Why you STILL should not buy this phone even at $499

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
As an early adopter of devices I have pre-ordered many of phones and electronics. The promise of an essential phone that handed you a pure android experience with out all the BS was exciting. I mean, who couldn't resist Andy Rubin's musings about giving us a sturdy, sexy phone that would last for years? It was to be Android's iPhone.

It is not. It is a cold hard tablet made of titanium and ceramic (with a disgusting plastic rim around the screen that constantly dings and scratches) that is suppose to be close to invincible. It is not. After 3 weeks mine slipped from my work slacks onto the tile floor at the office. It cracked. I was sitting down in a rather low chair (approximately 2 feet) with a slight lean back. Thanks for the ceramic backing that is incredibly slippery! My screen shattered into 1.1 billion pieces with sharp glass and chunks making half the phone unusable with out slicing the tips of the fingers to shreds! (this is exaggeration) But the point is the phone is less sturdy than say my original Pixel which I dropped multiple times before the rear glass broke (not the front screen).

Maybe a rigid titanium and ceramic backing is a terrible idea. When you shove glass into a rigid square you make it much more prone to breaking because the energy pass through is more intense than it would be with say, an aluminum phone.

Oh well, I bought insurance for a reason. I did contact customer services to complain that the phone should not break with a single drop that hit a corner but they said "accidents happened." Not when their website promises a break free drop on concrete!

Asurion sent me a brand new phone, in a brand new shrink wrapped box within a week. (That was a bloody week for my fingers). On that topic the box looks like one of those cheaply designed boxes from Thaihland when you purchase non-name branded electronics from Thailand. That is to say, the box is essentially ugly.

Back to the phone - That beautiful body does look rather dashing on your desk. When google now or the home screen is open the brilliantly shaped screen with the small camera notch looks futuristic and splendid. It reminds me of what Motorola tried to do with the Droid series in 2012 - cold, hard, strong, bold, and anDROID.

The problem with designing something that has a cutout in the screen is that almost no apps support the black bar at the top. This leads to an ugly mess 90% of the time you use the phone. After more than a month with the phone there had been no updates to apps to fill in the screen. So, the phone is only beautiful when left on the home screen or google now. I would suspect many apps do not care to fix this.

Once you get over how beautiful the home screen looks you have to pick it up - because the near bezeless edges make this phone so thin and so short like it could be used with one hand! Well you can't. Seriously you cannot. Not only is the phone so heavy but it makes your workout shorts want to come off while running. The back design is so poorly thought through because there is no design! It's literally a right angle edge all the way around making this behemoth feel huge. It's very, very (that's a lot of very) difficult to hold with one hand. There's a reason almost no phone in the past 2 years has tried this design and maybe Andy should have paid attention.

The final issue I'd like to highlight is probably the most important of all. The radios in this phone are incredibly bad. Wifi signals are short range (half of the pixel 2 and pixel xl) and the switching between Wifi and data is miserably slow at times. Google itself only made a promise to work on handoff from Wifi to data a year or so ago (looking to copy iPhone). So the concept is new to android phones, but I cannot forgive the essential phone for how bad the connection is. You could shut the door of your bedroom 15 feet from the router and lose all your connection (even when ever other wifi connected device in your house works).

Like many people, the unlocked phones are great because we can say "Screw you!" to the man (phone company) and jump between carriers any day we want. Too bad the essential phone can barely work on T-Mobile. I admit that is the only carrier I have used it on but with my Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Moto Z, and One Plus 3T I've had great service in the same exact locations at the same exact time. So why can't the Essential phone keep up with these other flagships and the 3T budget phone? I don't know who to blame here, the architecture designer and use of old radios or the industrial designer who thought it was a great idea to use ceramic and titanium on a phone; making the radio waves bounce inside of dense metals and glass never to escape to the light of day! (long sentence).

So lets be honest with ourselves. The ideas that were spun by Andy himself were amazing, wonderful, delightful, and down right exciting, but this phone is not the one Andy released to the public. This phone that he got us giddy like a kid on Christmas eve is not the essential phone. (It's probably the Pixel 2 XL)

P.S. Don't buy the 3D camera either. It's overpriced and can only run 20 minutes before overheating.

