Next Essential

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You and about a dozen other people around the world. :)

This company will be lucky to make it to Gen II. Good grief have they crashed and burned.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
If they are smart they will move to a 2-year cycle instead of 1-year cycle. There is simply no need to release a new device every year for any brand other than the top 3-4 manufacturers, and even there it is pointless, only done because of marketing reasons. LG has finally figured this out and they are, despite all their woes still much bigger. Others should follow suit.

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Why so much hate on this phone? I have had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it coming from an s7. Love the simplicity, design and battery life.. Not a crazy picture taker but I don't see much issue with camera either

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Why so much hate on this phone? I have had mine for about a month now and absolutely love it coming from an s7. Love the simplicity, design and battery life.. Not a crazy picture taker but I don't see much issue with camera either
The negativity associated with the phone from all the earlier issues gained a lot of momentum. Many now assume the phone is a lost cause and Essential won't make it to a 2nd gen phone. My phone had issues but now runs very well on open beta 3. I hope Essential gets another shot but that's ultimately up to their investors.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Personally i believe the hate was well deserved after their disastrous launch. The $700 price tag was completely unjustified for what they delivered. The camera in particular was a disaster and in many ways still is.

I have the white phone and use it daily, but it does still have touchscreen issues and I have given up using the camera in anything but perfect lighting conditions. Sometimes I stick my sim card back into my iphone 6S+ if I know I will need a reliable camera.

What happens down the road is a big fat unknown. Hopefully Essential can survive and thrive. We shall see.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Personally i believe the hate was well deserved after their disastrous launch. The $700 price tag was completely unjustified for what they delivered. The camera in particular was a disaster and in many ways still is.

I have the white phone and use it daily, but it does still have touchscreen issues and I have given up using the camera in anything but perfect lighting conditions. Sometimes I stick my sim card back into my iphone 6S+ if I know I will need a reliable camera.

What happens down the road is a big fat unknown. Hopefully Essential can survive and thrive. We shall see.

The Essential looks and feels amazing, but it isn't reliable. For some, it's poor cell signal. For others, it's the camera. And yet for others, it's missed touches or forced reboots. The point is this phone just seems a bit half baked in comparison to any other flagship.

antomic

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
The negativity associated with the phone from all the earlier issues gained a lot of momentum. Many now assume the phone is a lost cause and Essential won't make it to a 2nd gen phone. My phone had issues but now runs very well on open beta 3. I hope Essential gets another shot but that's ultimately up to their investors.

Could you please elaborate on the issues you had with your phone which now runs well on beta 3? Specifically, was one of the issues bad reception?

I ask because I decided this afternoon to get rid of my Essential because I was tired of the very inconsistent performance I was getting from my phone which I attributed to poor reception. I am with MetroPCS. Other issues I can deal with or tolerate but bad reception practically renders my phone useless.

Looking at your post, I am wondering if I should wait for the Oreo update before I dump it.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Could you please elaborate on the issues you had with your phone which now runs well on beta 3? Specifically, was one of the issues bad reception?

I ask because I decided this afternoon to get rid of my Essential because I was tired of the very inconsistent performance I was getting from my phone which I attributed to poor reception. I am with MetroPCS. Other issues I can deal with or tolerate but bad reception practically renders my phone useless.

Looking at your post, I am wondering if I should wait for the Oreo update before I dump it.
When I was on Nougat my phone had the slow scrolling issue, various micro lags and BT audio randomly stopping. Haven't had reception issues on Nougat or any of the beta builds. It's been about the same as on my OnePlus 3T and Nexus 6P. Reception is usually just ok where I live but never bad enough to drop calls or kill battery life.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The Essential looks and feels amazing, but it isn't reliable. For some, it's poor cell signal. For others, it's the camera. And yet for others, it's missed touches or forced reboots. The point is this phone just seems a bit half baked in comparison to any other flagship.

I think this is an issue, as well. Despite the fact the price has dropped, many here bought the phone at $700 and still judge the phone based on other flagships. The phone, particularly the camera, does not perform at a $700 level, but I believe (with the updates) it is a solid $500 phone. I also suspect we will continue to see improvements with software updates.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think this is an issue, as well. Despite the fact the price has dropped, many here bought the phone at $700 and still judge the phone based on other flagships. The phone, particularly the camera, does not perform at a $700 level, but I believe (with the updates) it is a solid $500 phone. I also suspect we will continue to see improvements with software updates.

I mean, I guess it's worth $250 or so, but my Moto E4+ is more reliable.

antomic

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
When I was on Nougat my phone had the slow scrolling issue, various micro lags and BT audio randomly stopping. Haven't had reception issues on Nougat or any of the beta builds. It's been about the same as on my OnePlus 3T and Nexus 6P. Reception is usually just ok where I live but never bad enough to drop calls or kill battery life.

Thank you, SactoKingsFan. Since you did not have reception issues, it looks like I will probably stick with my decision to get rid of the phone. Too bad, I like the phone otherwise.

lazagna

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
If they are smart they will move to a 2-year cycle instead of 1-year cycle. There is simply no need to release a new device every year for any brand other than the top 3-4 manufacturers, and even there it is pointless, only done because of marketing reasons. LG has finally figured this out and they are, despite all their woes still much bigger. Others should follow suit.

I think ALL phone manufacturers should move to a 2 year cycle.

anon(10268214)

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Did some of you actually expect to buy a phone from an upstart company and be free of any issues?

I had to return my first one (battery overheat, slow gps, no earpiece grille). Brand new replacement unit is working like a champ. My only gripe is that my carrier (Telus) is slow pushing out system updates. Otherwise this is best phone I've owned for a while. Pure Android free of bloat with regular updates along with excellent hardware, design, and build quality.

Looking forward to Oreo!

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I mean, I guess it's worth $250 or so, but my Moto E4+ is more reliable.

I have to wonder if, particularly when the phone was first released, if there were build quality issues. It just seems like most of us, who did not purchase immediately after release, are not having the same issues that some early adopters have had. I've not seen any reliability issues with my Essential. The only real "issue" with the phone is the camera, with an app that still desperately needs fixing.

From my experience, the Essential seems to be a solid phone for $500 -- particularly with how they keep rolling out updates.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, $500 seems like a reasonable price. Got my pure white for $400 but I'd pay $500+. My black moon had hardware and software issues. Then my first pure white had defective NFC. Now the second pure white is a very reliable phone with everything working on latest beta and no cosmetic defects.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci