Turning E4GT into a "Galaxy Player"?

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I am about to upgrade from my trusty E4GT to a new phone.

I am thinking about giving my daughter the E4GT to use as a music / movie / Game (a la Galaxy Player). It won't be activated as a cell phone any more.

What do I need to do? I know how to set it up under her e-mail address and she will only be able to have Wifi access.

But.. is there anything I need to / should delete off the phone to make it easier / work better for her? I don't want it to always be looking for a cell signal or anything like that.

It is rooted, if that helps at all.

If I remember right, I tried this with my old EVO but it keep trying to find a cell signal and kept giving an Error message of some sort. I want to avoid that with this one.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've had devices that I was able to just flip it on Airplane mode and then enable the Wi-Fi manually, so that the cell radios would be off but Wi-Fi would still function. You could try that.

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
First factory reset the or flash as stock ROM. This way you know everything works and then turn off mobile data or turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi on like the previous post mentioned.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am about to upgrade from my trusty E4GT to a new phone.

I am thinking about giving my daughter the E4GT to use as a music / movie / Game (a la Galaxy Player). It won't be activated as a cell phone any more.

What do I need to do? I know how to set it up under her e-mail address and she will only be able to have Wifi access.

But.. is there anything I need to / should delete off the phone to make it easier / work better for her? I don't want it to always be looking for a cell signal or anything like that.

It is rooted, if that helps at all.

If I remember right, I tried this with my old EVO but it keep trying to find a cell signal and kept giving an Error message of some sort. I want to avoid that with this one.

My old E4GT is essentially a Galaxy Player now. All I did was activated the new device. My phone still reads cell signal, but I can't make a call.

glenesis

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd just add that after your E4GT is deactivated from service, put and keep it in Airplane Mode, so it does not waste battery looking for a signal. You can turn on WiFi mode while the phone is in Airplane Mode.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'd just add that after your E4GT is deactivated from service, put and keep it in Airplane Mode, so it does not waste battery looking for a signal. You can turn on WiFi mode while the phone is in Airplane Mode.

You will need to disable mobile data, which should help.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

I'm almost positive that's you can't enable wifi with airplane mode know.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost positive that's you can't enable wifi with airplane mode know.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

You can. I just tested it. Enabling Airplane mode turns wifi off, but then you can re-toggle on wifi and get data.

Also, hi guys! Long time no see! ;)

SeaJayCam

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All

I'm new here but so far I can agree with all that's been said about the Epic Touch as a Galaxy Player. I bought one here in the UK where the phone functions cannot be used (so it was cheap) and just put it into airplane mode to stop it searching for a signal (big drain on battery). Didn't have to do anything special. Everything works fine including WiFi, browsing, emails etc. GPS is a bit flaky and slow to register as I presume it normally uses service to assist location. Advantage is the bigger screen and Jelly Bean over the Galaxy Player 4.2 that I was originally intending to buy and half the cost.

Have never rooted anything before but am tempted to get rid of the (useless in UK) Sprint apps and I would like to add the FM radio that seems to be a possibility.

Cheers