Making my Epic 4g Touch into a Galaxy Nexus

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I just acquired an Epic 4g Touch off Craigslist for use on RingPlus. So far I'm liking the phone and free cell plan. Now I would like to install a custom ROM that mimics the minimalist Nexus interface of my wife's Galaxy Nexus. The three most promising ROMs that I've tested so far are CM10.1 and SuperNexus2.0, and SuperNexus3.0. None of these ROMs were able to do mobile data (or maybe it's operator error :)). Any ideas what I should try next? Thanks

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It may be a slight modem incompatibility. But as for what specifically to try, I am not sure. Have you emailed CM to see what they say about it?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It may be a slight modem incompatibility. But as for what specifically to try, I am not sure. Have you emailed CM to see what they say about it?
I have read on the instructions for installing CM10.1 at:
the following:
  1. Do NOT use a JB modem
  2. Flash a safe recovery (if required)
  3. Flash an ICS modem (if required)
  4. Wipe everything except sdcards if coming from any ROM except CM10
  5. Wipe cache and dalvik-cache and after boot wipe data on clock if flashing new version from previous installation of CM10
  6. Wipe cache and dalvik-cache if flashing new version from previous installation of CM10.1
  7. Flash ROM
  8. Flash GAPPS (if new installation or coming from CM10)
  9. Reboot
  10. Change kernel governor and change back
  11. ???
  12. Profit
It's steps 1 and 3 that I have trouble understanding. Can anyone elaborate? At present my Baseband shows GB27 which I interpret to be a Jelly Bean version. Assuming that's correct I'm in violation of step 1, right? That suggests that in step 3 I must install an ICS modem, correct? I've tried the one-click Oden to flash FI27, but this also returned the software version to FI27 which I didn't think was desirable. I could also try flashing the FI27 modem via mobileODIN, but I don't think the free version permits that. Anyway, it be very much appreciated if anyone can walk me through the initial steps described. Thanks

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
For whatever reason, (probably the one you are experiencing) a Jelly Bean modem is not recommended. A modem is what allows you to connect to the internet and make phone calls. You may be able to find a modem to flash with ODIN on XDAdevelopers.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
It seems that interest in the Epic 4g Touch is waning as it ages. I had hoped to hear from other owners running custom ROMs who are having success with WiFi and 3g. It's still a great smartphone and can be picked up for ~ $75 used. It makes a great budget phone on RingPlus's free plan. Anyone?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've decided to sell my Epic 4g Touch and buy the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. The primary motivation is to be more compatible with my wife's gsm Galaxy Nexus. Thanks for all the feedback.