Muddyml

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
As an early adopter of devices I have pre-ordered many of phones and electronics. The promise of an essential phone that handed you a pure android experience with out all the BS was exciting. I mean, who couldn't resist Andy Rubin's musings about giving us a sturdy, sexy phone that would last for years? It was to be Android's iPhone.

It is not. It is a cold hard tablet made of titanium and ceramic (with a disgusting plastic rim around the screen that constantly dings and scratches) that is suppose to be close to invincible. It is not. After 3 weeks mine slipped from my work slacks onto the tile floor at the office. It cracked. I was sitting down in a rather low chair (approximately 2 feet) with a slight lean back. Thanks for the ceramic backing that is incredibly slippery! My screen shattered into 1.1 billion pieces with sharp glass and chunks making half the phone unusable with out slicing the tips of the fingers to shreds! (this is exaggeration) But the point is the phone is less sturdy than say my original Pixel which I dropped multiple times before the rear glass broke (not the front screen).

Maybe a rigid titanium and ceramic backing is a terrible idea. When you shove glass into a rigid square you make it much more prone to breaking because the energy pass through is more intense than it would be with say, an aluminum phone.

Oh well, I bought insurance for a reason. I did contact customer services to complain that the phone should not break with a single drop that hit a corner but they said "accidents happened." Not when their website promises a break free drop on concrete!

Asurion sent me a brand new phone, in a brand new shrink wrapped box within a week. (That was a bloody week for my fingers). On that topic the box looks like one of those cheaply designed boxes from Thaihland when you purchase non-name branded electronics from Thailand. That is to say, the box is essentially ugly.

Back to the phone - That beautiful body does look rather dashing on your desk. When google now or the home screen is open the brilliantly shaped screen with the small camera notch looks futuristic and splendid. It reminds me of what Motorola tried to do with the Droid series in 2012 - cold, hard, strong, bold, and anDROID.

The problem with designing something that has a cutout in the screen is that almost no apps support the black bar at the top. This leads to an ugly mess 90% of the time you use the phone. After more than a month with the phone there had been no updates to apps to fill in the screen. So, the phone is only beautiful when left on the home screen or google now. I would suspect many apps do not care to fix this.

Once you get over how beautiful the home screen looks you have to pick it up - because the near bezeless edges make this phone so thin and so short like it could be used with one hand! Well you can't. Seriously you cannot. Not only is the phone so heavy it makes your workout shorts want to come off while running but the back design is so poorly thought through because there is no design! It's literally a right angle edge all the way around making this behemoth feel huge. It's very, very (that's a lot of very) difficult to hold with one hand. There's a reason almost no phone in the past 2 years has tried this design and maybe Andy should have paid attention.

The final issue I'd like to highlight is probably the most important of all. The radios in this phone are incredibly bad. Wifi signals are short range (half of the pixel 2 and pixel xl) and the switching between Wifi and data is miserably slow at times. Google itself only made a promise to work on handoff from Wifi to data a year or so ago (looking to copy iPhone) so the concept is new to android phones but I cannot forgive the essential phone for how bad the connection is. You could shut the door of your bedroom 15 feet from the router and lose all your connection (even when ever other wifi connected device in your house works).

Like many people, the unlocked phones are great because we can say "Screw you!" to the man (phone company) and jump between carriers any day we want. Too bad the essential phone can barely work on T-Mobile. I admit that is the only carrier I have used it on but with my Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Moto Z, and One Plus 3T I've had great service in the same exact locations at the same exact time. I don't know who to blame here, the architecture design and use of old radios or the industrial designer who thought it was a great idea to use ceramic and titanium on a phone making the radio waves bounce inside of dense metals and glass never to escape to the light of day! (long sentence).

So lets be honest with ourselves. The ideas that were spun by Andy himself were amazing, wonderful, delightful, and down right exciting but this phone is not the one Andy released to the public. This phone that he got us giddy like a kid on Christmas eve is not the essential phone.

P.S. Don't buy the 3D camera either. It's overpriced and can only run 20 minutes before overheating.
That's your opinion. I'm completely happy with mine and the 360 camera, but that's my opinion. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate you making this post man. I was seriously interested when it launched and the price drop sparked my interest again. But the radio issues worry me and I was skeptical about how well it would work on Verizon already. Also about the one handed usability. That was one of the things I thought this phone would be great for since it's not super tall like a lot of phones now. I'll probably test it out myself at a Sprint store but good to know.

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.tsdo.elw

The great thing about Android, is there is a community. And within that community are great people to solve some software issue. Whitelist being one.

And I never had any issues with the connection issues. My phone worked quite flawless in fact. No different than my S7E. I agree with the slippery and front screen issues alot of people have had. And the customer service was the reason I sent the phone back. But most of your statement is a rant and not actual fact.

Alot of the issues with this phone has been software issues and not so much hardware. How a company can screw up stock Android with your CEO being one of the creators of it is remarkable.

But for the most part I understand your frustration.

Guy Katz

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site

Once you get over how beautiful the home screen looks you have to pick it up - because the near bezeless edges make this phone so thin and so short like it could be used with one hand! Well you can't. Seriously you cannot. Not only is the phone so heavy but it makes your workout shorts want to come off while running. The back design is so poorly thought through because there is no design! It's literally a right angle edge all the way around making this behemoth feel huge. It's very, very (that's a lot of very) difficult to hold with one hand. There's a reason almost no phone in the past 2 years has tried this design and maybe Andy should have paid attention.

The final issue I'd like to highlight is probably the most important of all. The radios in this phone are incredibly bad. Wifi signals are short range (half of the pixel 2 and pixel xl) and the switching between Wifi and data is miserably slow at times. Google itself only made a promise to work on handoff from Wifi to data a year or so ago (looking to copy iPhone). So the concept is new to android phones, but I cannot forgive the essential phone for how bad the connection is. You could shut the door of your bedroom 15 feet from the router and lose all your connection (even when ever other wifi connected device in your house works).

Like many people, the unlocked phones are great because we can say "Screw you!" to the man (phone company) and jump between carriers any day we want. Too bad the essential phone can barely work on T-Mobile. I admit that is the only carrier I have used it on but with my Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Moto Z, and One Plus 3T I've had great service in the same exact locations at the same exact time. So why can't the Essential phone keep up with these other flagships and the 3T budget phone? I don't know who to blame here, the architecture designer and use of old radios or the industrial designer who thought it was a great idea to use ceramic and titanium on a phone; making the radio waves bounce inside of dense metals and glass never to escape to the light of day! (long sentence).

So lets be honest with ourselves. The ideas that were spun by Andy himself were amazing, wonderful, delightful, and down right exciting, but this phone is not the one Andy released to the public. This phone that he got us giddy like a kid on Christmas eve is not the essential phone. (It's probably the Pixel 2 XL)

Wow, what a post. Not sure if I'll buy one now. Maybe wait a bit.
Another thing that troubles me is that they have batches of phones with small differences such as the ear piece cloth/metal mesh issue.
It's like the lottery.. of o wait more will they continue to improve the hardware? Which one will I get if I wait?
Don't know what to say.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

On the contrary, I have the opposite opinion. While I agree that the phone is slipery, the squared off bezel edges does provide the needed grip. Remember the iphone 4 design from few years ago? Glass back with squared off aluminum bezels? The essential phone is EXACTLY the same. While I personally do not use a protective case, most people do and with a case, it shouldn't be an issue at all. In terms of usability with one hand, I have small hands too and that's a big reason I never bought a phablet and rejected the Pixel 2/Note 8/LG V30 outright as they are just too big for my tiny hands. While the Essential is not the smallest phone, it is small enough that I can use it comfortably with one hand.

For those interested unboxing and my initial impressions, please check out this video:

The radios in this phone are incredibly bad. Wifi signals are short range (half of the pixel 2 and pixel xl) and the switching between Wifi and data is miserably slow at times. Google itself only made a promise to work on handoff from Wifi to data a year or so ago (looking to copy iPhone). So the concept is new to android phones, but I cannot forgive the essential phone for how bad the connection is. You could shut the door of your bedroom 15 feet from the router and lose all your connection (even when ever other wifi connected device in your house works).

You might have a bad device. I have no such issues and my Wifi signal stays strong, even across the walls. Check your wifi settings, maybe you are forcing the device to connect at 5Ghz, which has less range than 2.4Ghz band. In terms of cellular connection, I am on AT&T and have no connectivity issues...not sure about other carriers.

Last edited:

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Probing XDA forums it seems Tmobile and this phone have multiple users complaining about the connectivity. Also, I may have mislead what I meant about squared backing on the phone. I feel like the phone feels too cumbersome and thick (even though it is incredibly thin) because of the edges on the back.

For the most part the post was meant to be exaggerated and fun but I did sell my Essential and buy a pixel 2 because I still firmly believe $499 is too much for all the issues and lack of refinement.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Well ceramic might look nice but it breaks and is slippery, Two downsides. I’d use some type of case so wouldn’t bother me. What would tho is the extra weight. I think that would kill it for me even if none of the other issues being talked about had affected my device. More Weight does not equal better quality. IMO anyway. I’ll be looking forward to see what they come out with next year if anything.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well ceramic might look nice but it breaks and is slippery
Ummm...yes, but it is stronger than glass, which is used in a lot of phones these days for the back panel. If the back is made of plastic, it will break too and if it is aluminum, then it can get scratched and dinged easily.
I am not trying to justify the use of ceramic, but it is certainly not a bad choice of material for back panel. Some of the high end swiss watches and now non-existent Vertu phones were made with ceramic.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Ummm...yes, but it is stronger than glass, which is used in a lot of phones these days for the back panel. If the back is made of plastic, it will break too and if it is aluminum, then it can get scratched and dinged easily.
I am not trying to justify the use of ceramic, but it is certainly not a bad choice of material for back panel. Some of the high end swiss watches and now non-existent Vertu phones were made with ceramic.

Ceramic is certainly less breakable than glass, no argument. I’m not a fan of either for a phones backside tho. I’m a non conformist :p
But it is slippery and that would be why I’d personally use a case. I keep my cases as minimal as I can but for me grippiness is a must. But phone materials aside the weight of the thing would kill it for me. It’s an awesome looking device tho. It will be interesting to see if phone makers start shifting to ceramics over glass.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate you making this post man. I was seriously interested when it launched and the price drop sparked my interest again. But the radio issues worry me and I was skeptical about how well it would work on Verizon already. Also about the one handed usability. That was one of the things I thought this phone would be great for since it's not super tall like a lot of phones now. I'll probably test it out myself at a Sprint store but good to know.

I had the Essential on Verizon and didn't get signal in areas I would ordinarily get signal on other phones. Otherwise liked the phone, but that's obviously a deal breaker.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
For those interested unboxing and my initial impressions, please check out this video:
Was your device a previous return? The protective plastic on your phone shouldn't have had any bubbles in it and the charger should have had plastic around it. You didn't show zipping open the pull-tab so it's difficult to know if your box was originally sealed from Essential.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Was your device a previous return? The protective plastic on your phone shouldn't have had any bubbles in it and the charger should have had plastic around it. You didn't show zipping open the pull-tab so it's difficult to know if your box was originally sealed from Essential.

It was a sealed box. I had to re-shoot the protective plastic removal scene, so thus the bubbles :) You can probably tell, I am not a professional phone reviewer haha

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
It was a sealed box. I had to re-shoot the protective plastic removal scene, so thus the bubbles :) You can probably tell, I am not a professional phone reviewer haha
LOL... no worries! Just wanted to make sure someone wasn't pulling a fast one on you. Glad it was 100% new. :D

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site

Where to start, essential has updated the resources app which allowed a bunch apps to utilize the whole screen, including nova. If that's not good enough for you over at XDA they have a thread with the adb command that will white list every app on your phone and allow them to use the whole screen. This does not require root to work.

I have the best signal with this phone than any other phone I have used on sprint. I have no problem with WiFi at all, at work which is a giant hospital complex I can walk between buildings and never lose wifi. What kind of wifi band are you connected to. If it's 5ghz you will get killer speeds, I get around 175 Mbps at home using that band. You don't get distance with that band at all. 2.4 is the best for distance, I can switch to that and have wifi still work in my car next to the road.

Don't be careless with a device that cost 700 bucks and set it somewhere it's prone to have an accident. I have dropped plenty of phones one time and had them crack. It mainly has to do with how exactly did the phone land. On all the other phones you have dropped, did they have a case or do you use all phones with out a case. Did they have screen protectors as well?

This is a purely opinion based take on this phone.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Wow, what a post. Not sure if I'll buy one now. Maybe wait a bit.
Another thing that troubles me is that they have batches of phones with small differences such as the ear piece cloth/metal mesh issue.
It's like the lottery.. of o wait more will they continue to improve the hardware? Which one will I get if I wait?
Don't know what to say.

The ear piece issue was a manufacturer issue that has since been corrected. It's the reason the launch outside of essential was put off till mid September. The hardware is just fine, I have no issues at all. This is the first phone on sprint that I haven't had to use wifi calling in my house. The battery life is insanely good on this device, I routinely get over 6 hours of sot and have stretched it past 8 with out using battery saver on a couple occasions. Everything runs smoother on this phone, it's a very nice pure Android phone. Essential has done a great job with pushing updates and getting a lot of the early bugs fixed. All the issues the reviewers hit on are non existent now.

If you are a huge camera junkie and have to have the best camera in a phone ever. This one might not be the one, although I don't care about the camera in a phone. I haven't really taken a crappy picture yet. I don't really take to many pictures to begin with.

All in all I couldn't be happier with this phone.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Err...no it does not overheat and does not run just for 20 mins. Are you sure you didn’t receive a bad unit? Sorry, but what you said isn’t the experience I am getting with my 360 camera.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Where to start, essential has updated the resources app which allowed a bunch apps to utilize the whole screen, including nova. If that's not good enough for you over at XDA they have a thread with the adb command that will white list every app on your phone and allow them to use the whole screen. This does not require root to work.

I have the best signal with this phone than any other phone I have used on sprint. I have no problem with WiFi at all, at work which is a giant hospital complex I can walk between buildings and never lose wifi. What kind of wifi band are you connected to. If it's 5ghz you will get killer speeds, I get around 175 Mbps at home using that band. You don't get distance with that band at all. 2.4 is the best for distance, I can switch to that and have wifi still work in my car next to the road.

Don't be careless with a device that cost 700 bucks and set it somewhere it's prone to have an accident. I have dropped plenty of phones one time and had them crack. It mainly has to do with how exactly did the phone land. On all the other phones you have dropped, did they have a case or do you use all phones with out a case. Did they have screen protectors as well?

This is a purely opinion based take on this phone.

First, if you want to comment on my thread and "try" to rip apart my piece, at least read the whole thing. Skimming it and contradicting things that have been answered in the post is unprofessional at best making your post more opinion/bias than mine.

I should not have to go to Xda forums and go into ADB and adjust settings to get my phone to work properly to fill the screen. I should not have to use NOVA because the phone's appeal is that you can use STOCK Android. Like I said, my belief based on Andy Rubin's statements is that we should have a stock android that just works and is beautiful. Too bad this phone is only somewhat beautiful and doesn't work properly.

A lot of what I said is factual in my experience. I stated that the Wifi issues through 2.4ghz and 5ghz had terrible hand off (which is very true compared to other devices I have tested). Many readers over and XDA and here have complained the radios are not quite as good and this has been regularly suggested as the Titanium and Ceramic build. If the problem is truly poor handoff it's a patch away from being fixed. If the issue is the build then that's another story.

Placing your phone in your pocket is not a careless move. Where do you suggest I stick it? I do not use cases with phones. Why would I? Manufacturers style phones to look a certain way and if I don't like the way the phone looks I do not purchase it. It's a personal item. Essential states they drop tested it on concrete without any issues (in fact, who can be sure because the video on their website looks awfully CGI based) but dropping one foot on tile is not appropriate for a "durable" phone.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
The unit I had lasted 20 minutes at the zoo. The weather was approximately 85 degrees and the phone over heats very quickly. I was in the shade the entire duration and I assume the phone over heating contributed to the 360 camera to over heat and shut off. The nice part is the cam actually has a thermostat in it and kicks on the fan then alerts the user via the phone screen to let it cool down. I think the 20mins I got was partially weather, partially the phone making the camera too hot.

On that note, the phone became almost too hot to hold in the middle and I had to hold the outer edges. To me, this is weird because ceramic should be a better insulator than aluminum keeping the outside of the phone cooler. Maybe because it is a better insulator it kept more heat in allowing the phone to get hotter than it should have or preventing the phone from dissipating the temp.

Last edited: