[SOLVED] Flashed EG4T-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 using ODIN Mobile, and now stuck in CWM menu

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of anything like this. People often have trouble flashing custom ROMs and/or rooting, with the result that they can't get past the Galaxy logo screen. But I never heard of the recovery menu not working. After using Odin Mobile to flash the above tar file, my phone goes straight to recovery, top-level menu. But nothing in that menu works. That is, the volume rocker will roll the highlight up and down the way it's supposed to, but power button does nothing. I can't get to the sub-menus, so I can't restore from my last working state via Nandroid. At least I do have a copy of the Nandroid on my PC, but I can't get to the copy on my phone. I don't suppose an adb link would work either.

As for what my original objective is, I wanted to go back to a stock rom so I could run system and prl profile updates.

How badly did I brick my phone, and is there any way I can fix this?

ETA: Relevant links: I was trying to follow these instructions augmented by these (see Post 2). Because I'm running Odin Mobile Pro I thought it would gather anything it needed that wasn't already there, or safely abort.

ETA: Although the automatic device recognition in Windows doesn't work, my PC is apparently able to find generic USB drivers for the phone, I'm trying now to see whether an adb session on my PC might be able to work with the phone; will update results here.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Please help! Flashed EG4T-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 using ODIN Mobile, and now stuck in CWM

I've never heard of anything like this. People often have trouble flashing custom ROMs and/or rooting, with the result that they can't get past the Galaxy logo screen. But I never heard of the recovery menu not working. After using Odin Mobile to flash the above tar file, my phone goes straight to recovery, top-level menu. But nothing in that menu works. That is, the volume rocker will roll the highlight up and down the way it's supposed to, but power button does nothing. I can't get to the sub-menus, so I can't restore from my last working state via Nandroid. At least I do have a copy of the Nandroid on my PC, but I can't get to the copy on my phone. I don't suppose an adb link would work either.

As for what my original objective is, I wanted to go back to a stock rom so I could run system and prl profile updates.

How badly did I brick my phone, and is there any way I can fix this?

ETA: Relevant links: I was trying to follow these instructions augmented by these (see Post 2). Because I'm running Odin Mobile Pro I thought it would gather anything it needed that wasn't already there, or safely abort.

ETA: Although the automatic device recognition in Windows doesn't work, my PC is apparently able to find generic USB drivers for the phone, I'm trying now to see whether an adb session on my PC might be able to work with the phone; will update results here.

First try home button to accept. You can also try volume up-down-up (or vice versa, can't remember which) to enable the back option and power button to work.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Please help! Flashed EG4T-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 using ODIN Mobile, and now stuck in CWM

First try home button to accept. You can also try volume up-down-up (or vice versa, can't remember which) to enable the back option and power button to work.

Whoo that was quick, and on a holiday to boot--greatly appreciated I assure you.

The rocker switch and home icon worked, but I had to use Advanced restore to get to the Nandroid backup from earlier today. I started the restore, but it failed at the Restoring System step.

ETA: Still hosed, although I should eventually be able to get my S2 back if the adage is true that a phone that can be powered up can be fixed. Meanwhile, it looks like tonight's project is to re-activate my Optimus just so I'll have some kind of phone to use. [insert crying and wailing smiley]

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Whoo that was quick, and on a holiday to boot--greatly appreciated I assure you.

The rocker switch and home icon worked, but I had to use Advanced restore to get to the Nandroid backup from earlier today. I started the restore, but it failed at the Restoring System step.

ETA: Still hosed, although I should eventually be able to get my S2 back if the adage is true that a phone that can be powered up can be fixed. Meanwhile, it looks like tonight's project is to re-activate my Optimus just so I'll have some kind of phone to use. [insert crying and wailing smiley]

Should be able to flash stock ROM. At least you can start with a clean slate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Fixed!

My lucky day, as it turned out. Somehow, I managed to get my Epic into Odin download mode, so it seemed reasonable to try running desktop Odin to see if my pahone and my PC would recognize each other via the software and cable.

They recognized each other, hurra!

So I was able to install the F127 kernel from here and now I have the Sprint stock OS in place. It should be rooted, but I still need to check on that. Meanwhile, though, I've gotten the Sprint system and PRL updates successfully run which was the main reason I was messing about with the device at all.

At this point I'm inclined just to leave it stock although I will go so far as to root it if it isn't already rooted. Because I finally found a couple of elbow jack adapters that will work with most ear buds, one big reason I needed CM10.1 no longer matters.

'

Last edited:

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site

Should be able to flash stock ROM. At least you can start with a clean slate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AC Forums mobile app

Missed this before--I was probably doing exactly that when you were posting this.

Thanks again for all your help.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Missed this before--I was probably doing exactly that when you were posting this.

Thanks again for all your help.

No sweat. Check out QBKing77 on YouTube. He has some great videos on the Sprint S2, S3, and S4.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams