doubt, use the full package. This with Titanium Backup can easily get you back in shape in short order.
    03-20-2012 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD