Installing CWM on CM9

WhoAmI

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I decided to take the plunge last night and root my Epic Touch. I used the directions found at Team Epic (Cyanogenmod Epic Touch: CM9 Install Guide) and had no issues installing CM9 with the Google apps. The problem is that after I installed it, I went to their customization tips to see how to setup Sprint's visual voicemail only to find that it should have been done in CWM (why couldn't they mention the need for this in the installation steps?!)!

In order to install it, I need CWM as my recovery manager but CM9 replaced my recovery manager with, what I'm guessing, is the stock recovery manager. To add insult to injury, I cannot use ROM Manager to install CWM because I don't have an external SD card (only the internal "card").

Short of getting an external card or reflashing CWM (and then CM9, Google Apps, etc), does anyone have any suggestions? i.e. did this newbie miss something obvious? :)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I would suggest using Odin (or Mobile Odin) to restore back to stock and start over. This will ensure you a safe and tried way to restore to a Gingerbread ROM and get back on CM9 without a brick. Plus, it will allow you to understand the process just in case you ever need to restore.

Otherwise, you should be able to use Odin and Flash the appropriate Kernal (EL26 based with CWM) and boot straight into recovery. Hopefully someone who is a bit more familiar with doing this chimes in and gives some input to make sure you do it properly. Whatever you do, don't install another recovery/kernal and start wiping data from it or the recovery included with ICS (CM9) -- you'll risk a brick if you do.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Methinks you didn't read the sticky at the top of this forum. Before you do anything else, please read and understand it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...nt-read-before-working-tw-ics-leaks-aosp.html

Bottom line: CWM was not included in your CM9 install as a preventative measure to stop you from potentially hard bricking your phone. Doing any sort of data wipes using recovery like CWM while on a ICS kernel has a high chance of hard bricking the Epic 4G Touch right now. This is due to a EMMC firmware bug that manifests itself during recovery based partition formats on the ICS kernel. The chance of hard bricking is greatly elevated while on an AOSP ROM like CM9.

#1 - Stop using ROM Manager right away
#2 - Don't try to flash CWM for now
#3 - If you want to reflash ANYTHING from where you are now, use Odin to flash the stock Gingerbread EL26 kernel that has been repacked with CWM, then boot into that recovery before your phone reboots and flash from there.

Now that you have CM9 on your phone you need to be very careful with any functions in recovery that involve data formats ... this includes restoring old Nandroid backups.

Reactions: srkmagnus

WhoAmI

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Jay, I did not read that before hand (I only used the instructions on the CM9 blog I linked too). I'll be sure to flash the CWM via Odin again if I go to update CM9. Thankfully I did do that when my first install failed due to the Google Apps package not being signed properly or I probably would have bricked my phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem. I know you were just trying to get CWM installed to add the Sprint VVM app, but you messing around with ROM Manager told me you weren't completely aware of the dangers right now. In the end I simply wanted to save you from a potential headache.

Good luck!

WhoAmI

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You most definitely did! Although now I'm nervous to really do anything on it ;)

I'm coming from the comparatively simpler world of webOS development where the phone was a little more hacker-friendly so some of these "gotcha's" are a little new.

Are there any known issues with flashing modem updates through ODIN while on an ICS ROM? (ODIN Phone) From what I can tell, it's separate - as long as the ROM supports the modem - but I thought I would consult the expert here!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You most definitely did! Although now I'm nervous to really do anything on it ;)

I'm coming from the comparatively simpler world of webOS development where the phone was a little more hacker-friendly so some of these "gotcha's" are a little new.

Are there any known issues with flashing modem updates through ODIN while on an ICS ROM? (ODIN Phone) From what I can tell, it's separate - as long as the ROM supports the modem - but I thought I would consult the expert here!

Flashing the modem using Odin is perfectly safe. In fact, using Odin to do any sort of flashing while on a ICS kernel is as safe as it ever was, which is to say it very safe.

What you do not want to do is any sort of formatting (wiping) or flashing using a recovery like CWM, while on a ICS kernel (for now, until the bug is resolved). On Samsung phones, recovery is packed into the kernel. So flashing a recovery means you're also flashing a kernel.

There's nothing to be nervous about having CM9 on your phone. You just need to know what kernel your flashing from, if you're going to use CWM to do anything. This is why it is recommended to use Odin to flash the Gingerbread based EL26 kernel that has been repacked with stock CWM. Partition wipes while on a GB kernel is proven to be safe. When your phone reboots after the flash you would immediately hold down Vol Down + Power to boot into recovery in this case, as the GB kernel wouldn't be compatible with the ICS ROM on your phone. Because of this, you would want to have any files you're planning to flash already on your phone.

Hope that helps you comfort level a bit! :)

Reactions: WhoAmI

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01