[FK23 / FI27] Phone freezes at "4G" screen during boot process

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll preface this by saying my replacement SII, which was probably a refurb (original developed a faulty power button), occasionally started freezing a few days ago whenever I'd use the back or home button to exit an application. A minute or two after the phone completely freezing, it would reboot on its own.

Anyway, I used Odin to flash FK23 (rooted, all data wiped). It went fine, I restored my GO Backup, and played around with it for a little while; it seemed to be running smoothly. Then the phone's screen went black and required that I pull the battery to restart the phone. I figured it might be a problem with FK23 so I flashed FI27 (rooted, preserve data). It went well until the phone froze during the boot process at the "4G" screen.

I pulled the battery, then tried flashing the stock version of FI27 (in case I have to take the phone to a Sprint store). The flash went fine, but it's still hanging at the "4G" screen during the boot process.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or what might have gone wrong? Holding power+down vol still gets me into Odin mode...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend you flash the full wipe version again, but this time, only restore apps + data that you REALLY need, install everything else manually. You probably have some app data not playing nice with JB.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd recommend you flash the full wipe version again, but this time, only restore apps + data that you REALLY need, install everything else manually. You probably have some app data not playing nice with JB.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry if I wasn't clear before: I can't get past the "4G" screen that shows up during the boot process. I can get into Odin mode and "successfully" flash to whatever version of the firmware I want, but when the phone tries to reboot after the flash process, it gets stuck on the "4G" screen. That means I can't get to the home screen and can't restore any apps, data, etc.

I'm still researching how to fix the problem, but it sounds like I partially bricked my phone based on this: Samsung Galaxy S Stuck At Boot Screen, Recover Partial Brick

Does anyone know of a guide specific to the GSII that I can use?

blakew595

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
You could try restoring from a backup in clockwork (what I assume your saying is Odin)
I had a problem where i put in a different boot animation and it just sat there on a black screen (went thru the galaxy s2 animation then blacked out where the 4g used to be)

Sent from my SPH-D710

Nonja

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Flashing Gingerbread via Odin did the trick. I upgraded to ICS then to JB. I restored my apps (app only, not data) using GO Backup Pro, and it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

huntinator7

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I did this same thing when I installed a JB ROM with a bad cord. Even with a good cord, it still wasn't working. But after I did a factory reset, then flashed a rooted FI27 ROM, it worked as normal, although all my apps were gone.