Any telus users direct me on this? Are you getting updates directly from essential, or do you have to wait for telus to approve them?
    Andre B likes this.
    01-22-2018 05:06 AM
    Any telus users direct me on this? Are you getting updates directly from essential, or do you have to wait for telus to approve them?
    If you want to get updates directly from Essential you will have to pull out your SIM card before you check for updates, otherwise you will be waiting for Telus approval. Luckily this is easy to do.

A better way of saying it would be that Telus SIM will not limit you to Telus only updates as long as you just temporarily take the SIM out.
    sasdiscute likes this.
    01-22-2018 11:06 AM
    Thanks. At least it's an easy work around. Most phones which are locked to telus cannot get the updates at all!
    01-22-2018 01:33 PM
    Thanks. At least it's an easy work around. Most phones which are locked to telus cannot get the updates at all!
    You're welcome. Nothing to worry about. Essential is also, and always was, factory unlocked, even from Telus. At $460 + tax it is an amazing deal right now. I'm getting a second one actually
    01-22-2018 02:05 PM
    You can also sideload the Oreo beta3 from Essential's developer page. That's what I did after I got sick of waiting for Telus to push out the latest patch from Essential. Works great too!

Thanks for the tip about the simcard. Are you guys sure all you have to do is pull the sim to receive the OTA update? That sounds way too easy. Isn't the device still locked to Telus and therefore bound to their update process?
    01-25-2018 10:27 PM
    Hi, I got mine from Telus yesterday. The phone is unlocked and I'm with Rogers. How can I get Oreo other then sideloading it?
    01-25-2018 10:56 PM
    Hi, I got mine from Telus yesterday. The phone is unlocked and I'm with Rogers. How can I get Oreo other then sideloading it?
    Wait for official Oreo OTA.
    01-26-2018 12:17 AM