[MOD/FIX][GPS] Dark_Knight's_GPS_Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Ive seen thread after thread after thread about how crappy the Epic Touch 4G GPS is. So this is for all the people who have this issue. Please bare in mind that if you live outside the Continent of North America this modification will do you no good.

How does this modification work? What is the cause of poor gps?

Ok. Everyone has there own opinion onto why gps is crappy. Need to look no further then our lovely stock ROM samsung has let us use. The gps.conf is only 244bytes of simple code. The line you want to pay attention to is SUPL_TYPE=supl.google.com. Google Supl root certs are total crap. This is where the issue lies. By changing this line to ?supl.sonyericsson.com? you vastly increase your gps lock time. This is the reason you never see any gps mods for sony ericsson devices. They dont need them. I also added some misc lines of code to increase accuracy within 50 meters or less.

THE GPS ISSUE IS ALL SOFTWARE. IT HAS VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH HARDWARE. DONT BELIEVE ME? FLASH THIS MOD :)

Directions and Requirements:

YOU MUST BE ROOTED
YOU MUST HAVE CUSTOM CWM RECOVERY OR UNLOCKED STOCK RECOVERY
MUST BE ON GINGERBREAD OR ICE CREAM SANDWICH

1.) Download Gps Fix
2.) Boot into Recovery
3.) Wipe cache and dalvik
4.) Flash Gps Fix
5.) Boot out of Recovery
6.) Turn on GPS, MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUTSIDE. IF YOU ARE INDOORS YOU GPS MOST LIKELY WONT WORK.
7.) Open Google Maps
8.) Enter A Location
9.) Open Navigation
10.) First lock can take up to 90 secs. Each lock after is 2-5 secs
11.) Be wowed by this mod :)

Download Link for Dark_Knight's_GPS_Fix: Dark Knights GPS Fix Download Here

STANDARD DISCLAIMER? I AM NOT OFFERING ANY GUARANTEES. FLASH THIS MOD AT YOU OWN RISK. IF YOUR PHONE BLOWS UP CAUSE YOU FLASHED THIS AND YOU BLAME ME I WILL LAUGH AT YOU. :cool:

Sychotik

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey dies this come with the liquid ice rom? Cuz if so my GPS is working great..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Is "UNLOCKED STOCK RECOVERY" rooted or something else? I know I am rooted and didn't install another recovery, but don't know what unlocked stock recovery means,.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Is "UNLOCKED STOCK RECOVERY" rooted or something else? I know I am rooted and didn't install another recovery, but don't know what unlocked stock recovery means,.

Unlocked Stock Recovery is a Stock Samsung Recovery that has been unlocked to allow the flashing of unofficial updates.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked Stock Recovery is a Stock Samsung Recovery that has been unlocked to allow the flashing of unofficial updates.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

I insatlled Clockwork Recovery. When I try to flash this, it shows a status bar that goes away really quickly and then I just see an android on the screen and an "!" in a triangle. It just sits there. I tried twice.

When I go back to the main screen, it says "E:signature verification failed"

I was on the latest everything if that matters.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I insatlled Clockwork Recovery. When I try to flash this, it shows a status bar that goes away really quickly and then I just see an android on the screen and an "!" in a triangle. It just sits there. I tried twice.

When I go back to the main screen, it says "E:signature verification failed"

I was on the latest everything if that matters.

Sounds like your on the stock recovery...not CWM Recovery.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Does this do anything if you are out of the USA?

Previously, I had cached maps for where I was going and could not got a lock anywhere w/o a data connection.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Does this do anything if you are out of the USA?

Previously, I had cached maps for where I was going and could not got a lock anywhere w/o a data connection.

Yes. My gps tweak will not work outside of the north american continent. I can however make you one for your continent :)

Sent From A Rotary Phone

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Recently flashed a rom and the GPS would not lock for some reason. Flashed this fix and works great now. Appreciate it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I think this is keeping me from getting the Sprint update installed. It failed on a system check. I had unrooted and restored stock recovery before trying to get the OTA update. Is there a way to remove this or is this not what is causing the problem?

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I think this is keeping me from getting the Sprint update installed. It failed on a system check. I had unrooted and restored stock recovery before trying to get the OTA update. Is there a way to remove this or is this not what is causing the problem?

Yes this will cause the update to fail. I will make a zip to address it later.

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

Can't you just wipe your phone and Odin back to stock? Or did you do this and the GPS mod is still there?

Sent from...B*+ch, my $h*+ is custom!

Status
Not open for further replies.