I was looking at their Twitter responses to questions this morning and came across this info:

For those of you on Google Fi the phone will not work on Google's Fi according to a Twitter post by Essential...

Since it has every band on the planet (for the most part) I wonder if this is Google blocking it from working or some other reason?
    Attached Thumbnails No Google Fi...-screenshot-2017-05-31-08.38.13.png  
    05-31-2017 11:40 AM
    Since it has every band on the planet (for the most part) I wonder if this is Google blocking it from working or some other reason?
    The bands aren't the issue; it's the ability of the phone to switch among 3 different carriers on the same SIM whether on LTE or WiFi. Google only promises that Nexus & Pixel phones are guaranteed to do that; that's why they've never opened Fi up to everyone as a BYOD option. The Essential phone will work like any other phone Google hasn't certified for Fi--it'll act like it's using a T-Mobile SIM, and it may or may not be able to do WiFi calling. You won't know for sure until you pop in the SIM. You also won't be able to get any help from Fi support if you run into problems on Fi because they're only trained to work with Nexus & Pixel phones.
    05-31-2017 11:48 AM
    Sure I understand that and I don't use Fi I just stumbled across the question and answer BUT... The question is more to the reasoning here.. I would have thought with Andy's 'connections' and 'status' that his phone might have been the 1st allowed as a BYOD on their network..

This could have been a good move for both companies. Google could expand Fi and the Essential could have another option for sales..

I assume this is Google blocking it but since we don't know much about the phone at this point It's just a guess..
    05-31-2017 12:02 PM
    I'd say more Google just dragging their feet, which is SOP where Fi is concerned. Every year Fi users hope to get some statement out of Google about a new something-or-other for Fi, and every year Google just smiles and waves.... And then releases a new messaging app. [snark]
    raqball likes this.
    05-31-2017 12:11 PM
    Sure I understand that and I don't use Fi I just stumbled across the question and answer BUT... The question is more to the reasoning here.. I would have thought with Andy's 'connections' and 'status' that his phone might have been the 1st allowed as a BYOD on their network..

This could have been a good move for both companies. Google could expand Fi and the Essential could have another option for sales..

I assume this is Google blocking it but since we don't know much about the phone at this point It's just a guess..
    Andy doesn't work for Alphabet anymore.
    05-31-2017 01:33 PM
    Andy doesn't work for Alphabet anymore.
    I didn't say he did but yes I do understand that... I said with his 'connections' and 'status'...

A bit surprised he could not pull it off though..
    05-31-2017 03:16 PM
    How can anyone afford Google Fi. You must not use much data....I have looked at it a couple of times and Verizon has always been the cheaper option.
    06-19-2017 07:05 AM
    Google Project Fi is great option for those on Wi-Fi most of the time. My brother has it and pays $30 or less per month.
    06-20-2017 05:40 AM
    Google Project Fi is great option for those on Wi-Fi most of the time. My brother has it and pays $30 or less per month.
    I don't use Fi anymore because of the phone limitation but when I did with my Pixel my bill was about $27 a month...

Fi will work with other phones it just won't switch networks and if Google finds out you are using a non Fi approved phone they will shut service off instantly... This happened to me.. I had a Pixel but put my Fi SIM in a Nexus 5 to use as a secondary line. That lasted about 2 weeks and I was on T-Mobile 24/7... Then I noticed service was no longer working. Called Fi after they shut it down, without any notice to me, and was told their system indicated I was using a non Fi phone..
    06-20-2017 04:26 PM
    Yeah I am not sure why but I use a lot of data, especially using my hot spot. This month I have used 13 gigs on wifi and 15 gigs of data.
    06-21-2017 07:32 AM