Camera/photo quality after updates

cmdr430

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL now, and Pixel XL 2 that is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

When the PH-1was first announced I signed up to get one. Never did. My Pixel XL was great. I am now reconsidering the PH-1 again.

Any input on how much better the camera has become after the updates? I am not solely looking for the best camera, obviously this is a phone first with a camera, but I don't want utter ****.

Thanks

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a Pixel XL now, and Pixel XL 2 that is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

When the PH-1was first announced I signed up to get one. Never did. My Pixel XL was great. I am now reconsidering the PH-1 again.

Any input on how much better the camera has become after the updates? I am not solely looking for the best camera, obviously this is a phone first with a camera, but I don't want utter ****.

Thanks

I have the same question. I have one on order to answer it myself.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
The camera is certainly better after the updates, but it is still not at the same level as other flagship phones. You have to remember that Essential so far has been great at supporting the phone and providing software updates (Andy Rubin has said that Oreo will be released in few weeks), so camera will continue to improve. BUT it is not at the same level right now as other phones.

Some things that I do not like about the camera:
1. Not very good low light performance. It has improved with the updates, but there is still so much more that Essential needs to do.
2. HDR doesn't seem to do much.
3. No HDR+ mode.
4. No Pro mode. This is something that is in the works, according to Andy Rubin.
5. No optical stabilization (OIS) - camera hardware doesn't support it.
6. No electronic stabilization (EIS) - camera software can support it, if Essential develops it. No rumors or news about it right now.

So if camera is the most important decision factor for you, you should stick with the Pixel or Note 8 or iPhone 8. If camera isn't the most important thing, then there is plenty to like about this phone:

1. Flagship specs on a $499 phone.
2. Outstanding build quality. There isn't a phone in the market that uses ceramic and titanium for construction.
3. True edge to edge screen, with a thin chin...no other phone except the iPhone X is like it.
4. Buttery smooth software experience, it hardly ever fails to impress me with the responsiveness.
5. Ergonomics - This phone is smaller than other flagships, even with its big screen. One handed operation is very easy.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
In low light I'm still getting better results from the ported Google HDR+ camera app than the stock one. In good lighting and HDR mode enabled on the Essential camera app, they seem to be quite well matched.

As @shashankmittal mentioned, the choice might come down to the build quality and camera. If you want a well-built phone with a decent camera, Essential is a solid choice. If you want an awesome camera and (arguably) lesser build quality, the Pixel 2 / 2 XL would likely be the better choice.

Last edited:

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't have an issue with the camera. To be fair, my previous Android phone was the OP5, which didn't have the greatest camera either. I have an iPhone 7+ though, and I honestly don't feel like I'm losing much (if anything) in terms of quality.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
The camera is certainly better after the updates, but it is still not at the same level as other flagship phones. You have to remember that Essential so far has been great at supporting the phone and providing software updates (Andy Rubin has said that Oreo will be released in few weeks), so camera will continue to improve. BUT it is not at the same level right now as other phones.

Some things that I do not like about the camera:
1. Not very good low light performance. It has improved with the updates, but there is still so much more that Essential needs to do.
2. HDR doesn't seem to do much.
3. No HDR+ mode.
4. No Pro mode. This is something that is in the works, according to Andy Rubin.
5. No optical stabilization (OIS) - camera hardware doesn't support it.
6. No electronic stabilization (EIS) - camera software can support it, if Essential develops it. No rumors or news about it right now.

So if camera is the most important decision factor for you, you should stick with the Pixel or Note 8 or iPhone 8. If camera isn't the most important thing, then there is plenty to like about this phone:

1. Flagship specs on a $499 phone.
2. Outstanding build quality. There isn't a phone in the market that uses ceramic and titanium for construction.
3. True edge to edge screen, with a thin chin...no other phone except the iPhone X is like it.
4. Buttery smooth software experience, it hardly ever fails to impress me with the responsiveness.
5. Ergonomics - This phone is smaller than other flagships, even with its big screen. One handed operation is very easy.
When I had the Essential, It was far from buttery smooth. It was delayed, touch response was bad and force closes happened. Of course I was a early adopter and this was back in early September.

Has this all been corrected?

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
When I had the Essential, It was far from buttery smooth. It was delayed, touch response was bad and force closes happened. Of course I was a early adopter and this was back in early September.

When I had the Essential, it was very fast, but you're right that touch response was horrific. It often didn't register a touch. Signal was also weak. And the haptic feedback was like a buzz saw. Completely contrasted the elegance of the exterior build.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

I have not had any of those issues so far. They have pushed out 2 system updates so far, which I believe fixed most of the glaring issues. Signal strength is at par with my girlfriend's iPhone 6S, so no issues there either.

Can't wait to see Oreo on this phone in the next few weeks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar