Thinking about Flashing to the CM10 JB Rom... 2 questions first

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I am pretty new to Rooting / Flashing / etc. I want to play around with CM10 JB.

I recently rooted my phone using the Odin 1 step process with the FH18. So now my phone is rooted.

I am about to install CWM using QBKING77's method.

I also was going to install the CM10 JB ROM using QBKING77's methos too.

Few questions before I get started.

1) I want to back up all my apps / data so I don't have to re-download everything when I am done flashing CM10. Will a NANDROID back up do this or will need to get Titanium Backup?

2) When I want to go back to stock ICS FH18, what do I do? Will using Odin again do it? If not, what do I need to flash back to stock ICS?

Thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I am pretty new to Rooting / Flashing / etc. I want to play around with CM10 JB.

I recently rooted my phone using the Odin 1 step process with the FH18. So now my phone is rooted.

I am about to install CWM using QBKING77's method.

I also was going to install the CM10 JB ROM using QBKING77's methos too.

Few questions before I get started.

1) I want to back up all my apps / data so I don't have to re-download everything when I am done flashing CM10. Will a NANDROID back up do this or will need to get Titanium Backup?

2) When I want to go back to stock ICS FH18, what do I do? Will using Odin again do it? If not, what do I need to flash back to stock ICS?

Thanks!

1. Use titanium Backup for app backup and data restore.
2. The method you posted will get you back to stock ICS. Be sure to follow the instructions to a T :)

third son

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
In addition to what srkmagnus said....

Nandroid is essentially a snapshot of everything on your phone at the time you do your backup. You would be unable to install only your apps on a system restore from nandroid. Once nandroid is used to restore it will be exactly as you had it previously. Titanium restores apps and system data regardless of what ROM you are on. Some things are hard to restore from titanium when switching ROMS but as a whole it does a pretty good job. An example would be if you wanted to restore WiFi settings, it would remember a WEP secured password (like at home.).

It is usually recommended that you are on the same recovery when restoring the nandroid that you created it from.

Last edited:

Musicman1466

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Be careful with that CM10, it's still having serous battery problems.... like the battery life SUCKS, but if you don't mind having to charge your phone 3 times a day under normal use be my guest......

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Be careful with that CM10, it's still having serous battery problems.... like the battery life SUCKS, but if you don't mind having to charge your phone 3 times a day under normal use be my guest......

I believe experiences will vary. I had great battery life and could easily go a day without charging and light-medium use if the building I worked in had better reception; I get poor reception so my phone is constantly looking for a cell/data signal.

Give it a shot -- be sure to read up on the install process first and ask plenty of questions -- and decide for yourself. If you don't like it simply reflash another ROM you are confortable with and try JB in the future once source is released (assuming we really do see a final, source released build of JB) and reassess.

third son

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

I think most choose a custom ROM for the fun and interesting experience it provides. Battery life is one of those nebulous things that varies from day to day. I never have the same battery life on contiguous days even when on the same ROM because I tend to do very different tasks from one day to the next. It is simple enough to flash back to a favorite stable ROM if a new one is not what you want or need. Plus you may even learn something along the way :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC