So I just used qbkings method of rooting my phone and it worked without a hitch.

I had purchased rom manager long ago for use on my HTC hero and installed it and it correctly identified my phone.

I'm interested in flashing the current CM9 RC just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

1. Download CM9 RC form CyanogenMod Downloads this page. I'm a little confused exactly which RC is the proper one for our phone however. Save this file to my SD card

2. Boot into CWM. I believe I arleady installed this through Rom manager. So I would reboot by holding volume up and powering the device back on.

3. Once in CWM I should create a nandroid backup just to be safe.

4. Back in CWM flash from SD and select the rom I want to install.

Is that basically it?

Thank you so much.
    07-02-2012 07:21 PM
    I'm betting you didn't read my sticky at the top of this forum about flashing ICS ROMs, specifically AOSP ROMs like CM9. I HIGHLY suggest you read it, as just about everything you're planning on doing includes a high risk of corrupting your EMMC and hard bricking your phone.

First, uninstall ROM Manager. Using it to "fake flash" CWM on the E4GT is asking for a brick.

Second, go here ...

[ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

Use these files and follow the installation instructions carefully.

Install Guide: Cyanogenmod Epic Touch: CM9 Install Guide
    dtm_stretch likes this.
    07-02-2012 08:10 PM
    Ah apologies. The last thing I rooted/romed was my HTC hero 2 years ago. Back then Rom Manager was the best thing. Its crazy how fast everything changes.

Thank you very much!

*edit* I rooted with Odin and looks like I missed the step where you could root + install it with CWM. If I wanted to do it that way can I just repeat the steps or do I need to unroot/re root?
    07-02-2012 08:22 PM
    If you are rooted already you can just flash this kernel and it will have CWM baked in.

StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5
    sarcazmo likes this.
    07-02-2012 10:53 PM
    Sorry not sure how to flash that kernel without cwm?
    07-02-2012 11:29 PM
    Odin or you can download mobile Odin from the market but it's $5.
    sarcazmo likes this.
    07-02-2012 11:56 PM
    Ok that actually seems really simple just watched qbkings video.

So if I flash this kernal I should reboot just fine. All my data will still be intact correct? I already backed it up with my backup pro but I figured once I do this I can do a nandroid back up.

From there I can just flash into CMW and flash whichever desired rom? Once thats done just redl all my apps etc?
    07-03-2012 01:36 AM
    Yeah as long as you are stock rooted then the kernel will be compatible so you can reboot no problem, otherwise you would have to do the battery pull before it reboots. All your data will be there. The kernel won't change anything.
    sarcazmo likes this.
    07-03-2012 02:02 AM
    Alright thank you I successfully have EL26 kernel showing up.

Booted into CMW and created a nandroid backup.

If I want to try Dark Ices mod... I just put it on my SD card, boot into CMW and flash from SD card correct?
    07-03-2012 03:24 AM
    I always wipe first just to be safe. I install Caulkins Format all zip and then install the Rom. Haven't had any issues.
    sarcazmo likes this.
    07-03-2012 12:07 PM
    Thanks so much for all the help! Last question. So now if I want to flash another rom I just need to dl the rom, use the wipeall, and flash away?

Or rather do I need to restore from the nandroid back to EL26, then use the wipeall, then flash?
    07-03-2012 03:30 PM
    I always go back to el26 just to be safe. Sometimes it is not necessary though. Restoring your backup will take ages. I just use mobile Odin to reflash el26 and then pull the battery, boot into cwm, run Format All, and flash the new rom.
    07-03-2012 06:12 PM
    So thats all I have to do? Use mobile odin, reflash? Wow that seems so simple!
    07-03-2012 07:20 PM
    It really is...
    sarcazmo likes this.
    07-03-2012 07:53 PM
    Thanks ive been a flashing fool all day today!
    07-03-2012 08:57 PM
    Awesome! Glad I could help. It is addicting huh?
    07-03-2012 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD