Is it possisble, with a root phone?
    08-14-2012 10:35 AM
    Yes. You can download a kernel repacked with CWM directly to your phone, and flash it with Mobile Odin. You'd also need to download and install Mobile Odin from XDA if you have a forum account, or you can purchase it from the Play Store. Make sure the kernel you flash is compatible with whatever ROM base you're on.
    08-14-2012 10:52 AM
    Also make sure its in a tar format. If its a zip you cannot use mobile odin to flash it. So it would be kernel.tar where kernel is whatever you downloaded.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch
    08-14-2012 01:10 PM
    Yes. You can download a kernel repacked with CWM directly to your phone, and flash it with Mobile Odin. You'd also need to download and install Mobile Odin from XDA if you have a forum account, or you can purchase it from the Play Store. Make sure the kernel you flash is compatible with whatever ROM base you're on.
    um. . . i'm really not sure. . . but . . . don't you have to be rooted to use mobile odin? ? ?
    08-20-2012 06:09 PM
    um. . . i'm really not sure. . . but . . . don't you have to be rooted to use mobile odin? ? ?
    Yes you need root to use mobile odin.
    08-20-2012 06:40 PM
    You can install clockworkmod recovery from a Rooted phone using ROM manager, which is available in the app store

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    08-20-2012 07:56 PM
    I would highly suggest staying away from rom manager guys. It has caused bricks in the past and will again I'm sure.

garwynn likes this.
    08-20-2012 08:11 PM
    Wasn't that when it was with the emmc bug and all recoveries were risky business?

08-20-2012 08:18 PM
    I would highly suggest staying away from rom manager guys. It has caused bricks in the past and will again I'm sure.

+1

Jmuney, Rom manager causes bricks by itself, it doesn't need help from the emmc bug. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710
    kango 99 likes this.
    08-20-2012 08:20 PM
    Ya it temp flashes a recovery which can cause a brick if you use it. Our recovery unlike most phones is packed inside of the kernel. Other phones the recovery is seperate

Bigt2003 likes this.
    08-20-2012 08:29 PM
    Serious? That is so lame. Times like this, I hate android. Keeping up with this stuff is too much of a chore.

08-20-2012 08:40 PM
    Serious? That is so lame. Times like this, I hate android. Keeping up with this stuff is too much of a chore.

That's what Android Central is here for

Sent from my SPH-D710
    garwynn likes this.
    08-20-2012 08:44 PM
    +1

Jmuney, Rom manager causes bricks by itself, it doesn't need help from the emmc bug. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710
    I just had to lol at that one. Mobile Odin is the way to go without a pc.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    08-20-2012 08:53 PM

Chore? No ones forcing you to enjoy this jelly bean goodness.

And as far as I know you have to be rooted to use mobile odin, and then after that you can do everything from the phone. That's pretty much what I do.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    08-21-2012 01:46 AM
    Wasn't that when it was with the emmc bug and all recoveries were risky business?
    At one point this was true... But Agat and others have made the necessary changes to avoid triggering the bug.

If in doubt ask if the kernel is safe. Most custom ones are nowadays... Stock unfortunately is not and may never be.

Sent from my SPH-D710
    08-23-2012 02:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD