don't buy a Samsung smart watch

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a gear S3, while everything works and it pairs and all that fun stuff like notifications are working. You don't have the ability to download new watch faces or apps with the essential phone. Considering they just pushed a new update to the gear app and this is still the case. It will be probably another 6 months before they push another update that would include compatibility for the essential phone.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Biggest lost for me was Spotify. They are never going to support this phone. Considering I have this and the Gear Fit 2 I'm glad I no longer have the phone. My Gear Fit 2 was more important for updates than the Essential.

But who knows. Maybe they will get Samsung to come around

Tikerz

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
What do you mean? You should be able to change watch faces with an app like WatchMaker. What in Samsung Gear app is not working?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
You cannot download apps from the Samsung App store because it says the device is incompatible. So the only apps you have are the native apps that come on the smart wear devices. Any app updates or gear device updates will not be updated as well as not be able to download any other apps.

Screenshot_20170912-092350.jpg

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Biggest lost for me was Spotify. They are never going to support this phone. Considering I have this and the Gear Fit 2 I'm glad I no longer have the phone. My Gear Fit 2 was more important for updates than the Essential.

But who knows. Maybe they will get Samsung to come around

I'm stuck between selling the watch and recording me smashing it with a hammer and sending the video to samsung. I wanted the gear fit pro 2 for the swimming, looks like it will be Fitbit to the rescue. Apps should be plentiful for fit bit in a short amount of time due to their popularity.

selvinsosa

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I did have the S8 before I got the essential phone. I got that message all the time so I connect the gear S3 again on my S8 and back up my data ( I download all the watch faces that I like ) then I connect the gear S3 back to my essential phone and restore all my data. Now I have all the watch faces on my gear S3

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I did have the S8 before I got the essential phone. I got that message all the time so I connect the gear S3 again on my S8 and back up my data ( I download all the watch faces that I like ) then I connect the gear S3 back to my essential phone and restore all my data. Now I have all the watch faces on my gear S3

How do you get past the whole connect watch to new phone that pops up every time you connect the watch to a different phone.

selvinsosa

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
How do you get past the whole connect watch to new phone that pops up every time you connect the watch to a different phone.
I never got have any problem connecting my gear S3 on my other phones. I have tried it on the pixel xl- no pops up. The LG G6. No pops up, the essential was the only one I was getting the message about the device not supporting the gear S3. Other than that I don't get any other message.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I never got have any problem connecting my gear S3 on my other phones. I have tried it on the pixel xl- no pops up. The LG G6. No pops up, the essential was the only one I was getting the message about the device not supporting the gear S3. Other than that I don't get any other message.

What I am saying is that everytime you connect your gear S3 to a new phone, you have to do a soft reset. That deletes all of the downloaded watch faces and apps from the watch. It keeps your alarms and other settings. To restore the things to the watch requires you to have access to the Galaxy store. How are you able to connect the watch to 2 different phones with out doing the required reset for the watch.

selvinsosa

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What I am saying is that everytime you connect your gear S3 to a new phone, you have to do a soft reset. That deletes all of the downloaded watch faces and apps from the watch. It keeps your alarms and other settings. To restore the things to the watch requires you to have access to the Galaxy store. How are you able to connect the watch to 2 different phones with out doing the required reset for the watch.
I'm sorry I didn't understand. You need to reset the gear S3. What I did was this. I couldn't download any watch face having the gear S3 connect to my essential so I delete the gear app and all the associate apps . I connect the gear S3 to my Galaxy S8. After downloading all the watch faces and apps that I want. I went to the gear S3 app. - about gear - back up and restore. Back up data,
Once the back up is done. Download the gear app on the essential phone but do not open it. In your gear S3 go to settings and connect to a new device. Wait for the gear to reset . After the reset. Connect the gear to the essential. Let it connect and do all the process. Once you are done putting all your info and downloading the apps that the gears is asking you. Go back to the gear app on the essential.- about the gear. - back up and restore.- in back up data you will see the last date you back up you data. Now just hit restore data and you are done. Sorry if there is something I miss. My English is not to good ,

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm sorry I didn't understand. You need to reset the gear S3. What I did was this. I couldn't download any watch face having the gear S3 connect to my essential so I delete the gear app and all the associate apps . I connect the gear S3 to my Galaxy S8. After downloading all the watch faces and apps that I want. I went to the gear S3 app. - about gear - back up and restore. Back up data,
Once the back up is done. Download the gear app on the essential phone but do not open it. In your gear S3 go to settings and connect to a new device. Wait for the gear to reset . After the reset. Connect the gear to the essential. Let it connect and do all the process. Once you are done putting all your info and downloading the apps that the gears is asking you. Go back to the gear app on the essential.- about the gear. - back up and restore.- in back up data you will see the last date you back up you data. Now just hit restore data and you are done. Sorry if there is something I miss. My English is not to good ,

Good news, I got this to work with my kids old j3. Took a few tries to get the back to restore properly but it does work. I have ally apps and watch faces including Spotify.