The Essential Phone - Yay or Nay?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about it. The fact that it's unlocked and compatible with all US carriers is a plus. No water resistance and headphone jack is unfortunate. I'm not bothered by the front facing camera like some people.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Sold by Verizon or works on Verizon?

Preferably sold by Verizon, I like to buy my phones from the store, but this one looks really appealing to me so I might be willing to be a little bit flexible this time, in that regard, and buy from Essential directly as long as it works on Verizon...

I'm really hyped about this phone partly because of who's making it and partly because it looks really slick to me with that true-bezzelless display and what's basically stock Android! I read somewhere this morning that its 7.1.1 too!!!
That's not likely according to this:

U.S. carriers confirm the Essential Phone will work on their networks, but none will offer it directly

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And where exactly should it be on a bezel'less display? If it had a bezel then people would be complaining about that....

Personally I think it's fine and I'd rather have that than a bezel that stretches the entire length of the phone..
On the bottom chin like the Aquos Crystal and Mi Mix.

I personally dislike this design. I find it much more distracting than a sliver of top bezel, especially when viewed at night.

Once you see it, it's very hard to unsee it.

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
As far as Verizon goes Android Authority had this to say... "While the phone might work on Verizon, we can’t promise the same experience and quality of service as devices that have been tested and approved for use on our network."

I guess that's a quote from Verizon themselves I'm not really sure but it doesn't sound promising...

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
As far as Verizon goes Android Authority had this to say... "While the phone might work on Verizon, we can’t promise the same experience and quality of service as devices that have been tested and approved for use on our network."

I guess that's a quote from Verizon themselves I'm not really sure but it doesn't sound promising...
Yeah, I double checked, it was a Verizon rep that said it... I wouldn't want to spend $699 on a phone and have a bad experience trying to set it up and/or use it...

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
On the bottom chin like the Aquos Crystal and Mi Mix.

I personally dislike this design. I find it much more distracting than a sliver of top bezel, especially when viewed at night.

Once you see it, it's very hard to unsee it.

I think it would look goofy on the bottom.. I kind of dig the design...

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the reservation list.
Don't care about waterproof.
I have yet to drop a phone in the water.
That's what insurance is for.
The camera in the front? If It makes it smaller (shorter), I'm okay.
Not too expensive. Costs less than the Pixel and $50 for the 360 camera.

I have a Nexus 6P and th PH-1 is my next phone.
I won't buy any phone with carrier branding.
I won't buy a phone that I can't get unlocked and compatible with Verizon.
I will not buy a phone that I don't own. The paradigm of this phone is the I own it.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
For $700, I'd expect a combination of wireless charging (not the proprietary charging dock for added $$$), water resistance, and a headphone jack. The lack of any of those features makes it a no-go for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
For $700, I'd expect a combination of wireless charging (not the proprietary charging dock for added $$$), water resistance, and a headphone jack. The lack of any of those features makes it a no-go for me.

Did you by chance watch the interview with Andy Rubin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol