thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Note
Please note that this still is a work in progress which basically means it's a concept & idea until I get a working build.
  • When I get a booting build, please note that it is considered alpha and shouldn't be for daily use.
  • Also, Ubuntu Touch doesn't support CDMA as well as many other features so please note that when a build is ready.

Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview
for the Sprint Galaxy S II

The modified kernel and device tree are available on my GitHub, http://www.github.com/Ubuntu-EpicTouch. It was modified from a base AOSP/CM10.1 device tree provided by many people including chris41g, sbrissen, and many others. The device proprietary blobs used were provided by TheMuppets GitHub. Thanks to the many contributions to the kernel, this wouldn't be possible without you guys.

Please note that this is still a Work-in-Progress and is considered a proof-of-concept until a working build is released. If you wish to try to port UbuntuTOUCH, please visit
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Porting.

Below is a list of what works in the preview and what doesn't, thanks to XDA-DEVELOPERS:

Question : What Works?
Answer : As this is a Developer Build, dont expect much to work. The items that have been confirmed to work are;

• Touchscreen
  • Sound (over speakers)
  • Display
  • Internet Browser
  • WiFi (No WPS)
  • Camera (Front and Back)
  • Video Player
  • ADB
  • Screen Brightness Controls
  • Automatic Brightness
  • Speech Driven HUD (Yes, it works)
  • GSM Voice (No APN Settings)
  • The SideStage Seems to be working
Question : What Does Not Work?
Answer : As this is a developer build, dont expect things to work properly, here are a few things that are not working

• 3G/4G Data
  • Audio Out via Headphones
  • HDMI
  • Bluetooth
  • Most Applications and Menus
  • Charging Indicator
  • Software Center (Note : You can install simple shell applications via apt-get install ? once inside the chroot)
  • Most applications are placeholders
  • MMS
  • CDMA Connections
  • SIM Storage
  • Auto Rotation (Or any rotation for that matter)
  • Random Crashes when swiping
  • Notifications (All of them are placeholders)
  • Most Applications that do function are web apps like m.gmail.com.
  • NFC

As I progress forward in this project, this post as well as many other posts by me may change.

Last edited:

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: [WIP]UbuntuPhone Alpha for Sprint Galaxy S II

I knew someone over here would be doing it! Was waiting for a dev on xda to post something but no one has yet.

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: [WIP]UbuntuPhone Alpha for Sprint Galaxy S II

Why doesn't it surprise me that nothing has been posted?

I'm not developer but if I was, I would give the community some kind of status updates.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon