essential price drop? start your bidding

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
so after all the reviews, unboxings, etc the general theme is that this phone is far far away from justifying a 700$ price tag. horrid camera app, slowness of the OS under multi app regular usage etc.
when do you guys feel the price will be dropped?
I feel its gonna be sooner than later but i might be wrong :)

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I feel due to the nature of the small business starting out with a premium built handset and low sales, they can't afford a price drop.

I honestly wonder if they will still be a company in 2 years, they built a solid phone but it's lacking some key features and obviously has software issues. They had to delay it and I'm still left with the impression it wasn't ready to ship.

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
my gut feeling says they will not be able to get this phone running decently before the end of the year.
with the s8,v30 and pixel 2 around, essential essentially has a very low probability of selling its inventory with its current price tag.
if they stick with 699, the stock will just start pilling.
they could always cut a 100$ and say its a holiday season special so that other buyers will not be too upset

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
essential essentially has a very low probability of selling its inventory with its current price tag.
How many devices have they produced, how many have they sold so far and how many are currently on backorder? It sounds like you have some insider information. Spill the beans. We'd love to know.

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
How many devices have they produced, how many have they sold so far and how many are currently on backorder? It sounds like you have some insider information. Spill the beans. We'd love to know.

really I dont have any info. I am just watching rather closely at the fiasco called essential and I cant believe its actually going down the way it does...

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
This phone price is not going to drop any time soon...

I believe it will in holiday season after its set in stone that this phone pales in comparison to the competition. I mean, did you see the brightness and color differences between the v30's oled and the essential's lcd? it simply blew my mind ( see below).
personally speaking, the only thing going for the essential phone right now seem to be the aesthetics & small form factor (both which are a matter of taste anyway)
NOTE that I really like the essential phone but I cant see any justification for a 699$ price tag. seems like a 550-600$ phone to me tops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYzUpQo7Y7U

Last edited:

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I dunno it's hard to say. I think I heard somewhere they their Target with the phone was a million units. I don't know how much they have sold at this point but let's not forget that they are in it for the long haul. They have a lot of funding and plan on releasing a whole suite of products. I dunno of we will see a price drop. All of the phones coming out are more than 700 (note 8, iPhone x) so they might not drop the price

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I'll vote the price remains until the release of their next device. They haven't even released the other three colors or launched internationally. Buyers are waiting worldwide for both the phone and different colors.

Regarding the V30 versus Essential, if the V30 is a better fit for someone then buy it. The whole this-vs-that comparisons are silly. Buy what fits your needs and stop caring about other devices. No one device fits everyone's needs. LG's obnoxiously colorful UI skin looks like a kindergartener designed it. No thanks.

Last edited:

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
I'll vote the price remains until the release of their next device. They haven't even released the other three colors or launched internationally. Buyers are waiting worldwide for both the phone and different colors.

Regarding the V30 versus Essential, if the V30 is a better fit for someone then buy it. The whole this-vs-that comparisons are silly. Buy what fits your needs and stop caring about other devices. No one device fits everyone's needs. LG's obnoxiously colorful UI skin looks like a kindergartener designed it. No thanks.

1. I like all devices...
2. pixel launcher apk

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
1. I like all devices...
2. pixel launcher apk
I wasn't singling you out. The video makes it sound like someone has to choose the V30 over the PH-1 or they're making the wrong choice. It's just not that black-and-white. I'd gladly buy a V30 if it were a bit smaller, had a Wolfson or Burr-Brown DAC instead, and came with stock Android.

Regarding launchers, I'm using the BlackBerry Launcher. It works brilliantly. No lag and absolutely smooth. The reviews might be mostly negative but I somehow got a lightning bolt of a device. That's even compared to the G6, S8 and KEYone I had.

Last edited:

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Regarding launchers, I'm using the BlackBerry Launcher. It works brilliantly. No lag and absolutely smooth. The reviews might be mostly negative but I somehow got a lightening bolt of a device. That's even compared to the G6, S8 and KEYone I had.
good to hear something positive :)

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Nova and it works fine, you just have the notification area blacked out as opposed to it going the whole way to the edge. Mine has been flawless, no freezes, restarts or any problems. Build quality is redefining the standard and software will only get better.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
my gut feeling says they will not be able to get this phone running decently before the end of the year.
with the s8,v30 and pixel 2 around, essential essentially has a very low probability of selling its inventory with its current price tag.
they could always cut a 100$ and say its a holiday season special so that other buyers will not be too upset
Depends on their inventory, so far they haven't even been able to fill preorders.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I cannot remember being more disappointed with a device or purchase. For me this has been nothing but a downer. Even the amazing ceramic construction is bothering me as it's as slippery as a stick of butter and in desperate need of a leather case or bumper.

anon(4743061)

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
If they sell them at $499 and in a less fingerprint catching color I would re-buy. I can tolerate the mediocre camera at that price. Will be interesting to see what they price all the returned phones.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that a lot of people, on here at least, like the phone. I believe I have read more positive reviews on these forums than complaints. I say that to say, what's worth $700 is different for everyone. I really don't see the price dropping soon. Even from a supply and demand standpoint, Essential, the company, is winning. Demand is ahead of supply. And people always say a phone isn't worth that price tag while others say it is.

My opinion is that the iPhone isn't worth $1k for the 8, but most will disagree. I don't believe the Note 8 is worth $900+, and a lot disagree.

As for the V30, I do admit it looks like a nice phone. However, I had nothing but problems with my G3, so it makes me wary of them. Took 3 phones before I finally got one that worked properly.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Handset prices have always been a little on the crazy side. The financing options keep people buying them despite the astronomical price tags. It's all about the monthly payment.