root now or wait a little for ICS?

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
hello
i want to root my phone to simply keep EL29 but rooted in order to clean up sprint bloatware and to try different modems. I get spotty reception throughout areas of Miami, and I think I can do better trying a different modem (FC18 or FC22).

With Samsung's announcement of ICS coming soon (whenever that is...supposedly end of April), should I just wait until ICS comes out?

I am relatively new to droid, root, etc.

thanks

Last edited:

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Im going to wait myself. I rooted my nook, it was fun. It was my first. I need my phone for work so I cant mess around and be without one if I screw it up.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can root now and remove all the bloat you don't want on the device. There are ICS leaks and ROMs for our device but nothing based on an "Official" release. If you want an Official ICS ROM you'll have the opportunity to install it when its release, either while keeping root or by restoring to el29 stock and go from there.

The process is straight forward and an auto-root was created by sfhub over at xda. You might want to give that at try and go from there. Be sure to do a lot of reading before attempting you understand the process :) Good luck!

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You can root now and remove all the bloat you don't want on the device. There are ICS leaks and ROMs for our device but nothing based on an "Official" release. If you want an Official ICS ROM you'll have the opportunity to install it when its release, either while keeping root or by restoring to el29 stock and go from there.

The process is straight forward and an auto-root was created by sfhub over at xda. You might want to give that at try and go from there. Be sure to do a lot of reading before attempting you understand the process :) Good luck!

You tempt me, would I be able to save everything or do I have re input all my contacts into the phone?

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I read A LOT about the ICS ROMs available for this phone and I finally ended up flashing the below last night. It is slick and stable! No major issues except notification sounds not being available if you use the home button to exit out of a message or something... Work around is also posted as well. The other ICS roms still look like they have some way to go...

[ROM][TN] MIJJz BLEND ICS [OS 4.0.3][ FD02/05] "THE GOODNESS" [v5.1][4/11/12] - xda-developers

Are u having any reboots using 4g? Or 4g hotspot? I wanna jump to ics, loved it on my nexus s, but need my 4g

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Are u having any reboots using 4g? Or 4g hotspot? I wanna jump to ics, loved it on my nexus s, but need my 4g

I haven't tried the hotspot function, but 4G definitely works fine. This rom is about as close as you'll get to the stock rom of ICS that's stable. I think it will hold you over :)

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I've been torn about this as well. I'm still waiting it out for an official ICS release. Maybe I'll be more brave with things once I get ICS with all the online backupy goodness, but in the meantime, I don't really wanna take a chance.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm waiting for an official ICS load to come and get pre-rooted by the chefs. Since it's pretty much going to look the same with TW4 instead of the Holo theme, I can wait a few more weeks.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You tempt me, would I be able to save everything or do I have re input all my contacts into the phone?

You should save whatever you can as a precaution. Simply rooting the device will not erase anything. But you want to back things up just in case you experience problems and need to factory reset to clear things up. Here are a few apps you can use to backup the device before root:

SMS - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pRestore&feature=search_result&token=3UoxFjO7

Call Log - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FsbExvZ0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..&token=-jMpvvtU

Everything on your sd card can be loaded onto your PC and be sure to Sync with Google (contacts, calendar, etc.). Google Sync is available in the settings and will load your contacts with your Google account so you can just sign back in and have the contacts automatically loaded. It's the best way to backup contacts imo.

All your apps will still be accessible via Google Play Web. The data may not be preserved, but you can at least find the apps you had installed by logging in and selecting install via the web. It will push the app back to your device.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions if you have any before making the leap.

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You should save whatever you can as a precaution. Simply rooting the device will not erase anything. But you want to back things up just in case you experience problems and need to factory reset to clear things up. Here are a few apps you can use to backup the device before root:

SMS - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pRestore&feature=search_result&token=n1vg4V_1

Call Log - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FsbExvZ0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..&token=rMEklywc

Everything on your sd card can be loaded onto your PC and be sure to Sync with Google (contacts, calendar, etc.)

All your apps will still be accessible via Google Play Web. The data may not be preserved, but you can at least find the apps you had installed by logging in and selecting install via the web. It will push the app back to your device.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions if you have any before making the leap.

Thanks , Im going to read up more and I take the shot :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Im going to wait also. But Im wondering are all ICS updates gonna be the blue fonts or is that just the nexus line?

There's ICS leaks for our phone and it looks nothing like ICS other than some of the layouts. Colors, fonts, themes are pretty much TouchWiz and consistent with a Samsung device. There are themes to make it look more stock ICS so that's a big plus.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I got question, will my phone be as secure once I do this? Or does it create security holes

It will be completely secure. All rooting basically does is allow you to have root/superuser access so you can tamper with system files you otherwise couldn't.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

SMS - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pRestore&feature=search_result&token=K2ecZHSB

Call Log - https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FsbExvZ0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..&token=9gGLrs-8

Everything on your sd card can be loaded onto your PC and be sure to Sync with Google (contacts, calendar, etc.). Google Sync is available in the settings and will load your contacts with your Google account so you can just sign back in and have the contacts automatically loaded. It's the best way to backup contacts imo.

Thanks , Im going to read up more and I take the shot :)

MyBackup also works on non-rooted phones. You can back everything up (SMS, MMS, apps, call logs, ect) on your SD card.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I would also suggest to the OP (or anyone else that is thinking about rooting) to check out the videos by qbking77 on YouTube. He has great tutorials on how to root your E4GT.

Before I rooted, I read everything multiple times and watched the videos to get a better understanding on how to root my phone. It helped out a lot :)

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Rooting is all about personal preference, for example I root primarily stock roms to get free tethering. Some enjoy trying custom roms for all the different combinations of kernels, themes and integrated software.
Years ago everyone I knew upgraded there personal PC's just so they could overclock to get the most out of there gaming rigs(some of us still do). This has carried over to phones/tablets for a lot of us now. The overclocks (Antutu) on the transformer prime are as high as 1800 mhz.

Just make sure you research everything about it before you try unless you want a 500.00 paperweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze