I have a Windows 10 950XL that I use as my phone and for depositing business cheques. The phone, OS and app work flawlessly but Wells Fargo have decided to drop support for Windows this month

In view of the above I just bought an Essential phone just for depositing cheques. The phone is running Android 7.1.1

After reducing all the security settings I was finally able to download and install the Amazon Underground app. From that I selected the Wells Fargo App, that downloads fully, then fails when running the install with the very helpful error 'Cannot Install'

Any ideas?

Thank you
    10-17-2017 02:24 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Moved from the Android Apps forum to the Essential forum, since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Are you able to install the app from the Play Store instead, or are you in a region of the world that doesn't support the Play Store?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-17-2017 05:13 PM
    Hi B Diddy
    The Play Store asked a whole raft of personal questions and a required GMail account, so I used Amazon instead :-)

So far I have set
    'Allow installation of apps from unknown sources' in Security
    'Full scanning turned off' in Google > Security > Play Protect
    Added storage (then everything) to App Permissions in the Amazon App
    10-17-2017 05:25 PM
    It's up to you, of course, but I think the Play Store is a better bet than Amazon. Google will more reliably vet apps for malware (although granted, some apps will slip through sometimes, due to the sheer volume of apps available), and those apps will be updated much more quickly by the developer. Amazon's app selection is much leaner, and their apps often don't get updated as quickly or frequently (because my understanding is that the developer has to create a separate update just for the Amazon store, and can't just use the same one from the Play Store).
    modifier and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-17-2017 05:54 PM
    The only app I will be downloading is the Wells Fargo one (apart of course from the Amazon one to download that with...), so I'm not really worried about rogue ones - and I believe Wells Fargo update both locations at the same time
    10-17-2017 05:58 PM
    Sorry, I'm not sure why it's not letting you install. You could try sending the developer an email, but I'm guessing the chance of a response is relatively low.
    10-17-2017 06:13 PM
    We have raised an issue with Wells Fargo as well - personally I prefer to keep bashing at something whilst I can still remember all the things I have tried, but getting low on ideas now!
    10-17-2017 06:48 PM
    Only thing I'd suggest is the same as what @B. Diddy already mentioned. Try installing from the Play Store instead: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...llsfargomobile

I understand not wanting to start a new email account just for Play but does it have to be a Gmail account? It's been forever since I registered.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-17-2017 08:34 PM
    In the end I reluctantly created a GMail account I will never use and entered made up personal details - the app then downloaded and installed. Would still like to know what the deal is with Amazon. Is this Google trying to dominate the scene and ward of competition like MS up to a decade ago?
    10-18-2017 01:21 PM
    Oh - and after connecting to Play and downloading I got a notification from Amazon that it had installed!
    10-18-2017 01:32 PM
    Sounds like an Amazon issue more than anything. Hard to say, really.

Glad you finally got it installed!
    10-18-2017 03:24 PM
    Oh - and after connecting to Play and downloading I got a notification from Amazon that it had installed!
    This might be due to having gone through several attempts to install the app through Amazon. Once it got installed through the Play Store, maybe there's a leftover flag somewhere that signifies it's from Amazon.
    10-18-2017 05:55 PM