With the price drop and what happened with Andy Rubin I'm really worried about the future of Essential.

First the price drop is quite steep which means that

A: They're selling near or below cost

B: they were blatemtly screwing people over before.

If it's the latter then what can be said about the company's ethic and if it's the former then what kind of long term support are we looking at here?

Now if they're selling near or below cost, with Andy Rubin having to take a leave of absence from Essential for something that could cost him his job, how will the company survive? The main marketing point was made on him being the inventor of Android.

So even at this price I'm a bit too worried of ending with a $500 ceramic brick in a near future.

What do you think?
    12-03-2017 11:59 AM
    Not worried at all. It's just a phone. Everything will be fine. But, the Internet thrives on melodrama so I guess it's the new normal to worry about everything.

They explained why they dropped the price. Andy's only gone for a month.

If something bad actually does happen, that's the time to worry. Speculating does no good.
    dlalonde and ChuckG73 like this.
    12-03-2017 12:07 PM
    "So even at this price I'm a bit too worried of ending with a $500 ceramic brick..."

This is not something that I am worried about in the least. Even if the company goes under, they are not going to brick the phone. The Oreo build is Project Treble compliant as well, which makes the device easy for custom ROMs. In fact LineageOS is already available even without the release of the source code (I cannot see Essential not releasing it if they do go under).
    dlalonde likes this.
    12-03-2017 12:16 PM
    Not worried at all. It's just a phone. Everything will be fine. But, the Internet thrives on melodrama so I guess it's the new normal to worry about everything.

They explained why they dropped the price. Andy's only gone for a month.

If something bad actually does happen, that's the time to worry. Speculating does no good.
    Well I wasn't speculating. When I say worry I mean no one has $500 to buy a phone that's not going to be supported. That's the worry I had. Nothing more dramatic

"So even at this price I'm a bit too worried of ending with a $500 ceramic brick..."

This is not something that I am worried about in the least. Even if the company goes under, they are not going to brick the phone. The Oreo build is Project Treble compliant as well, which makes the device easy for custom ROMs. In fact LineageOS is already available even without the release of the source code (I cannot see Essential not releasing it if they do go under).
    I know they're not going to brick the phone. I just meant it as a non-updated phone. I do have a talent for overly dramatic images though

That being said you're right about the custom roms. Mabye the camera will improve then ha ha!
    12-03-2017 06:25 PM
    Andy's name is on it regardless of whatever happens with the company. I personally don't see them giving up or going away. I think the negative initial news put everyone into more of a panic than necessary, but of course I could be totally wrong. I guess we'll know for sure by this time next year.
    dlalonde likes this.
    12-03-2017 06:48 PM
    If Andy stays, I see a future for the line. If not, uh oh. It is common public knowledge that they have sold a fraction of the phones they anticipated. We are talking numbers so low they might as well have sold zero. That's the scary part.
    dlalonde likes this.
    12-03-2017 08:20 PM
    If Andy stays, I see a future for the line. If not, uh oh. It is common public knowledge that they have sold a fraction of the phones they anticipated. We are talking numbers so low they might as well have sold zero. That's the scary part.
    Do you have sources for these supposedly crazy low numbers. A few weeks ago, sprint actually ran out again and they had an estimated date posted on there shipping page. Considering the sprint phone is identical to every other essential phone out there. That indicates they are selling just fine to the point of running out of them.
    12-04-2017 09:25 PM
    Do you have sources for these supposedly crazy low numbers. A few weeks ago, sprint actually ran out again and they had an estimated date posted on there shipping page. Considering the sprint phone is identical to every other essential phone out there. That indicates they are selling just fine to the point of running out of them.
    This has been talked about and linked to in this very forum. Many times. Google is your friend (whereas here in China it is blocked).
    12-05-2017 12:58 AM
    Even in this crazy politically correct world, I cannot imagine Essential going under over a prior inappropriate relationship at a previous company. If so, we collectively have far greater worries than the $500 we spent on this phone. I'll then be selling all stock and 401Ks and converting everything to gold, the politically correct proof commodity, and watch as Rome burns. And I don't think they screwed anyone with the original price; it sure doesn't cost Apple or Samsung $1,000 to make a phone. How else is the world littered with buy one get one free offers?
    modifier and Morty2264 like this.
    12-05-2017 05:24 AM
    I personally do not think Essential will go under based on the incident with Andy Rubin. The interpersonal affairs of owners, CEO's, etc should not have an impact on the future of their tech company, in my opinion. Plus, as it is with all negative press, this will soon fade away; especially if some other "tech news" makes the scene soon.

The Essential Phone is a great device and it's too bad that this kind of press is out there; which may sway potential buyers.
    dlalonde likes this.
    12-05-2017 09:35 AM
    This just in Andy Rubin is back just like essential said he would. Rest assured essential isn't going anywhere!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-09-2017 07:44 PM
    This just in Andy Rubin is back just like essential said he would. Rest assured essential isn't going anywhere!
    Already? I thought he was going to take a month off. Guess the wife forgave him a lot sooner than he though.
    12-09-2017 08:54 PM
    Already? I thought he was going to take a month off. Guess the wife forgave him a lot sooner than he though.
    I'm sure he did take a month off. He asked for that at the beginning of november. Way before any stupid report about some **** at Google that's over a year old.
    12-10-2017 01:34 AM