Can Essential succeed where others crashed and burned?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's time for one of my more pessimistic posts.

See, Essential has a solid product, but I feel that they may be falling into the same trap that plagued YotaPhone and Blackphone.

I know Essential's goal isn't about the bottom line, but at the same time, it still has to shift some units to be considered a success.

I honestly really want Essential to succeed not only because Andy Rubin's at the helm but also because many other startups have failed in the same spot and I don't want Essential to be just another one running headfirst into that situation.

But recent events like the delays, lack of communication along with the departure of 2 executives have made my optimism cloudier and cloudier by every second.

What do you guys think?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's time for one of my more pessimistic posts.

See, Essential has a solid product, but I feel that they may be falling into the same trap that plagued YotaPhone and Blackphone.

I know Essential's goal isn't about the bottom line, but at the same time, it still has to shift some units to be considered a success.

I honestly really want Essential to succeed not only because Andy Rubin's at the helm but also because many other startups have failed in the same spot and I don't want Essential to be just another one running headfirst into that situation.

But recent events like the delays, lack of communication along with the departure of 2 executives have made my optimism cloudier and cloudier by every second.

What do you guys think?

It's a tough market and I think the delays are probably due to fixing some last minute software issues because Rubin knows he needs to get it right otherwise there may not be an essential phone 2.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a tough market and I think the delays are probably due to fixing some last minute software issues because Rubin knows he needs to get it right otherwise there may not be an essential phone 2.
I honestly hope so.

It's just that the sheer silence on what's happening along with the departure of execs has made me worried.

cstmstyle

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Could be internal disagreements or those guys left since what they came on to do was finished. I want to buy the phone but the utter lack of communication from them isn't bringing confidence in the product.

buzzard75

May 15, 2017
Visit site
It's only going to be available directly from Sprint in the US and Tellus(?) in Canada, but will supposedly work with all major US carriers.

If it really is some small software issue, that's understandable and there should be no harm in communicating that to people. That's the concern. That there's a bigger problem that would cause a lot of PR blow back.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Isn't it only available on one carrier...can't remember which? That knocks out lots of buyers.

It has 4G bands for every USA carrier and will, from what it looks, work with pretty much every single overseas carrier as well. That is HUGE for me. Only the iPhone 6S 6S+ has had such coverage. I need coverage for Verizon here and for China Telecom over in Kunming when I work over there and only the iPhone 6S+ has been giving me that.

But I HATE how big the iphone is! So much wasted space so the Essential really does appeal to me. Especially with that ceramic and titanium construction.

The thing is, if they are a bit of a flop the Essential will be essentially cheap on the used market in six to nine months. Okay, perfect. ;)

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Has any company had a flawless launch of their first phone or product line?

Honest question because I can't name one myself. I might be missing one, however.

The first iPhone had problems, the first Motorola Droid had problems, Google had software issues with both the Nexus and Pixel lines, BlackBerry had issues with the first BB10 phones, and so on. Essential is either destined to repeat history or they'll get it right and launch with only a delay. If their only launch issue is a delay then things might not be all doom-and-gloom.

Generally I'm pessimistic since it's easier and many times more realistic. More happiness is gained by being skeptical at first and pleasantly surprised later. I'm already prepared to leverage the 30-day return if necessary. But, I'm also trying to stay positive and hope that "soon" really does mean soon... whatever that means. :D

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the execs leaving, communication and marketing jobs might as well have revolving doors in their offices. People come and go in these jobs often. They make it through launch and move onto something newer and more interesting.

If one thing concerns me it's the Spigen trademark infringement lawsuit over the use of "Essential" as a name. I have to think this is the major reason why the phones are currently unbranded rather than it being a gift to consumers. Maybe this has caused internal issues, maybe not.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The recent delays and lack of communication sucks. Honestly their specs and design is forward looking so even if they delay a month or two they still will have lot going. It's just better to have a launch without any major issues, probably they found some major bug in software or issues with hardware who knows. Me guess is probably nothing until August, let's see.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
If Essential did something with water proofing I expect it to get phone of the year, it will be either the Essential, Pixel 2, or Note 8.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
IP57 wouldn't be difficult given their design. A few gaskets or good adhesive could get them there with minimal effort this late in the game. They might have delayed just to hit that mark.

IP68 would be much more difficult last-minute.

From their answers on Twitter it sounds like a late decision to go for it. It's not in the marketing materials.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Essential phone seems to be going the way of the Saygus V2.

I'll actually be surprised if it ever hits the market, TBH.
I think it'll at least hit the market given that it's Andy Rubin and they have other non smart phone products lined up. They wouldn't want their first product announced to not even make the market. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a month or two late but I think they will release it eventually in some form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21