Alright; I'm wanting to root now, maybe go along with a custom rom in the future. However, here's my issue. I've been reading for three days straight; watched some videos, even played with my girlfriends optimus and flashed an official rom to it (from GB to Froyo).

My issue? It seems like there are literally 400 different methods to root these phones. But these numbers mean this, and you can't root with this modem.

Basically, I just want to know in a single place what I need to know to root my phone. I've figured out I'm on EL29 and I've even seen where this is the modem numbering? So much reading has got me confused. So, what steps should I take next as there's just so many different things to look at. I know it can't be "that" difficult. Heck; I've flashed a million motherboards over the years and even did some "unbricking" on a second gen iPod that my cousin decided to "jailbreak" lol.

So; what's important when looking to root? And clockwork mod seems delicious! Thanks everyone!
    04-27-2012 04:19 PM
    I just installed the latest rom leak today FD24. The one click option is great and it overcomes Samsung's attempt to stop the root. It took all of 30 minutes and that includes the time to DL. QBking77 has a how-to video if your concerned at all about the procedure.

XDA
    04-27-2012 04:29 PM
    Rooting this phone is very easy. The basics of it is, you overwrite your existing ROM with a pre-rooted version of it using your PC and a Samsung firmware flashing program called Odin.

AC forum Advisor "sfhub" provides all of his pre-rooted Odin "One Click" packages over at the XDA forums.

If your goal is to root the current official E4GT firmware (version EL29), then click the link in the sticky thread in this forum (http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-firmware.html) and follow the instructions.

You will need to install the Samsung USB drivers (link provided in sfhub's XDA thread) if you haven't already. Then download one of the One-Click Odin files. If you are just rooting the current EL29, I suggest you use the NO DATA (preserve user data) file version, as it will not overwrite your data partition and will keep all of your existing Apps and settings. If you want to upgrade to one of the unofficial ICS builds, you will probably want to use the FULL RESTORE version and wipe all data, as this is a completely different OS and old data may not welcome the change.

sfhub's Odin packages will flash every element of your device to that build version. This includes the ROM, kernel and modem (also referred to as "baseband").

Installing CWM is a separate step, and the easiest way to install it if you're inexperienced is with sfhub's Auto-Root tool, which he also provides links to and instructions for in the rooting thread.
    steddora likes this.
    04-27-2012 05:24 PM
    So, what's the difference in EL29 and say FD24? If you have EL29 do you have to only use EL29 or is it more like a version number?
    04-28-2012 08:04 AM
    So, what's the difference in EL29 and say FD24? If you have EL29 do you have to only use EL29 or is it more like a version number?
    EL29 and FD24 are different os revisions. EL29 is gingerbread and version 2.3.6 while FD24 is ice cream sandwich version 4.0.3. EL29 is completely finished though and is not being worked on like FD24, so it has less bugs. FD24 does have some more features that are brought with it though. Since you're new to flashing this phone I'd stay on gingerbread for a while until you feel comfortable enough to flash ics because it can cause problems if you do it wrong since the official ICS isn't released yet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    steddora likes this.
    04-28-2012 09:06 AM
    See that makes sense. So, since that is a revision number basically, the different FD numbers are really jst revisions of the ICS kernel? I know a lot about PCs, and am rather proficient with Linux. Just new to the Android world.

Now, since im on EL29, I will do what was suggested as it just go with my learning curve anyways. Lets get this phone rooted with EL29. Im going to do a little more reading. And then I will check back here incase someone wanted to leave some last minute advice.
    04-28-2012 10:35 AM
    See that makes sense. So, since that is a revision number basically, the different FD numbers are really jst revisions of the ICS kernel? I know a lot about PCs, and am rather proficient with Linux. Just new to the Android world.

Now, since im on EL29, I will do what was suggested as it just go with my learning curve anyways. Lets get this phone rooted with EL29. Im going to do a little more reading. And then I will check back here incase someone wanted to leave some last minute advice.
    F= 2012
    D= April
    24= 24th
    So the FD24 update was built April 24th, 2012 and the EL29 is December 29th, 2011.

Doesn't necessarily mean ICS on all android phones but in our case it is ICS. The version number includes changes to the ROM, Kernel and Modem. Since you are versed in linux just think of the kernel as kernel, and the ROM is your OS (Ubuntu for ex) and modem controls your signals(data/phone/GPS). Modem is completely independent of your ROM and Kernel. Some users experience different results depending on the modem. Your kernel is only dependent on your major ROM version; for example you can use any gingerbread kernel with any gingerbread ROM and likewise with ICS kernels.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
    steddora likes this.
    04-28-2012 11:03 AM
    If you need to clear NVRAM/Sprint data login info, perform a ##72786# reset from the Dialer and enter MSL. Type getprop ril.MSL in adb shell or terminal to retrieve your MSL.

Ok, only thing im not sure of now. The rest seems as simple as running an apt-get update from the command line in debian. So if someone could clarify that statement, ill begin the rooting! thanks everyone for the help so far!
    04-28-2012 02:14 PM
    I got it! I am rooted; now to remove some annoying sprint BS. xD

Went with the preserve data as the video QBking77 posted showed. I figured it was simple as that. I want to thank everyone again. Now after I play with this for a while, cwm is looking to be my next candidate! Maybe even some ICS goodness *wink* soon enough.
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    04-28-2012 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD