Success returning the phone?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I got two enveloped from essential one for the camera and one for the phone. Of Course you can't tell which goes in which. I used the half sheet of paper they used for instructions and wrote my name, email, order number , and in large print full refund. Don't want any confusion on whether it's a return or replacement.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So apparently Chuck from Essential is gone and so with that I'm gone. He apparently left sometime between today and yesterday because he kept in contact with me Monday and then nothing. He was management but I don't know how far up because they called me about my return and with the lack of empathy from the caller it was a grim reminder that I don't want to deal with company's CS. Chuck was the only lifeline left to work out a solution.

So much for that. Note 8 it is. Shame because I liked the phone.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I emailed CS on 19 Sept requesting a return due to my speaker grille being one of the defective devices. They shipped a return package overnight on 20 Sept and I should have it today according to the tracking number.

So far they're making it pretty easy. We'll see how long it takes to credit back my card.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I've resulted in dealing with affirm. They are now the middle man. They also are seeing how little they respond. Since I financed through them. Even they can't reach them lol.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I sent my phone to them last Thursday via the return package, it delivered to them last Friday. Few hours back got an email that they received my device and my refund is approved and it'll take 7-10 days for refund to appear on my credit card.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
It's bizarre how polarized this company is with communication. How they handle my return will determine whether or not I buy another.

I bought outright with my CC. Worse case I'll lean on them to complete the return. Right now I'm not at all concerned. I have far more important things to focus on first. :D

Last edited:

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm just glad to be coming to an end. I will never do business with the company ever again. There won't be a fool me twice scenario. I'll keep my S7 Edge and wait for the Note 9. I'm done with phones this year because of Essential sadly.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
What was the solution you were trying to work out?

I'll never know because he left. Last we talked he was working with Financing so I guess we was going to give some kind of incentive to keep me as a customer. He went over all the emails conversation I had with Essential was very apologetic about the ordeal and was upset that it didn't get sent to him. He reached out to me personally in a phone call and gave me his direct email and work number. So I know he meant well. Then poof he was gone.

So with him gone, I was gone and didn't want to deal with the company anymore.

Last edited:

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I'll never know because we left. Last we talked he was working with Financing so I guess we was going to give some kind of incentive to keep me as a customer. He went over all the emails conversation I had with Essential was very apologetic about the ordeal and was upset that it didn't get sent to him. He reached out to me personally in a phone call and gave me his direct email and work number. So I know he meant well. Then poof he was gone.

So with him gone, I was gone and didn't want to deal with the company anymore.
Interesting. I don't fault you for taking them up on a return. On one hand I'd say it would have been great to get some money back and keep the phone. On the other hand I could see it get out-of-hand once the Internet learned of people getting incentives. I'm sure every one of us would love a PH-1 at $400-500 instead of $700. It would certainly make the whole adventure with a new company seem less risky. I wonder if Chuck left on his own or was let go for trying to give people discounts. lol

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. I don't fault you for taking them up on a return. On one hand I'd say it would have been great to get some money back and keep the phone. On the other hand I could see it get out-of-hand once the Internet learned of people getting incentives. I'm sure every one of us would love a PH-1 at $400-500 instead of $700. It would certainly make the whole adventure with a new company seem less risky. I wonder if Chuck left on his own or was let go for trying to give people discounts. lol

I never spoke on it until now. I had his direct email and number and didn't plaster it like some people negligently would. But since now it's no longer an option or deal, I don't care. As for him, it's probably best for his future. The phone is on it's way. I left a very detailed letter with Essential. In the end, everything happened for a reason and I don't miss the phone.

Chuck actually gave me the extra week and return with no question asked. He even offered to be my direct contact and would handle my account. Even if he couldn't have done anything, him being genuine would have made me keep the phone as is. He really went out his way to help ease my frustration and it was greatly appreciated. He was the ONLY reason I would have kept this phone knowing I had someone at the company that would bat for their customers.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Give them at least a day on replies. Most of mine have taken 12-24 hours for a reply.

My first support email to them was #3xxx back in June. My request to return was #18xxx a few days ago. Those emails were about 12 weeks apart. That puts them at around 150 to 200 new support requests per day, plus multiple emails for each request if a reply or multiple replies are made by each end of the chain. Divide that into however many employees they have, subtract weekends and holidays, and you'll understand why it takes them time to reply.

That's not an excuse, mind you... just some interesting math.

Also note that support requests aren't necessarily returns but would include order status requests, new ideas, bug submissions, review requests, etc. "Under water" is an understatement.

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I just received my warranty replacement from Assurion and the speaker grille is jacked up. They also told me to send in my charger/dongle/box with the phone and that I would receive replacements with the new phone but I did not.. Now I have to go through essential to have them try and ship me an actual retail replacement and ship this one with the jacked up speaker grille back to Assurion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca