Modem clarifications please

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I ask for my benefit and all those of us that want to try a different modem, but are confused by the different naming conventions and number of modems available.

1) Modem names have EL, EK, EG, FE, FF, etc. Does the numbering and lettering follow the logical sequence? EL30 came after EL29, etc? And why are there so many different versions (E series, F series, etc).

2) If I am running rooted EL29 GB and want to change my modem, what can I try?

I've searched and looked at modem posts, but they remain slightly confusing; helpful, sort of, but confusing. This link, [Modem] [Odin] FG20! FF18, FF02! FE21, FE16, FE10, FE07, FD24, EL29, EL26, EG30, EK02 - Page 126 - xda-developers, has 126 pages. I know this isn't an exact science, but I would like to get educated as to what the different names (letters mean), and then I can decide on my own.

Thank you community.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
E is for 2011. So f would be 2012. The second letter is month the numbers following that are the day. So ff18 means it was created june 18 of 2012. You can flash any modem to any build. You can use el29 which was packed in the gingerbread release with ics. Modems are user preference. If you find an older one gives you more signal or faster speeds then that's great. Flash it. Newer radios do not mean they are better for your area. I get better signal with the fc 15 modem than any other so I choose to stay on it. ,modems are not packed into custom roms. If you use sfhub's one click full restores it does include it. If you flash any current custom rom you will still have whatever modem you had before. Hope that helps. Anymore questions about that and I will gladly help.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

brady747

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replying to this patrao and thanks for asking nabril, I had similar questions in my mind but hadn't had a chance to ask. While we are on the subject, can I flash modems on ICS roms from mobile odin without worrying about bricks?? Going back to EL26 stock, etc. is quite time consuming to try and figure out what modem is working best in my area.

Best,
Brady

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
No. Mobile Odin is not able to flash those. There are however safe recoveries now. Use the blu kuban, agats, or chris41g's kernels and you are good to go

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that recovery's based on Gingerbread binaries are able to flash modems. ICS repacks are not. What I usually do is flash to an el26 recovery, flash modem, then re-flash ROM and reboot.

If you are on a Gingerbread ROM then no need to re-flash another recovery.

t_galownia

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Pardon my noobness. i am in between phase. Smart enough to follow directions but not smart enough to fix what is wrong. I have a few questions if ok to ask.

I lose wifi unless entirely on top of router or hotspot. works entirely fine on GB

Are radios similar to modems. i cant match which radio for which rom.

I would like to be on vm 9 or 10 with all my services byt if it isnt one thing i lose it us domerhung else.

Thank you in advance

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Wifi issues are usually related to the kernel, not the modem. The modem file handles the cellular radio for voice and data.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah jay Is right. Find cm9 beta1 on xda by chris41g. Awesome rom and really stable. I do not have any problems with my wifi speed. Also I am now on the fi03 modem which is definately the best one for my area of San Diego. Try to find one that works for you. As jay said the modem is for 3g and wimax. Wifi is kernel

t_galownia

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Jay patrao. thank you. I am still a little confused and no 1 said anything about radios. Does this mean any ICS radio kernel another name is compatible with each other. Is it OS specific or is it rom specific

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
A radio is a modem. Same thing. You can use any version radio on any os we have for this phone. You can use el29 on ics rom. Its all got to do with your location and how well each one runs for you.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The only things specific would be kernel and rom combos. You can only use touchwiz ics kernel for touchwiz ics roms. Only aosp kernel for aosp rom. Ics for ics, gb for gb, jb for jb. Also its best to use the same number for kernels and roms. So try to use ff18 kernel with only ff18 rom.

t_galownia

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I have done step by step everything exactly the way it is told and I am missing something. it is kind of random what won't work upon the Otay update or just 3 flashing or whatever the case maybe.