08-31-2017 10:37 AM
37 12
tools
    I've noticed lately that a lot of people want to wait for the pixel or just get the pixel over the essential phone. I guess I really don't understand this because personally I think the essential phone is what pixel should have been or the pixel 2 should be. We can all probably assume that the new pixel still won't offer a memory card option still won't offer waterproofing and it's not going to have any type of bezeless design. Now of course we don't really know too much about the pixel 2 or the pixel XL 2 so a lot of this is obviously still speculation.

What the essential phone will offer that the pixels won't offer is the attachment option, the phone is built with much stronger materials in ceramic and titanium it also seems like it'll be a cheaper option especially that it comes standard with 128 gigs and honestly I think it's a much better looking phone up to this point even if you were to compare to the first gen pixel.

Let's also not forget how difficult it was for a lot of people to get a Pixel, It was sold out for months. Who really wants to go through That again?

I was one of the big supporters of the pixel when it came out and to this day I think it's one of the best phones you can buy, I ended up selling it for the Galaxy S8 plus simply because it does have waterproofing and the option to do a memory card.

What's your take and what are you going to do pixel 2 or the essential phone?
    08-19-2017 03:47 PM
    So I was waiting for the pixel 2 but after seeing enough leaked pics of the pixel I decide against it. Those bezels are just too giant for me. Thank htc for that. now Im not saying I need my phone to be completely bezeless but when i have a 5 inch screen phone and the phone is 6 inches its kinda too much. I really like how the s8 balanced the screen and bezels but unfortunately the sides just kinda ruin it for me. Too gimmicky.

Im still kinda weary of essential being a new company and all. But I took the plunge and preordered the white one on amazon. Im one of the minorities who doesnt care if a phone has waterproofing or no head phone jack. Most phones nowadays have very similar specs internally that you cant go off that anymore you gotta go by design. and the essential really wets my whistle
    modifier and dpackerz like this.
    08-19-2017 04:26 PM
    I'm with you. I don't care about waterproofing. Never needed it. All my info is in the cloud so I don't need a sd card. And I use Bluetooth headphones. So in with you.

I chose the essential phone because it is new and I love new tech. Love the look. Love the materials used. Love that screen. Had the mi mix and loved it.
    08-19-2017 05:25 PM
    Same boat here. I wanted something unique. Essential nailed it with an outstanding design, materials and feature set. And, with Andy's own company and personal reputation on the line, it's less risky than a complete unknown.

No matter what gets released this year, the PH-1 won't feel outdated for a long time. It looks like a 2018-19 device released early.
    areyes163 likes this.
    08-19-2017 06:41 PM
    I currently use a Google Edition Pixel XL 128. I ordered the Black Moon Essential Phone. The bump in processor is a major factor to me. I do not use headphones at all, and the rare case that I do, I have bluetooth set, and prefer the wireless option, I do not like cords from phone to my head, they get in the way. Waterproofing would be nice, I have dropped an S7Edge into a pan with water (briefly) and my iphone 7+ took a small dip as well. I do believe the Essential phone would have survived any of those accidents. I saw a water test with the new non waterproof OnePlus5 and it survived a full dunk in water. I would not turn away a SD card slot, but with 128 built-in, I can make that work. I have received my tempered glass screen protectors already. I would like to find a good slim fit or bumper style case.

The form factor on this phone is what really got my attention. I love squared sides on phones, I think it looks great. The bezzeless front looks great. I am anxiously awaiting the shipping confirmation. I will spend a few days with it and see how it compares to the Pixel XL.
    bchain996, areyes163 and modifier like this.
    08-19-2017 08:59 PM
    Glad to see other's are with me. I applied Essential and them trying something different and new. My perfect phone is a bezeless display, the best materials, good camera, 128gb storage, fast charging and a large screen, But small Body. Lastly, Because I have a 2yr old, waterproofing.

Essential did everything I wanted, I can move on without waterproofing.
    modifier and bchain996 like this.
    08-20-2017 01:56 AM
    Glad to see other's are with me. I applied Essential and them trying something different and new. My perfect phone is a bezeless display, the best materials, good camera, 128gb storage, fast charging and a large screen, But small Body. Lastly, Because I have a 2yr old, waterproofing.

Agree agree agree....
    08-20-2017 07:16 AM

Agree with all of this. Only thing I'm waiting on is a real sense of battery life. 3040 mAh battery is pretty small considering the display it has to power.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    08-20-2017 08:13 AM
    Agree with all of this. Only thing I'm waiting on is a real sense of battery life. 3040 mAh battery is pretty small considering the display it has to power.
    In the Verge's review they said they were getting about 7 hours SOT by the second day.
    08-20-2017 08:36 AM
    I'd be all over the Essential if it weren't for the 1st Gen issue. Even the experienced phone manufacturers release buggy phones and phones with design flaws on a regular basis. I hope Rubin gets it dead on the money right on the first go but the stats aren't on his side.
    jimbo1mcm likes this.
    08-20-2017 08:50 AM
    At least this isn't Andy's first hardware project. From an FMEA standpoint the PH-1 looks to have very few physical points of potential failure compared to other flagships. Software and updates are an unknown, but with Andy's personal reputation on the line (plus Playground and countless other investors), it would be corporate suicide not to follow through with promises.

