"Unlocked" Sprint version of the Essential PH-1

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
On reseller sites such as eBay and Swappa, I am seeing people selling unlocked phones from Sprint. What is the possible downside to buying one for other networks?

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
On reseller sites such as eBay and Swappa, I am seeing people selling unlocked phones from Sprint. What is the possible downside to buying one for other networks?

If they are unlocked there is no downside. It's the same phone as the one you buy from essential. With sprint it is sim locked when you buy if from them. When it's paid off, you just have sprint remove the sim lock.

If you have concerns about updates, you can just side load the update like I do. I have the sprint model and I am currently running the Oreo beta. I can't answer questions about the network, my daily driver is now an iPhone and I'm not a carry 2 phones around kind of guy.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend buying a Sprint phone even if it's been unlocked. Updates are potentially tied to the IMEI number, meaning they'll be behind anyone on a phone that was unlocked from the beginning. To be safe, find one that wasn't originally sold through Sprint.

Edit: It sounds like unlocking it actually frees it up from Sprint updates, assuming you're using it on another network.

Last edited:

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Sprint version to use on T-Mobile. As soon as I paid it off and unlocked it I got all the latest updates. Doing some research it looks like Sprint only locks the Sim so once you unlock it your good to go.

shashankmittal

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any carrier bloatware on the Spring model? Any other carrier restrictions? If not, then go for it. You can always side load updates if you want them sooner on your phone, since factory unlocked models will get those updates first.

If I was you, I would just get the factory unlocked version for peace of mind.

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I grabbed one off Swappa to see. Zero bloat. Once I put in my VZW SIM everything looks identical to my unlocked one. For $310 I have a new PH-1. If I find any issues, I shall update here, but so far it seems to be exactly the same.

To bypass all Sprint stuff, put SIM in before turning on for initial setup.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I grabbed one off Swappa to see. Zero bloat. Once I put in my VZW SIM everything looks identical to my unlocked one. For $310 I have a new PH-1. If I find any issues, I shall update here, but so far it seems to be exactly the same.

To bypass all Sprint stuff, put SIM in before turning on for initial setup.

Any problems so far?

morriea

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Any problems so far?
Today the phone refused to find the VZW tower, but the issue was with the carrier. I was able to get back up later in the day after contacting them. Since this was a VZW issue I hesitate to list it, but it was a problem. I live in a rural area at the edge of cell penetration with only the the one carrier and one tower. I am pleasantly surprised by how good my connection is. Moto phones have been the best out here until this phone. I have seen connectivity as an issue for some, but so far so good.

Visual Voice mail does not work (true of my unlocked one as well). The My Verizon app and Messaging+ both ask for sign-in each day, but that is also true of my unlocked one.

Overall, I believe there is no discernable difference when buying the Sprint one unlocked.

donnyb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I also pick up a unlocked Sprint version of the Essential. I have been using it on T-Mobile without an issues. Seems to act like a regular unlocked Essential phone.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I also pick up a unlocked Sprint version of the Essential. I have been using it on T-Mobile without an issues. Seems to act like a regular unlocked Essential phone.

That's because it's the same exact phone. There isn't a different special model for sprint. The only thing sprint does is applies a sim lock when the phone is set up with a sprint sim card.

Stevemaclive

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
If you don't mind, could you clarify further. After I purchase the phone, can I call and ask to pay in full? Or do I need to wait 18 months and then pay in full?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
If you don't mind, could you clarify further. After I purchase the phone, can I call and ask to pay in full? Or do I need to wait 18 months and then pay in full?

You can call in to pay the phone off, you don't need to wait the 18 months. The actual monthly payment is $5; not a larger amount with a credit that lowers the price to $5. So, if you go to pay it off, you'll pay the $5 times the number of remaining lease payments, plus the $30 to buy the phone after the lease is fulfilled.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Sprint has now changed the pricing on the Essential; the price is now $699 (though that may be the same); but to lease the phone it is now $6 after a $23.17 monthly credit. So, if you try to pay the phone off early now, you will be charged roughly $30/month for each month remaining on the lease. I'd complain about the change in the lease price but, frankly, I'm shocked Sprint ever offered the phone for $5/month.

latoso77

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Sprint has now changed the pricing on the Essential; the price is now $699 (though that may be the same); but to lease the phone it is now $6 after a $23.17 monthly credit. So, if you try to pay the phone off early now, you will be charged roughly $30/month for each month remaining on the lease. I'd complain about the change in the lease price but, frankly, I'm shocked Sprint ever offered the phone for $5/month.
Im sure after the lease is up, to buy the phone will be 180+ taxes

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Im sure after the lease is up, to buy the phone will be 180+ taxes

That appears about right, since Sprint is listing the full price as $699. You pay roughly $525 over the term of the lease, leaving roughly $175 balance after the lease ends. Basically, under the old $5 payment plan you could completely buy the phone cheaper than that final payment now after the lease if finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34