10-15-2017 09:26 PM
64 123
tools
    On day 2 with this phone and all I can say so far is wow. I agree the touch sensitivity is a bit low, but the more you use it the more you just naturally touch a little firmer.

My software experience has been flawless. This phone just gets things done faster and better. It has sprints LTE+ capabilities, and the updates come from essential not sprint. I had 2 out of the box and I am currently sitting on the September security update.
    Sometimes a higher sensitivity isn't great. I have made many more unintentional clicks with my Note 5 than my Pixel.
    modifier likes this.
    09-15-2017 09:21 PM
    Check the tips and tricks sticky at the top of this board. It describes how to increase touch sensitivity.
    I did do that like 10 minutes, I just finished a round of piano tiles. I see no difference in sensitivity at all. The game played flawlessly and I never had one unregistered tap. Almost mastered a song for the first time with this phone.
    09-15-2017 09:26 PM
    Sometimes a higher sensitivity isn't great. I have made many more unintentional clicks with my Note 5 than my Pixel.
    Great point. Many have complained about this phone not being sensitive enough but they're probably just used to their devices rather than this one being flawed in some way. To me it seems normal. It's slightly better for me on the 'high' setting but I think my typing is less accurate.

I did do that like 10 minutes, I just finished a round of piano tiles. I see no difference in sensitivity at all. The game played flawlessly and I never had one unregistered tap. Almost mastered a song for the first time with this phone.
    Typing on the keyboard I can tell a slight difference. I'm undecided which I prefer. Stock never bothered me though. At a minimum I find this phone accurate overall, just as you describe.
    09-15-2017 09:30 PM
    I think palm rejection would help with the sensitive issue. I notice my palm skin hitting the phone as I hold it in one hand. Maybe I should loose weight but I think with bezels this small palm rejection would help.
    09-16-2017 07:18 AM
    I picked up the Essential phone today. I absolutely love it!
    modifier likes this.
    10-07-2017 03:34 AM
    Loving my bloatware free, fast OS, awesome looking phone that I got for 50%off through Sprint. (P. S. camera works fine)
    modifier likes this.
    10-07-2017 09:18 AM
    After agonizing over what phone to upgrade to I finally pulled the trigger on the Essential, I was really hoping the Pixel 2s would be available from Sprint, but that wasn't to be. I love the look and feel of the PH1, and after reading everything I could find about the camera fixes I decided to give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I return it and get the V30 I suppose.
    modifier likes this.
    10-08-2017 10:09 AM
    Loving my bloatware free, fast OS, awesome looking phone that I got for 50%off through Sprint. (P. S. camera works fine)
    This is exactly what I keep trying to tell people. I'm getting ready to enter week 4 with this device and it's amazing. Camera works just fine for myself as well.
    10-08-2017 07:59 PM
    After agonizing over what phone to upgrade to I finally pulled the trigger on the Essential, I was really hoping the Pixel 2s would be available from Sprint, but that wasn't to be. I love the look and feel of the PH1, and after reading everything I could find about the camera fixes I decided to give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I return it and get the V30 I suppose.
    You can't go wrong man, this phone also uses the LTE+ network for sprint. Which I consistently get 50-80mbps download in my area. Where as the regular LTE network frankly sucks. Better call quality as well with this device. I have no issues with the camera at all. It's the same sensor that the LG G6 uses with the added monochrome. I have achieved over 8 hours of sot with this device and I'm a moderate to heavy user. I would say there are a few annoyances, but lately I haven't had them at all. They are constantly updating this via essential services and resources apps on the play stay. They are consistent and have released the money security updates quickly. This phone just keeps getting better and better and better.

Firmware update work around for sprint. Insert another carriers sim card follow prompts to update firmware then put sprint sim card back in. Sprint still needs to approve the updates from essential before they push them out.
    10-08-2017 08:07 PM
    You can't go wrong man, this phone also uses the LTE+ network for sprint. Which I consistently get 50-80mbps download in my area. Where as the regular LTE network frankly sucks. Better call quality as well with this device. I have no issues with the camera at all. It's the same sensor that the LG G6 uses with the added monochrome. I have achieved over 8 hours of sot with this device and I'm a moderate to heavy user. I would say there are a few annoyances, but lately I haven't had them at all. They are constantly updating this via essential services and resources apps on the play stay. They are consistent and have released the money security updates quickly. This phone just keeps getting better and better and better.

Firmware update work around for sprint. Insert another carriers sim card follow prompts to update firmware then put sprint sim card back in. Sprint still needs to approve the updates from essential before they push them out.
    I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a different SIM.
    10-10-2017 08:20 AM
    Well, my initial impression is pretty mixed. I need time to mess around with it more, but off the bat I love the feeling of the phone, so solid and high quality. Absolutely love the stock Android experience.
    The camera was my main worry, and I must say the results of my first few test shots were not impressive. Again, I still need time to toy with it but there's my first reaction.

I'm 50/50 on keeping it based on my first impression.
    10-10-2017 11:42 PM
    Well, my initial impression is pretty mixed. I need time to mess around with it more, but off the bat I love the feeling of the phone, so solid and high quality. Absolutely love the stock Android experience.
    The camera was my main worry, and I must say the results of my first few test shots were not impressive. Again, I still need time to toy with it but there's my first reaction.

I'm 50/50 on keeping it based on my first impression.
    The update sprint has yet to push out contains camera fixes and other major bug fixes as well. I would say hang in there until sprint pushes the update and see how everything feels after that.

Again I love this phone, I have had nothing but good things. A few minor annoyances, but those come with ever device and software made. Even those minor things have gone away.
    10-11-2017 11:57 AM
    Essential, as promised, has been busy shipping updates and Android Oreo is just a few weeks away which is also going to bring a lot of optimizations and camera modes (portrait mode etc.,). So, I will say it’s exciting times to be part of Essential!
    10-11-2017 12:28 PM
    Essential, as promised, has been busy shipping updates and Android Oreo is just a few weeks away which is also going to bring a lot of optimizations and camera modes (portrait mode etc.,). So, I will say it’s exciting times to be part of Essential!
    Exactly, while it was a ruff start. Im glad that I stuck with it. Every update, this phone gets better and better.
    10-11-2017 02:33 PM
    Yeah, I'm already starting to miss my essential. Hope I get my refund soon so I can buy again. And a nice sale would be good too.
    10-11-2017 03:05 PM
    Yeah, I'm already starting to miss my essential. Hope I get my refund soon so I can buy again. And a nice sale would be good too.
    What happened to yours?
    10-11-2017 03:25 PM
    What happened to yours?
    It had a defective earpiece, plus I was having Bluetooth problems. I was originally going to try a warranty swap, but when they offered a full refund I figured that would be best and I would simply repurchase it new at Best Buy or something after they've gotten the manufacturing kinks worked out. Plus I heard some of the problems people were having with warranty swaps and didn't want to get into something like that.
    10-11-2017 04:57 PM
    ...and I would simply repurchase it new at Best Buy or something after they've gotten the manufacturing kinks worked out.
    Essential support told me in email that they've corrected the speaker grille mesh issue in manufacturing. It sounds like they caught it before Best Buy received theirs.

Rumor has it that another PH-1 is headed my way. Now I'm torn between keeping or canceling my pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL.
    10-11-2017 05:10 PM
    Essential support told me in email that they've corrected the speaker grille mesh issue in manufacturing. It sounds like they caught it before Best Buy received theirs.

Rumor has it that another PH-1 is headed my way. Now I'm torn between keeping or canceling my pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL.
    Yeah, that's a tough choice. Personally, I prefer smaller phones, so the size of the Pixel 2 XL is my problem and why I would prefer the essential phone (especially since the smaller Pixel is using an old design).

Maybe you should try the Pixel and see if you like better since you've already had the essential phone. If not, then return it.
    10-11-2017 06:31 PM
    Yeah, that's a tough choice. Personally, I prefer smaller phones, so the size of the Pixel 2 XL is my problem and why I would prefer the essential phone (especially since the smaller Pixel is using an old design).

Maybe you should try the Pixel and see if you like better since you've already had the essential phone. If not, then return it.
    Too late. I just canceled the 2 XL. Since my phone is a work device and managed under MDM for security, any of Google's AI/listening features would get killed anyway. That leaves me with the display, camera and software updates. At the size/price difference I decided to give the PH-1 another go.

The PH-1's camera was good enough for my use, the display was awesome for an LCD and software updates were unexpectedly timely. I also liked the size of the phone and ability to remove the header and bottom nav with the whitelist app.

So, it looks like I'll be back soon. No clue when my device will ship but possibly this week.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    10-11-2017 06:41 PM
    I'm back and picked up the essential from my local best buy today. V30 is going back to TMobile, can't tolerate the LG software even with Nova launcher. So settling with essential and Pixel 2 XL as my Android phones until at least early next year. Came back to essential because of clean software and that's why I can't get used to V30, Note 8. Will keep it as backup once my Pixel 2 XL arrives, would love to see how they improve the software over the next few months.
    10-11-2017 10:59 PM
    I'm back and picked up the essential from my local best buy today. V30 is going back to TMobile, can't tolerate the LG software even with Nova launcher. So settling with essential and Pixel 2 XL as my Android phones until at least early next year. Came back to essential because of clean software and that's why I can't get used to V30, Note 8. Will keep it as backup once my Pixel 2 XL arrives, would love to see how they improve the software over the next few months.
    I picked up one as well after having my original one to essential due to numerous issues that seem to have been sorted out with software updates. It just feels so great in the hand. My only complaint of it remains the camera isn't what I would want in a daily driver but I have my 8 plus and soon iphone X on me at all times when I need to photograph anything.
    bhatech and fernandez21 like this.
    10-12-2017 10:51 AM
    I absolutely agree with the post. I activated mine on Monday and I am just so happy with how the Essential operates.
    I'm happy to report that I haven't had the bugs and glitches most people have reported... couple small exceptions I'll note in a minute.

The speed and responsiveness out of the box has been unlike any android device I've ever used. I too got into the S8+ and really liked it. I have 2 phones.. my personal 'S8+' and my work 'Essential'... but I'm tempted to swap them around as I use the personal one so much more and find myself wanting to use the Essential.
    It's weird... as I can't say exactly what it is I find so nice about it other than how smooth it is and how nice the device feels in my hand. Sensitivity has been perfect. Swyping has been a dream and the way the fingers glide over the screen is like silk. Haptic Feedback for typing is dead on. Just the right amount of responsiveness.
    All my apps are lightning fast... Spotify opens way quicker on my Essential than my S8+. Doing a side by side where I tapped the spotify link on the Essential a split second after tapping my S8 it still opened up first on the Essential. Tried the same thing with Audible, Uber, Amazon - check check check and Chrome - BIG win for the Essential opening Chrome.
    That said, it could be the fact that I've been using the S8 for quite some time. If I factory reset it the results could potentially be a bit different.

Have to admit though, I'm missing the always on display or tap to wake-up function.

The only software issues I've had are very occasional freezes where a web page won't scroll or move and an issue when clicking on an Android Central link from an email not opening up the Android Central App. Again, very occasional - has happened a couple of times and I can't recreate the issue on demand.

The only gripe I'd have is using a headset mic with the included USB C to headphone adapter. People on the other end say it sounds awful. Anyone else experience that? Tried with both a Samsung S8+ AKG OEM headset and iPhone earpods.

I posted my review too ...https://forums.androidcentral.com/es...ml#post6016460
    When you plug in the adapter, where you ever prompted to do a firmware update for it. I use my s8+ akg headphones with the dongle all the time for talking on the phone. Everything works just fine for me, even using my Xbox one head set sounds perfect.

The difference is night and day between the s8+ and essential. All of my apps run so much better on the essential phone. I miss the aod for having it as a clock for at night time on my wireless charging pad.
    fernandez21 likes this.
    10-12-2017 04:20 PM
    The difference is night and day between the s8+ and essential. All of my apps run so much better on the essential phone. I miss the aod for having it as a clock for at night time on my wireless charging pad.
    Yup, that's what I really liked about stock Android, it seems all apps are optimized for that and run so much better when compared to skinned counterparts.
    10-12-2017 05:59 PM
    I'm on build NMI64C which was the update I received when I activated. Hmm...
    The dongle that comes with the phone has a built in hardware. When you plug in the dongle you should get a notification in the pull down to update the firmware for the dongle. If you haven't done that, then that might be why you are having sound quality trouble on calls.
    10-12-2017 06:38 PM
64 123