Android 8 - Developer Beta!

Stinger4321

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this.. awesome.. and I just received the phone yesterday.. looks like essential is doing their part in making this a great phone..

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Finished flashing, was pretty straight forward.

Happy to get my night mode back

f7e405aa7345b830dc1b3e361f235d80.jpg

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Just installed it and now exploring what's new.

First impressions:
- Night mode is available

- Switching modes in camera is faster

- The color scheme is more white and no dark shades, especially in the quick panel

- Fingerprint gesture - swipe once to check notifications and swipe twice to open the quick panel. I think the swipe twice was not available before

f0619410364cff28e9b6938e25ffde68.jpg

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing in their release notes while downloading that there may be battery drain with Bluetooth on. So I have turned off Bluetooth for now.
Will have to see if I want to make it my daily driver for couple of days, my be one of the weekend I'll l use it more extensively to see how it goes.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
So far so good for me. I installed the Google Camera port and the Motion Photo options is working on it now.

Last edited:

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Flashed my spare white phone and relocked the bootloader. Went smooth overall.

If the beta proves stable enough I'll flash it on my daily driver. It sounds like the final build of Oreo will overwrite the beta via OTA when it's ready for release.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Flashed my spare white phone and relocked the bootloader. Went smooth overall.

If the beta proves stable enough I'll flash it on my daily driver. It sounds like the final build of Oreo will overwrite the beta via OTA when it's ready for release.
Why did you have to unlock bootloader that you had to relock bootloader? I just side loaded the Oreo beta zip file from essential and didn't have to unlock boot loader to flash.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Why did you have to unlock bootloader that you had to relock bootloader? I just side loaded the Oreo beta zip file from essential and didn't have to unlock boot loader to flash.
Because I had it unlocked on 7.1.1 for testing. I had to relock it to meet MDM requirements so I could install some of my apps.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Not sure if anyone else noticed this but the Oreo beta regulatory info shows that a launch in Japan is imminent.

Screenshot_20171116-131511.jpg

(Bonus points if you caught the "imminent" reference. ;))

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
Any issues like reported on earlier 7.1 like lag and freezing up? Looking at buying this phone but been seeing a lot of bad reviews. I like the specs and build quality but need a phone I can depend on for work.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Any issues like reported on earlier 7.1 like lag and freezing up? Looking at buying this phone but been seeing a lot of bad reviews. I like the specs and build quality but need a phone I can depend on for work.

There are lot of bad reviews because the initial software wasn't as stable. The numerous software updates have certainly made things a lot better. It is too early to comment if Oreo (which is still in beta) is stable.
If you want to buy, then you should. If you don't like it, return it. Another great phone in the same price range is the OP 5T.

Torque_beast

Jul 30, 2017
Visit site
There are lot of bad reviews because the initial software wasn't as stable. The numerous software updates have certainly made things a lot better. It is too early to comment if Oreo (which is still in beta) is stable.
If you want to buy, then you should. If you don't like it, return it. Another great phone in the same price range is the OP 5T.

I looked at that too but from what I read it will not work with Verizon

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I looked at that too but from what I read it will not work with Verizon

It works fine on Verizon. I'm using mine on Verizon. WiFi calling doesn't work (there have been a few reports it does - but I think those are flukes). I don't really care about WiFi calling. VOLTE works great and I have just as good reception as I had with my Pixel. I love my PH-1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy