Essential plans to expand Phone sales to carriers soon, ship near-stock Android software: https://www.androidcentral.com/essen...-partners-soon

Carriers are important if you want to move significant units.
    05-31-2017 12:05 AM
    Sure carries are important but let's be honest people buying from carriers just want Samsung or Apple. Also, this is the time essential has to put it's foot down and make sure they don't allow useless carriers to touch anything on the phone. If you let them do once then there's no going back. Also, by the looks of it they don't mind if it's a niche device to start​ with since they don't have the scale to cater to large audience. So I would rather have them cater to the nice audience who wants great devices and slowly work into carrier channels and have them not touch anything on the device (especially AT&T and Verizon)
    05-31-2017 05:28 AM
    Sure carries are important but let's be honest people buying from carriers just want Samsung or Apple. Also, this is the time essential has to put it's foot down and make sure they don't allow useless carriers to touch anything on the phone. If you let them do once then there's no going back. Also, by the looks of it they don't mind if it's a niche device to start​ with since they don't have the scale to cater to large audience. So I would rather have them cater to the nice audience who wants great devices and slowly work into carrier channels and have them not touch anything on the device (especially AT&T and Verizon)
    Agree! This is the main reason I never buy a phone from a carrier.. I do not want to spend $700 to be a walking advertisement for them.. Carrier logos are for the birds!

Remember this monstrosity?

05-31-2017 08:54 AM
    Agree! This is the main reason I never buy a phone from a carrier.. I do not want to spend $700 to be a walking advertisement for them.. Carrier logos are for the birds!

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content...axy-note-2.jpg
    Not sure how anyone could tolerate that eyesore everyday 😂😂
    05-31-2017 10:57 AM
    US of course, but people are saying two-thirds buy from the carrier. I'm looking for more data. The 2015 numbers had nine out of ten buying from the carrier. And that 10% was split with a majority being unlocked from Apple, then Motorola, then BLU. Not ZTE, not OnePlus, not Google. BLU.

I want the Essential Phone to succeed. I want people to know about it. I want people to want it. People actually know about the Pixel, thanks to Verizon's marketing push.

(I'll update my post when I get more new information)
    05-31-2017 01:09 PM

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content...axy-note-2.jpg
    ..as I sit here next to my Moto Z Force Droid where the only Verizon logo is the "Droid" branding. There's a prepaid Verizon first gen Moto G in my drawer - no Verizon logo. And no Verizon logo on my wife's Google Pixel.
    05-31-2017 01:13 PM
    ..as I sit here next to my Moto Z Force Droid where the only Verizon logo is the "Droid" branding. There's a prepaid Verizon first gen Moto G in my drawer - no Verizon logo. And no Verizon logo on my wife's Google Pixel.
    Good to know that Verizon has stopped butchering their phones.. Is that the standard now? AT&T still slaps a logo on everything but the iPhone...
    05-31-2017 03:18 PM
    Good to hear that they are working on carriers support
    05-31-2017 03:50 PM
    Good to know that Verizon has stopped butchering their phones.. Is that the standard now? AT&T still slaps a logo on everything but the iPhone...
    Oh it still depends on the phone.

But it's definitely not every phone.
    raqball likes this.
    05-31-2017 03:59 PM
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/01/...rs-andy-rubin/

Take Google's Pixel, for example. As highly anticipated as the device was, Verizon is the only carrier in the US that offers it to post-paid customers. Sure, you can buy it straight from Google unlocked, but that simply isn't enough to move the needle in its favor in terms of market share. "Right now this phone is priced very, very close to the flagships out there from Apple and Samsung," says Brad Akyuz, NPD's Connected Intelligence industry analyst. "I think that's a big challenge."

Akyuz thinks it'll be difficult for the device to reach a mass audience without support from carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon. In particular, he says the Essential Phone could benefit from being offered by carriers on monthly installment plans, the same way they do an iPhone 7 or a Galaxy S8. "Without that," he says, "we're probably looking at a phone, that will do well in a very, very limited niche market."

That said, it also matters how Rubin will view and measure the success of his new product, because it may not be all about the numbers. Along with its new namesake smartphone, Essential also introduced "Home," a smart assistant with a shiny circular design that can be controlled via voice commands. Home is powered by Ambient OS, a new platform that Essential hopes will compete with the likes of Amazon's Alexa and Google's Assistant. (Rubin mentioned that Home will be able to run Siri, Alexa and Assistant at Recode's Code Conference, though it's unclear how that might work.)
    06-01-2017 01:49 PM
    Very true.. The masses get their phones on payments and based on availability in store.. Even if it made it into carrier stores and was sold at full price it would collect dust.. People want payments for some odd reason.. I always pay full price for phones but that's just me..

Geeks will buy it @ full price but the masses won't.. Heck the masses will probably never even know it exists unless it makes it into carrier stores and on payments..
    06-01-2017 01:52 PM
    Very true.. The masses get their phones on payments and based on availability in store.. Even if it made it into carrier stores and was sold at full price it would collect dust.. People want payments for some odd reason.. I always pay full price for phones but that's just me..

Geeks will buy it @ full price but the masses won't.. Heck the masses will probably never even know it exists unless it makes it into carrier stores and on payments..
    It's so crazy that here in China (where I have been working for 3 months) pretty much EVERYONE purchases their phones in cash. When I explained to friends here that Americans buy their phone over a 2 year period, they all reacted with shock.

"Why?"
    "Because no one has $800 cash to buy."
    "Why not?!"

Hilarious.
    SZQnl likes this.
    06-23-2017 11:04 PM
    Phones are expensive and far to many people live pay check to paycheck. I read the other day an amazing amount of people cannot even cover a $500 sudden car repair. It's no wonder they don't pay full price for a phone. But a monthly payment added to the bill is far easier to absorb they think. They cannot be without their Facebook connection 24/7.
    raqball likes this.
    07-01-2017 04:34 PM
    Phones are expensive and far to many people live pay check to paycheck. I read the other day an amazing amount of people cannot even cover a $500 sudden car repair. It's no wonder they don't pay full price for a phone. But a monthly payment added to the bill is far easier to absorb they think. They cannot be without their Facebook connection 24/7.
    Honestly, if you're living paycheck to paycheck, you probably shouldn't be buying a $700-800 phone, even if it's on payments, when you can get one for as little as $50 or in some cases even free. They may not be top of the line, but they're good enough. That extra $25-35 a month is enough for a tank of gas for some people. Speaking from experience, having to learn to live within your means is a hard lesson for some and unfortunately, some never learn it.
    07-01-2017 07:24 PM
    The old "buy now, pay later philosophy. Trouble with that is by the time you pay it off it's used up and you need another, so you can get stuck in that cycle. Phones used to be "cool" before they became ordinary. Having the latest and greatest sometimes caused sensibility to get tossed out the window. These days I keep them as long as practical which is 2+ years for me. I've got other things I need more than the latest and greatest new phone that works the same as my old one.

I hope the Essential is a hit but by the looks around the forum seems like a lot of "meh" interest in it so far.
    07-02-2017 01:09 PM
    I buy phones and then sell them so that I can buy the next phone outright. Usually means I am spending 200-300 dollars on the next device. Craiglist usually but now Swappa is a great way to sell your phone and use those funds to buy a new phone.
    SZQnl and bhatech like this.
    07-02-2017 08:36 PM