Besides, every phone launched to date has had bugs and shortcomings regardless of generation. It's impossible to say that issues only fall on first-gen devices.
    08-20-2017 09:42 AM
    Love the hardware design. Biggest unknown for me is camera. My pixel camera is pretty great. Holding off until more reviews come in.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    08-20-2017 10:03 AM
    My iPhone 6S+ has a great camera. Always been happy with it. So if the Essential can match it, I will be fine.

The lack of a headphone jack stinks, but i started thinking about how often I actually use headphones.... and it's like once a month. If that! I have a 16gb iPhone 4 that I use as my iPod. It's small, one handed operation and just feels perfect. So I decided to stop complaining about the lack of a headphone jack the Essential.

Water proofing? I have never thought about getting my phone wet. Ever.

My only worries about how slick and slippery that glossy back will be and how will i handle switching from iOS to Android. I tried the S8 and hated the curved screen. Using Android was a real test of my patience and ultimately I gave up on it after being unable to text without constantly ending up with gibberish. The curved edges really made it hard to type right.

A flat screen is what I prefer. I am genuinely excited and looking forward to trying this phone out.
    08-20-2017 10:48 AM
    In the Verge's review they said they were getting about 7 hours SOT by the second day.
    Very true, but other reviews said they were getting much less.
    08-20-2017 11:48 AM
    I'm getting both
    modifier, tsquare2112 and PhiPsi32 like this.
    08-20-2017 11:55 AM
    If the Essential worked natively on Project Fi I would be seriously considering it. Instead I'll hold out for the Pixel XL 2, which will at least have seriously reduced bezels and probably a better camera. I've been using nothing but Nexus/Pixel phones since the Galaxy Nexus, but the Essential looks fantastic and with it using stock Android I would totally be checking this out for a purchase if it wasn't for carrier lock in.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    08-20-2017 02:00 PM
    Yea imagine without all the bloatware what this could do in battery life, its probably like having a 4500mah battery in a samsung phone.
    modifier likes this.
    08-20-2017 02:10 PM
    Yea imagine without all the bloatware what this could do in battery life, its probably like having a 4500mah battery in a samsung phone.
    But think about the big, bright screen it has to power.
    08-20-2017 02:17 PM
    Most First impressions I've read are very positive and they also praise the battery as well. There is no real reviews out yet, So what you are reading isn't a full review.
    08-20-2017 06:46 PM
    Seen two reviews/opinions and they are split on the camera positioning.
    My opinion is its a waste, non-standard aspect ratio which when properly supported in software is being physically compromised in a way that no software is going to fix.
    That can only be done by NOT taking full advantage of the hardware.

If want something on the front, then there is only so much we can put behind the screen.
    Bezels serve a purpose.
    Why are so many people scared of them.
    08-20-2017 07:33 PM
    I'd be all over the Essential if it weren't for the 1st Gen issue. Even the experienced phone manufacturers release buggy phones and phones with design flaws on a regular basis. I hope Rubin gets it dead on the money right on the first go but the stats aren't on his side.
    HTC Droid Incredible. Their first Android smartphone and probably one of the best ever!

Was planning on the Pixel XL 2, but they increased the screen size for no reason so I think that's gonna be a no go for me. Pixel XL maybe, but the tech is a year old. The Essential is new to me but so far looks impressive. Love the screen. Biggest concern for me is the speed of updates. That was one of the biggest draws of a Pixel was the direct updates from Google. If Essential can match that speed, I might be sold, if it is gonna be like carrier phones where I'm still running 7.0 with a June security patch, I'm going to be very disappointed.
    08-20-2017 08:22 PM
    I was getting 6hrs SOT on my 6P . . . when it was new . . . now not so much. I am in the bigger battery camp but willing to be proven wrong.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    08-20-2017 11:54 PM
    Well that's going to depend on the Pixel 2's price tag. See I don't want to have to get a second mortgage to get the Essential phone. It looks absolutely amazing but holy Jebus that price!

So two other aspects, other than having to sell your first born to get it. The first would be the timely updates. Stock Android does not equate timely updates (I'm looking at you Lenovo/Motorola). Being that it's Andy Rubin, I'm pretty sure those updates will come quickly but it still remains to be seen.

The last aspect is the camera. From what we can gather from reviews, it's not all that great. A software update made it better but again not that great.

Oh and some people would like to take advantage of unlimited Google Photos full resolution backups which the Essential doesn't provice.

Lastly if reviewers don't stop with the 'Essential' puns I'm boycotting the phone!
    08-21-2017 08:10 AM
    The Essential is 699, even if you buy last year's Pixel XL with 128GB it will cost you 750 on Google Play Store. With the extra 150, buy the two year warranty and 360 camera from essential.
    jamezr, bchain996 and SZQnl like this.
    08-21-2017 08:17 AM
    I could make an argument for either, but Pixel 2 XL over Essential PH-1 comes down to this for me personally:

Software, Updates & Security. Google has a proven track record of being the best on these three fronts. Essential claims to want to emulate, but we don't know if it'll happen.

Camera. Google is still, 10 months later, the second best camera in a phone on the market. And they're "presumably" improving this year.

Build materials. I don't really care for the shiny devices too much. Yes, Essential is better than LG & Samsung because they're using ceramic and titanium rather than glass. But a metal phone is still better for what I want.

Photos. Unlimited full size forever is pretty huge.

As of today, the original Pixel XL is still the best all around device on the market IMO, but the Essential, assuming that the build quality and software support are actually there, is a possible top 5 contender.
    dlalonde, DMP89145, SZQnl and 1 others like this.
    08-21-2017 10:28 AM
37 12