[ROM][KANG][08/05/12]CM10 Release Canidiate 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
most likely a typo:confused:

Yes sorry guys it was a typo. With the bazillion base versions our phone has had, and now with the Boost Mobile base versions, even I get confused sometimes.

On that note, play with all the modems you want, but I would be extremely surprised if it solves the LOS mystery. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but my money is still on it being 100% kernel related.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

doubledjp

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Long time lurker, first or second time poster. Firstly, thank you for all the great work on the smooth experience and overall awesome feel of Jellybean on the Epic Touch.

Quick question: for stability issues, I'm forced to move back to CM9. Would I have to wipe all data as well as the cache/dalvik? Or could I possibly skip data and clean out just the cache? Reason being for this non-topical question is that I've put a lot of effort in the customization of my device.

Again, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for juicing up our already awesome phones!

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes sorry guys it was a typo. With the bazillion base versions our phone has had, and now with the Boost Mobile base versions, even I get confused sometimes.

On that note, play with all the modems you want, but I would be extremely surprised if it solves the LOS mystery. I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but my money is still on it being 100% kernel related.

Any theories as to why the US Cellular guys aren't getting it at all though? Same kernel right?

mithunm93

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm still running RC1, (there were still some issues in 1.1 and 1.2 so I'm holding off on reflashing) and I'm having some issues with my data connectivity (3g and 4g) with it not connecting after I've had my phone locked for a little while. Is this an issue with my modem? If so which one do you guys recommend I upgrade to?

Also, I feel dumb for asking this, what does LoS stand for :O

Glt5000

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I'm still running RC1, (there were still some issues in 1.1 and 1.2 so I'm holding off on reflashing) and I'm having some issues with my data connectivity (3g and 4g) with it not connecting after I've had my phone locked for a little while. Is this an issue with my modem? If so which one do you guys recommend I upgrade to?

haha! don't feel bad LOS (Loss Of Service) is whats causing your issue with your data connection In RC1 (still running it myself) it does tend to drop, DK thinks its a kernel issue but I just flashed the FG31 modem and haven't had any so far

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
can anyone else confirm if the battery charges? I've been on 15 to 16% for 30min now

If you really want to know if the phone is charging, run a lead on the positive contact on the phone, the positive contact of the battery and insulate with electrical tape. Then connect a multimeter set in DC current mode between the two leads and see if there is positive current flow. Or, meter out the battery with a multimeter and read the voltage, then charge for 10 min and see if the voltage increased.

kuttykartel

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I agree, think it's the kernel. I'm also starting to think that the los isn't necessarily the problem. The problem is that it doesn't automatically scan and reconnect once it loses signal. It only seems to happen when I am in a bad signal area. Like at work today, had way more los than at home. Also, since the FG31 modem seems to work better for me, los has decreased. I dunno, who knows.

Made more sense in my head lol :confused:

sosovoo

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
If you really want to know if the phone is charging, run a lead on the positive contact on the phone, the positive contact of the battery and insulate with electrical tape. Then connect a multimeter set in DC current mode between the two leads and see if there is positive current flow. Or, meter out the battery with a multimeter and read the voltage, then charge for 10 min and see if the voltage increased.

well it works when the phone is off but when im running the rom it wont charge. i rebooted and now it wont even detect anything is plugged into it. Conisdering it works for someone else im reflashing.. its a shame because i had no LOS at all from boot.

anakin_sw

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
well it works when the phone is off but when im running the rom it wont charge. i rebooted and now it wont even detect anything is plugged into it. Conisdering it works for someone else im reflashing.. its a shame because i had no LOS at all from boot.

Man, sounds like a software issue. But, no way to tell if the phone is really charging without metering it out. Even when some phones indicate charging, doesn't really mean that there is positive current flow to the battery...

sosovoo

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
i was down to 15% battery so i needed to act fast lol.. reflashed to blazer rom and i can confirm charging works. reflashing 1.2 now

hiperglyde

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

Loss Of Service= when your signal falls out..

sounds like you're experiencing this

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Any theories as to why the US Cellular guys aren't getting it at all though? Same kernel right?

That's a really good question. I dug up the old AC blog post about LOS on the Epic 4G Touch ahead of the EK02 update:

The Sprint Epic 4G Touch possibly has a fix on the way soon for loss of signal and other bugs | Android Central

This was what kingsway8605, who got a special push of EK02 directly from an inside source at Samsung before everyone else did, was told about why LOS was occuring ...

It is isolated to areas with spotty coverage, which is why some don't experience it at all. If you are in 4G and leave 4G coverage, or in 3G coverage and leave 3G coverage, and in the process of sending packets, there is apparently a bug where the phone does not detect this and would just give up after it could no longer talk to the old tower.

To answer your question about US Cellular, if I were to take a stab at it, I have to look at the real in your face difference between the Sprint and US Cellular versions of the phone ... Sprint has WiMax and US Cellular does not. There are obviously other cellular network related differences, but any deeper analysis goes way above my pay grade.

So, here's what we know about LOS on the Epic 4G Touch. It was an issue on the release software version which was EG30. It was fixed in the next update, which was EK02. How it was fixed? No darn clue. But ...

Samsung Open Source Release Center

Scroll down to the SPH D710. I believe the file that does not list a base version is the original release source code (EG30). EK02 is listed. If anyone knows how to compare the kernel source code and identify differences, something may come to light in what Samsung did to fix the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781