The Essential Phone - Yay or Nay?

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The PH-1's titanium should help since the metal frame covers what looks to be most of the edge curving around to the back. That assumes a perfect edge drop, however.
Yes, exactly. The titanium adds a layer of protection other phones do not have. Naturally REAL WORLD use could make it all worthless, but we shall see.

I am just curious how reliant the phone will be on Google services. Will it be completely reliant? Rumor has it no and that would be good for me when I go to flipping China for business.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I am just curious how reliant the phone will be on Google services. Will it be completely reliant? Rumor has it no and that would be good for me when I go to flipping China for business.
I hadn't considered that aspect but agree it would be awesome to see it able to be cleared of Google Services if desired, either with the stock ROM or an optional ROM. I've not seen any documentation or rumors myself so I do hope you're right. All I've seen on their Twitter account is that the bootloader will be unlockable. No mention of how their ROM(s) will be set up.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
So tired of waiting....

Well Rubin said on the 21st that people will have it in hand in a few weeks. I take a few weeks to mean 2 weeks so from the 21st that would August 4th.. If that date holds true then they better be sending out incoices by the end of the week so they can ship them next week..

Of course a few weeks could mean 6, 8 or even 12...

I am skeptical but we shall see. I am still on the fence. If glossy is all that's offered at launch I am an instant PASS but if they offer matte versions then I'll have a tough decission to make.. This all assumes a few weeks is actually meaning 2 and not more than that.

At this point, and with the continued lack of anything from them, I assume a few weeks will probably stretch out to months...

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
By literal definition, a couple is two and a few is three. Mid-August at best if taken literally.

Gloss black and gloss white are all they'll have at launch. I've asked twice now; once early on and once this week. Matte black is in "keep an eye on our social media for announcements" robotic reply status, meaning they have no idea right now.

Those waiting for matte black or ocean blue will be waiting longer. How much longer is unknown. I want matte black but still plan to order gloss black. They have a 30-day return window.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I would say this is the worse launch in phone history but I think the Blackberry KEYone holds that title for now..

I have not bothered them with questions so I'll take your word as far as the matte options goes. If that's the case then I'll have zero interest until after the Pixel 2 is announced and / or matte is an option.

I've had glossy phones beofre and NO THANKS! After 1.3 seconds of touching them, they look like a hot, sticky, gooey, fingerprint smudge mess...

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I agree that it has a high chance of being a smudge magnet. Ceramic is better with smudges but not impervious. I'm willing to give it a shot and return if it's bad, then likely re-order matte when available. If there's anything I'm impatient about, it's not the initial launch but the color choices. They should have worked to figure out market demand and make all four colors available right away.

The KEYone launch was pretty bad. I liked mine all up until the June software patch killed background tasks and TCL announced the revised adhesive fix in later phones. It gave me two solid reasons to return it and give Essential a try. TCL's customer service was lackluster so I'm hoping Essential gets things together in that department.

I haven't followed the Pixel 2 rumors closely but haven't seen anything substantial that will set it apart from the PH-1 other than it launching with Android O. I could be missing something obvious, of course. The rumored renders look rather plain to me... assuming they're somewhat accurate.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
From what I've seen of the Pixel 2 rumors, it might be a pass for me as well, if they are true.

I really want a large screen in a smaller form factor phone, which the PH1 does. The non XL Pixel 2 looks to have the same large'ish bezels as the Pixel. It looks like the Pixel 2 XL might reduce them some but not on the non XL.

I am back to using my Z5 Compact for now so I guess I'll take a wait and see. The White glossy PH1 might show less smudges. I briefly had an X Compact (glossy) in white and it did subdue the smudges more than the black version did.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
From what I've seen of the Pixel 2 rumors, it might be a pass for me as well, if they are true.

I really want a large screen in a smaller form factor phone, which the PH1 does. The non XL Pixel 2 looks to have the same large'ish bezels as the Pixel. It looks like the Pixel 2 XL might reduce them some but not on the non XL.

I am back to using my Z5 Compact for now so I guess I'll take a wait and see. The White glossy PH1 might show less smudges. I briefly had an X Compact (glossy) in white and it did subdue the smudges more than the black version did.

Funny you mention the compact because it's yet one more reason I am holding off until the end of September. There are several rumors about a xz compact with the 835 and 4gb ram. Me likey...

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Funny you mention the compact because it's yet one more reason I am holding off until the end of September. There are several rumors about a xz compact with the 835 and 4gb ram. Me likey...
Love the Sony Compact line. Had the Z3C, XC and Z5C. The Z5C is my favorite phone all time, hands down.

I am keeping an eye on the XZ1C as well but the rumored price tag has put me off a bit..

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
The only thing about this phone that is upsetting is the lack of water resistance.
They're working on getting an IP57 rating per their Twitter account. Like I mentioned in another post, IPx7 is good to 1/10th BAR of water pressure or 1 meter submersion. IPx8 would be better but IPx7 is certainly better than nothing.

IP5x or IP6x only refers to dust intrusion. Both are perfectly acceptable for everyday pocket lint.

This could also explain the slight delay. IP57 would be possible last-minute with an improved speaker housing, tape used in strategic locations around the inner frame, and a hydrophobic coating on the mainboard. IP58 or IP68 would take more work, especially this late in the game. If this is why it's delayed (which is pure speculation on my part) then I'd gladly take an IP rating if it means waiting an extra handful of weeks beyond the initial release window.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You guys think a 5.7" screen with a 3040 mAh battery is going to have decent enough battery life? I'm excited for this phone, but am worried the battery life won't be good.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
You guys think a 5.7" screen with a 3040 mAh battery is going to have decent enough battery life? I'm excited for this phone, but am worried the battery life won't be good.

Might. Galaxy s8 has a bit larger screen and a bit smaller battery and I get great battery life.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
A six-year-old who grabs for your phone when you're not paying attention could make it all worthless. :D

I watched as a 4 year old brat grabbed his mother's iPhone 7 and threw it across a parking lot. The final result wasn't pretty. So sturdy = good in my book.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I still would like a bumper case like I had on my Nexus 4. It would at least make me feel like the phone is better protected.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone still run their phone naked or am I the only one left?

I run my older phones naked, like now I am sporting my old Droid Turbo sans case or screen protector. Anytime I drop a couple bucks on a pristine new device I like some insurance though, at least a bumper case.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc