This thing has really grown on me...

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
What happened to yours?
It had a defective earpiece, plus I was having Bluetooth problems. I was originally going to try a warranty swap, but when they offered a full refund I figured that would be best and I would simply repurchase it new at Best Buy or something after they've gotten the manufacturing kinks worked out. Plus I heard some of the problems people were having with warranty swaps and didn't want to get into something like that.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
...and I would simply repurchase it new at Best Buy or something after they've gotten the manufacturing kinks worked out.
Essential support told me in email that they've corrected the speaker grille mesh issue in manufacturing. It sounds like they caught it before Best Buy received theirs.

Rumor has it that another PH-1 is headed my way. Now I'm torn between keeping or canceling my pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL. :confused:

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Essential support told me in email that they've corrected the speaker grille mesh issue in manufacturing. It sounds like they caught it before Best Buy received theirs.

Rumor has it that another PH-1 is headed my way. Now I'm torn between keeping or canceling my pre-order for the Pixel 2 XL. :confused:
Yeah, that's a tough choice. Personally, I prefer smaller phones, so the size of the Pixel 2 XL is my problem and why I would prefer the essential phone (especially since the smaller Pixel is using an old design).

Maybe you should try the Pixel and see if you like better since you've already had the essential phone. If not, then return it.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, that's a tough choice. Personally, I prefer smaller phones, so the size of the Pixel 2 XL is my problem and why I would prefer the essential phone (especially since the smaller Pixel is using an old design).

Maybe you should try the Pixel and see if you like better since you've already had the essential phone. If not, then return it.
Too late. I just canceled the 2 XL. :D Since my phone is a work device and managed under MDM for security, any of Google's AI/listening features would get killed anyway. That leaves me with the display, camera and software updates. At the size/price difference I decided to give the PH-1 another go.

The PH-1's camera was good enough for my use, the display was awesome for an LCD and software updates were unexpectedly timely. I also liked the size of the phone and ability to remove the header and bottom nav with the whitelist app.

So, it looks like I'll be back soon. No clue when my device will ship but possibly this week.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm back and picked up the essential from my local best buy today. V30 is going back to TMobile, can't tolerate the LG software even with Nova launcher. So settling with essential and Pixel 2 XL as my Android phones until at least early next year. Came back to essential because of clean software and that's why I can't get used to V30, Note 8. Will keep it as backup once my Pixel 2 XL arrives, would love to see how they improve the software over the next few months.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm back and picked up the essential from my local best buy today. V30 is going back to TMobile, can't tolerate the LG software even with Nova launcher. So settling with essential and Pixel 2 XL as my Android phones until at least early next year. Came back to essential because of clean software and that's why I can't get used to V30, Note 8. Will keep it as backup once my Pixel 2 XL arrives, would love to see how they improve the software over the next few months.

I picked up one as well after having my original one to essential due to numerous issues that seem to have been sorted out with software updates. It just feels so great in the hand. My only complaint of it remains the camera isn't what I would want in a daily driver but I have my 8 plus and soon iphone X on me at all times when I need to photograph anything.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I absolutely agree with the post. I activated mine on Monday and I am just so happy with how the Essential operates.
I'm happy to report that I haven't had the bugs and glitches most people have reported... couple small exceptions I'll note in a minute.

The speed and responsiveness out of the box has been unlike any android device I've ever used. I too got into the S8+ and really liked it. I have 2 phones.. my personal 'S8+' and my work 'Essential'... but I'm tempted to swap them around as I use the personal one so much more and find myself wanting to use the Essential.
It's weird... as I can't say exactly what it is I find so nice about it other than how smooth it is and how nice the device feels in my hand. Sensitivity has been perfect. Swyping has been a dream and the way the fingers glide over the screen is like silk. Haptic Feedback for typing is dead on. Just the right amount of responsiveness.
All my apps are lightning fast... Spotify opens way quicker on my Essential than my S8+. Doing a side by side where I tapped the spotify link on the Essential a split second after tapping my S8 it still opened up first on the Essential. Tried the same thing with Audible, Uber, Amazon - check check check and Chrome - BIG win for the Essential opening Chrome.
That said, it could be the fact that I've been using the S8 for quite some time. If I factory reset it the results could potentially be a bit different.

