The Essential Phone - Yay or Nay?

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I also see you can click the link in the email. Then at the website click the link at the bottom to go back. i forget exactly what it says. And back more. You can then see the shopping cart at top and empty it.

cstmstyle

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
As I finalized my order for the phone yesterday I realize I need to get some USB C cables. Can anyone recommend some that would work with the phone? Anker looks decent but I've never owned USB C cables so want to make sure what I get will work.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I bought a set of 5 cables from Aukey via Amazon. The package include a 1' cable, 3 - 3.3' cables and 1 - 6.6' cable. I believe I paid around $15-20 for the items.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Black is the only color available right now. They said white will be available in a couple of weeks. No word on the gray and ocean colors.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
As I finalized my order for the phone yesterday I realize I need to get some USB C cables. Can anyone recommend some that would work with the phone? Anker looks decent but I've never owned USB C cables so want to make sure what I get will work.

anker makes quality stuff. I ordered extra cables and chargers from them

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I have an Iphone 7 that is going to be gone soon but I am wrestling with the Essential vs the Ip8. With Apple you know you are going to always get updates and I know Andy has just said that he will provide Nexus like updates. But it is such a small company. Do I buy based on what he has said? The Essential is heavy at 185 grams but the lure of a ceramic back is tempting. I like the form factor. I want something that is not too industrial so before I buy I want touchy looky and feely with the Ocean Depth color.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I have an Iphone 7 that is going to be gone soon but I am wrestling with the Essential vs the Ip8. With Apple you know you are going to always get updates and I know Andy has just said that he will provide Nexus like updates. But it is such a small company. Do I buy based on what he has said? The Essential is heavy at 185 grams but the lure of a ceramic back is tempting. I like the form factor. I want something that is not too industrial so before I buy I want touchy looky and feely with the Ocean Depth color.
iOS still isn't able to be customized very much so the first decision to make would be to choose between Android and iOS. The IP8 looks like it will have large borders despite being "bezel-less", plus it has a large area for speaker and camera, so I personally don't see Apple's industrial design being better than the PH-1 or other similar Android device designs. That leaves material choice and the PH-1 wins in being ceramic and titanium. Personally, I don't see the IP8 being all that compelling. But, really, you need to first decide which OS you want. That's where you'll spend most of your time.

Last edited:

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
iOS still isn't able to be customized very much so the first decision to make would be to choose between Android and iOS. The IP8 looks like it will have large borders despite being "bezel-less", plus it has a large area for speaker and camera, so I personally don't see Apple's industrial design being better than the PH-1 or other similar Android device designs. That leaves material choice and the PH-1 wins in being ceramic and titanium. Personally, I don't see the IP8 being all that compelling. But, really, you need to first decide which OS you want. That's where you'll spend most of your time.
I can't decide between IOS and Android......so i always have at least one of each

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Until we have reviews it's all speculation. I know it sucks, but we won't know jack until mid next week.

I am praying that SPRINT has actual units in store tomorrow. I REALLY want to touch one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge