Kernels For Epic 4G Touch

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know what the best kernel for this phone is, based on what you guys prefer. I am using Kernel Version-2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know what the best kernel for this phone is, based on what you guys prefer. I am using Kernel Version-2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097

So stock is what you are running? There really aren't a whole lot of kernels available because kernel development has pretty much stopped until ICS source is released. Our EL29 source isn't necessarily broken but it doesn't build properly without heavy modification. So at most all we have is team rogue's EL29 kernel which includes; their version of CWM, init'd support, boot animation, and OC/UV. I have actually built a few kernels myself and there is an awesome thread over at XDA if you would like to learn how to do it yourself.

Reactions: eko3484

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Can you link that thread? Thanks!

Start with this thread: Android Dev. How-To Guide: Compiling the Android/Linux kernel for the Epic Touch 4G - xda-developers

Then after that move to this one: [KERNEL][HOWTO] E4GT Community Kernel - Updated: 2/26/2012 - xda-developers

The only reason I say to start with the 1 thread is because it is beginner friendly and the second requires more of an understanding of what github is, although, if you follow the directions to a T both will produce the same result. Also the second thread includes fixes to the kernel source that samsung posted. For example 9 out of 10 kernels you build doing the directions from the 1st thread will give you a working kernel but will break the wifi. I think I probably built 40+ kernels before I got the wifi to work. If you already have a working knowledge of linux and linux kernels skip straight to step 2. The only difference is thread 1 is building from Samsung's posted source (which has flaws) and thread 2 is the E4GT communities kernels that we worked on to fix and help users gain experience.

Good luck, this will drive you crazy but it is a worthwhile experience and gives you a much better understanding and respect for what the real kernel developers do.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, it shouldn't be to hard for me to pickup. I do have a bit of experience with kernels. Back in the early 2000's I compiled a kernel for Ubuntu 6.10 and my first Nvidia SLi setup. So it can't be that difficult to learn. Always learning though. Thanks for the links friend!

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea how to build a kernel. I use linux on my laptop but have almost no experience with running lines of code. Haha TAR confuses the hell out of me. I honestly don't have the time to learn all of this right now but I would love to. Being in the Army doesn't give you much free time :)

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea how to build a kernel. I use linux on my laptop but have almost no experience with running lines of code. Haha TAR confuses the hell out of me. I honestly don't have the time to learn all of this right now but I would love to. Being in the Army doesn't give you much free time :)

Just flashed Cyanogenmod 9 and now my kernel version- 3.0.15-SPH-D710.FD10-CL377892

I had no idea how to build a kernel either and I have never even taking a typing class, I have learned everything from scratch. I understand the not having time, I just got out of the Marines a year ago and now I am a full time student. A .tar is like a linux package for installing stuff, think of it as windows version of a .exe. Tar files are created in linux and tend to be more secure as you can only unpack them while on linux.

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome man. Where were you stationed? I am about to deploy, then I hope to start some school when I get home. I'd like to learn more about Linux and maybe become some sort of a developer.

steddora

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not tar does about eighteen million things. I actually used a modified version of tar to compile my first source code in Ubuntu. It was actually designed for compression reasons, but with Linux, the possibilities are endless. I once wrote a bash script for school that used tar to do a complete system backup including the entirety of the main system and extra storage devices. It ended up giving me a five gigabyte file that could be unpacked to an ext3 partition and boot from it. Just remember the same things they say here. Read, read, read, and then read some more. You can learn anything you put your mind too!

eko3484

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Man, that is awesome. I am definitely going to be researching and learning as much as I can with the time that I have. Maybe I'll get good enough to make some of my own Android creations :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Man, that is awesome. I am definitely going to be researching and learning as much as I can with the time that I have. Maybe I'll get good enough to make some of my own Android creations :)

All it takes is time and the drive to learn. There are plenty developers here and on XDA that will be willing to help you along the way. Just be sure to be respectful when asking questions and don't take a short reply the wrong way :)

Good luck!

t_galownia

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
ok. Same thing happend to me and now I am throughly confused. I am looking for the kernel radio and modem (and recovery if it is made yet.) for the SPH-D710 FD10-cl377892 . I went to CW ICS and several things are not working properly. I have read thread after thread on many forums and have yet to find a difinitive answer. with the way the names keep changing it also adds to the confusion. I started out on SPH D710 EL29 and with Sprint updates and trying to get everything working on CM . it has passed through about 4 other versions. Please advise.

Thank yoyu

Bigt2003

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
ok. Same thing happend to me and now I am throughly confused. I am looking for the kernel radio and modem (and recovery if it is made yet.) for the SPH-D710 FD10-cl377892 . I went to CW ICS and several things are not working properly. I have read thread after thread on many forums and have yet to find a difinitive answer. with the way the names keep changing it also adds to the confusion. I started out on SPH D710 EL29 and with Sprint updates and trying to get everything working on CM . it has passed through about 4 other versions. Please advise.

Thank yoyu

OK, I think you got a few different issues running here.

1. E series kernels are for Gingerbread, and F series are for ICS. They won't boot properly if you use them on the wrong rom.

2. E and F series kernels won't work on CM. They're made for touchwiz and don't work on aosp.

3. The name changes are how Samsung keeps track of versions. The first is for the version, the last is for the month. EL is gingerbread released in December. FD is ICS released in April.

4. The kernel and recovery are combined on this phone, so changing one will change the other.

5. The radio is the modem. They're universal, so it doesn't matter which one you flash. Find one that works for you and stick with it.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34