Have to admit though, I'm missing the always on display or tap to wake-up function.

The only software issues I've had are very occasional freezes where a web page won't scroll or move and an issue when clicking on an Android Central link from an email not opening up the Android Central App. Again, very occasional - has happened a couple of times and I can't recreate the issue on demand.

The only gripe I'd have is using a headset mic with the included USB C to headphone adapter. People on the other end say it sounds awful. Anyone else experience that? Tried with both a Samsung S8+ AKG OEM headset and iPhone earpods.

I posted my review too ...https://forums.androidcentral.com/essential-phone/839801-essential-phone-makes-me-happy.html#post6016460

When you plug in the adapter, where you ever prompted to do a firmware update for it. I use my s8+ akg headphones with the dongle all the time for talking on the phone. Everything works just fine for me, even using my Xbox one head set sounds perfect.

The difference is night and day between the s8+ and essential. All of my apps run so much better on the essential phone. I miss the aod for having it as a clock for at night time on my wireless charging pad.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The difference is night and day between the s8+ and essential. All of my apps run so much better on the essential phone. I miss the aod for having it as a clock for at night time on my wireless charging pad.

Yup, that's what I really liked about stock Android, it seems all apps are optimized for that and run so much better when compared to skinned counterparts.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm on build NMI64C which was the update I received when I activated. Hmm...

The dongle that comes with the phone has a built in hardware. When you plug in the dongle you should get a notification in the pull down to update the firmware for the dongle. If you haven't done that, then that might be why you are having sound quality trouble on calls.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
That didn't happen for me. The notification I got (Images attached) say USB Supplying power to attached device - tap for more options.
When I tap it says 'Use USB to Supply Power Supply power to the other connected device'... with this option selected. I tried to deselect to no success and hit cancel too. The window disappears, but the first notification is still in the notification bar. If I click on it, same thing - rinse and repeat.
The headphone adapter has a chipset in it and needs a small amount of power to operate. You'll see that notification every time you have it plugged into your phone. Nothing to worry about. It doesn't draw that much.

Yours might have been new enough to have the latest firmware, hence why you didn't get an update notification.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Probably so, but I still have the bad mic issues with a wired headset. My only gripe now..
You might try emailing Essential support to ask if there's a way to check the firmware level and force an update if needed. I used mine with a wired headset for voice calls and it sounded fine on both ends.

The DragonTJH

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
After agonizing over what phone to upgrade to I finally pulled the trigger on the Essential, I was really hoping the Pixel 2s would be available from Sprint, but that wasn't to be. I love the look and feel of the PH1, and after reading everything I could find about the camera fixes I decided to give it a shot. Worse case scenario, I return it and get the V30 I suppose.

Man am I glad I opted for the PH-1, I went to a Sprint store to get handsy with the V30+ tonight and I must say I was underwhelmed. Build quality and stock Android FTW.
I am less and less concerned with the camera as I play with it, it does well in normal conditions and I feel like it's ever improving on the low-light issues.
The Essential is a keeper for me!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Look what I got in my hand
Really digging the white color, looks super and also hides fingerprints.

c0abd70c6a7d8cfddab3992d59118c1c.heic

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looks really good. I'm not big on white phones but will give that some serious thought.
Personally, I have got bored with black slabs since had too many black phones over the past year. This year all my phones will be non black if available, had to settle with black on Pixel 2 XL because the color was so backordered

I like to switch colors every now and then based on availability.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Personally, I have got bored with black slabs since had too many black phones over the past year. This year all my phones will be non black if available, had to settle with black on Pixel 2 XL because the color was so backordered

I like to switch colors every now and then based on availability.

I'm thinking of paying off my current essential (got the pre-order deal through sprint) I would pay full price. Selling this black when the ocean depths comes out. That one is beautiful.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670