Average consumer reviews

Neill Baldwin

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine off of Amazon and still go back and check the reviews to see what people are saying about this phone. It seems to me the feedback on this phone are pretty d@mn good. I know this phone has had it's issues(won't rehash camera) but it suprises me it doesn't get more positive press and not many people making cases and stuff. I hope everyone who has issues gets them fixed with updates because coming from my S7 edge, I love this phone.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine off of Amazon and still go back and check the reviews to see what people are saying about this phone. It seems to me the feedback on this phone are pretty d@mn good. I know this phone has had it's issues(won't rehash camera) but it suprises me it doesn't get more positive press and not many people making cases and stuff. I hope everyone who has issues gets them fixed with updates because coming from my S7 edge, I love this phone.
Only issue I have is with freezing up. Fast otherwise

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a bit of a mixed camp; however, I have a friend who got her Essential Phone around Christmastime and loves it. Definitely seems like a good phone, and I hope more accessories come out for it soon!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Many of the poor reviews were deserved after all the issues with buggy software and quality control problems. The original $700 price didn't help. Phones in that price range get compared to the top flagships. I initially purchased the black version which had software and hardware issues but wasn't as bad as some. Fortunately, Essential has fixed many of the bugs and permanently dropped the price to a reasonable $500. I'm now on my third phone (pure white). It's been pretty much perfect with no random reboots, scrolling lag or other oft mentioned problems. Camera has improved but it's just ok compared to recent flagships.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Many of the poor reviews were deserved after all the issues with buggy software and quality control problems. The original $700 price didn't help. Phones in that price range get compared to the top flagships. I initially purchased the black version which had software and hardware issues but wasn't as bad as some. Fortunately, Essential has fixed many of the bugs and permanently dropped the price to a reasonable $500. I'm now on my third phone (pure white). It's been pretty much perfect with no random reboots, scrolling lag or other oft mentioned problems. Camera has improved but it's just ok compared to recent flagships.

I'm glad you are enjoying your white Essential Phone! It is a gorgeous device.

Neill Baldwin

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

I agree, from all that I read, the reviews were deserved. However, with the price drop and improved updates, I would think this phone would get a little more attention. I know for me personally, if I had a friend looking for a new Android phone $500 or under I would highly recommend it as long as you can deal with the so so camera.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree, from all that I read, the reviews were deserved. However, with the price drop and improved updates, I would think this phone would get a little more attention. I know for me personally, if I had a friend looking for a new Android phone $500 or under I would highly recommend it as long as you can deal with the so so camera.

I agree: at the price mark of $500, it's a worthy choice.

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site

I highly disagree. At first, absolutely I would of. But having it now for a couple months, the consistent freezing/laginess/and reboots I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. At least once a day I have to either manually reset it, or it resets on it's own after freezing up for a few minutes. At this point the only good thing about this phone is the build quality. The 360 camera didn't even work and I had to send it back.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I highly disagree. At first, absolutely I would of. But having it now for a couple months, the consistent freezing/laginess/and reboots I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. At least once a day I have to either manually reset it, or it resets on it's own after freezing up for a few minutes. At this point the only good thing about this phone is the build quality. The 360 camera didn't even work and I had to send it back.

This is awful! Can you send it back to your carrier or from where you purchased it?

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Sadly I don't think bestbuy would accept a return at this point

While they likely wouldn't accept a return, you might be able to get their Geek Squad to do an exchange for you. It seems most of us are not having issues with freezing and reboots, and even lag seems to be minimal for most; so it seems as if you might have an issue with your phone.

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
While they likely wouldn't accept a return, you might be able to get their Geek Squad to do an exchange for you. It seems most of us are not having issues with freezing and reboots, and even lag seems to be minimal for most; so it seems as if you might have an issue with your phone.

Perhaps. I might begrudgingly do a factory reset to see if that resolves anything

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps. I might begrudgingly do a factory reset to see if that resolves anything

Since you are about the only one have this severe of an issue, it would seem to me that it is app related. Something isn't playing well with others.

If you are going to do a reset, I would suggest you start out slowly adding your apps. Load only, at first, those apps that you absolutely have to have on a day to day basis. I'd leave games off for the first week. I all is good after the week, start adding more of the nice to have apps a few at a time.

If things aren't good, I'd try removing any added apps that aren't provided with initial install. Then start adding a couple more at a time.

I really hope you get it figured out.

rld082982

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Since you are about the only one have this severe of an issue, it would seem to me that it is app related. Something isn't playing well with others.

If you are going to do a reset, I would suggest you start out slowly adding your apps. Load only, at first, those apps that you absolutely have to have on a day to day basis. I'd leave games off for the first week. I all is good after the week, start adding more of the nice to have apps a few at a time.

If things aren't good, I'd try removing any added apps that aren't provided with initial install. Then start adding a couple more at a time.

I really hope you get it figured out.

Thanks, I'll try this

philesk

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, I'll try this
I agree with the recommendation to do a factory reset. I read of problems due to setting up a new phone using the 'transfer from another phone' utility. So I did a clean setup adding my apps back directly from Google Play and Amazon Apps. In addition, since I got my PH-1 on BF sale, it loaded s bunch of OTA updates before I even tried adding my apps.

Result is I have had zero problems of the type described by you and others. If you still have problems after the factory reset, you probably have a damaged or defective unit and it needs to be RMAed back to Essential for repair or exchange.
Good luck...