Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of custom ROMs and even after reading countless threads/sites, I'm still confused on some details. I'm rooted and have CWM (Team Rogue) already installed on my E4GT.

I wanted to install Calkulin's E4GT v3.0 but I need help on the kernel/modem details. The screenshot below is what I have on the phone. How do I know when I need to worry about the Kernel number? I see that the topic says EL29 and my phone is EL29 so do I just go ahead and install the ROM from recovery?

If I was to install another ROM that said a different kernel, would I just have to install that Kernel before installing the ROM?

Also, after following QBKing77's video on how to root and install CWM, it installed CWM Rogue on my phone. How do I uninstall it and instead install the regular version? Or is there even a need to install the regular version?

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for the noob questions.
    06-25-2012 09:46 PM
    I was looking at that one too. Looks pretty cut and dry!! As far as your kernel concerns, its included in most custom roms.

Follow the directions if you have any questions just ask.. The community is great about helping

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLt6DozToE[/YT]
    06-26-2012 12:35 AM
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the world of custom ROMs and even after reading countless threads/sites, I'm still confused on some details. I'm rooted and have CWM (Team Rogue) already installed on my E4GT.

I wanted to install Calkulin's E4GT v3.0 but I need help on the kernel/modem details. The screenshot below is what I have on the phone. How do I know when I need to worry about the Kernel number? I see that the topic says EL29 and my phone is EL29 so do I just go ahead and install the ROM from recovery?

Click to view quoted image

If I was to install another ROM that said a different kernel, would I just have to install that Kernel before installing the ROM?

Also, after following QBKing77's video on how to root and install CWM, it installed CWM Rogue on my phone. How do I uninstall it and instead install the regular version? Or is there even a need to install the regular version?

If you installed a different rom that included a different kernel, then that kernel will replace the one you have currently.

If you wish you use another kernel, simply find a flash a zip version of that kernel on top of the new rom, in CWM as usual.

Sent from my TARDIS
    06-26-2012 12:45 AM

Click to view quoted image

The CWM Rogue Recovery works just fine with Gingerbread ROMs so there's no need to switch to the regular CWM.
    06-26-2012 10:05 AM
    You also mentioned the modem (baseband), and that's a point of confusion for me since the Calkulin page you mentioned links to a slew of modem updates that go unexplained. The latest one is FE22, which sounds like it's from ICS. What is the purpose of this update exactly (improves cellular, wifi, etc?), and why is it (apparently) a good thing to install an ICS component in GB?
    06-26-2012 11:07 AM
    The CWM Rogue Recovery works just fine with Gingerbread ROMs so there's no need to switch to the regular CWM.
    Rogue recovery is koush's cwm recovery. Its exactly the same code base.

Sent From A Rotary Phone
    06-26-2012 11:07 AM
    Modem does exactly what you said. It handles the cellular/data signal for the phone and is depending on many factors. Just because a modem is new doesn't mean that its the best for you. You can install ICS Modems on GB ROMs without a problem. So try several until you find one that fits your needs and stick with it
    06-26-2012 10:22 PM
    OK, good to know. Is it typical that someone would see a difference from one to the next? I would have thought that this would have been one aspect pretty much static without much room for variability. What's an example of a problem that someone's seen that's been corrected by upgrading/downgrading the modem?
    06-26-2012 11:20 PM
    Follow up question to all of this.

I'm running Calks 3.0 GB ROM. I would like to switch to the Blazer ICS rom. Can someone point out the steps/warnings in doing this process?

Do I use ODIN to get stock EL29, then Format All zip, then just install the Blazer zip?
    08-01-2012 12:32 AM
    If you are already running a gingerbread rom then it should have a safe kernel to flash from as is. Just run the format all and flash blazer.

If it has cwm 5 recovery you are good to go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    cydex123 likes this.
    08-01-2012 12:48 AM
    If you are already running a gingerbread rom then it should have a safe kernel to flash from as is. Just run the format all and flash blazer.

If it has cwm 5 recovery you are good to go.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    The kernel version that installed with Calkulin 3.0 EL29 is Rogue ET 1.4.1.

I also have Rogue CWM 5.0.2.7.

So does this mean that no need to use Odin to go back to stock ROM in order to flash ICS Blazer?
    08-01-2012 09:49 PM
    Yeah just flash it you will be fine.
    cydex123 likes this.
    08-01-2012 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD