Shipping soon?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Rubin said he was ready to ship by the end of the month.. There are only 8 days left in June and we've not really heard much more than what was initially stated and shown..

I assume if it were close to release / shipping that we would be hearing a lot more info than we are and I assume some of the embargo reviews would be getting lifted..

Thoughts?

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
It's still being tested from what it seems. I have a friend in NYC who spotted someone with one of them earlier this week. He asked "Is that the Essential?" and the guy just smiled and put it away.

We likely won't see any shipments until SPRINT gets them in store. SPRINT will want to be first. Can you blame them?

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt they will wait on Sprint to release the unlocked version..

My guess is that maybe we will hear something next week..

cstmstyle

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I kinda feel they should start showing off camera and video captures from the device. I am already expecting major disappointment with the camera. Would be cool if a third party released a high quality camera that connects to the phone. I know 360 cameras are the thing but they are still mehh to me and would prefer something higher quality.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The silence is troubling. And those quickly deleted photos posted by Essential scared the pants off a lot of people. No one wants a crap camera on a flagship phone.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
The silence is troubling. And those quickly deleted photos posted by Essential scared the pants off a lot of people. No one wants a crap camera on a flagship phone.

Agreed. He said they would be ready to ship in 30 days and that time is almost up. They should know by now whether or not they're going to hit that mark and provide an update even if it is a delay.

As I noted on those photos, they were taken in the evening, of a city landscape, through a window, by someone who is not a professional photographer. Not exactly the best combination to try and show off the capabilities of the camera. My guess is they were taken and then shared by accident, which is why they were taken down so quick.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow got a Nintendo Switch before this phone has been released.....I hate the radio silence that follows the unveiling of a new phone and its initial launch.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the last day of June...any Essentials ship yet?

Are you saying you haven't received your email with purchasing details yet? Man, I thought everyone had.

*grabs popcorn and sits back to watch everyone freak out*

Seriously though, I had to go back and watch the interview with Mossberg to see exactly what his wording was. Can be found at roughly 40:45 of the interview video on the Recode YouTube channel:

Mossberg asked "This phone goes on sale when?"
Rubin's response "Soon. You can reserve it now and I wouldn't take reservations if it wasn't going to ship in, you know, 30 days or so."

Sounds like an extremely loose commitment and a really rough estimate so I'm honestly not surprised we haven't heard anything. It's not like he gave an exact date or anything.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I am having 2nd thoughts about the phone.. Not because it has not shipped yet but more along the lines of the abysmal communication, updates and info to their customers..

It makes me wonder if support after the sale will be as poorly managed.. Meh, might be time for me to move along and just hold out for the Pixel 2...

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
By the time the Pixel 2 comes out, I think you'll have a better idea of what type of support you can expect from Essential. It will have been out on the street for at least a few months by that point.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
30 days or so from May 30th was June 29th, now just need to find out how many days "or so" is and we can nail down the release date. Any guesses, I am going to say July 6th.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I have to say I am getting more and more disappointed with this company as the days tick by.. Like I previously said, I don't mind the delayed shipping but have serious concerns over their lack of communication with their customers...

I expected more from a Rubin company.. If they want to stand out in a sea of devices, stellar communication, service and support is a way to do that and they have massively failed in that regard so far..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463