From Note 8 to PH1

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Just powered it up and put the SIM card in. Will let you guys know how it goes. Loving the stock Android experience, haptic feedback and one-handed usability thus far.

Working out a few things such as screen casting videos and such but I think I can figure it out. How is everyone sideloading the pixel2 cam?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Just download the modified camera app apk, enable unknown sources if necessary and install. You need to change some device settings in app for HDR to work. Pixel 2Xl for device and Nexus 6 for HDR works. Doesn't work with monochrome camera.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean “pixelation”?

The top left of the screen has a blur thatvwont go away despite my resetting the device. There's also screen burn on the bottom right and three small dots that remain the same color no matter what page or screen I'm on when using the device. Pretty upsetting as I was really looking forward to giving the phone a fair shot. Might just have it swapped out for a replacement and try this again.

Last edited:

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The top left of the screen has a blur thatvwont go away despite my resetting the device. There's also screen burn on the bottom right and three small dots that remain the same color no matter what page or screen I'm on when using the device. Pretty upsetting as I was really looking forward to giving the phone a fair shot. Might just have it swapped out for a replacement and try this again.
Blur is not normal. Screen burn is not possible on this device as it is LED, not OLED. Sounds like you have some dead pixels. I would swap it and try again. I just got my second Essential device (4th overall since launch), and while one had the cloth grille hole issue, the other 3 have been perfect.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Blur is not normal. Screen burn is not possible on this device as it is LED, not OLED. Sounds like you have some dead pixels. I would swap it and try again. I just got my second Essential device (4th overall since launch), and while one had the cloth grille hole issue, the other 3 have been perfect.

Why go through so many?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Why go through so many?

First one I bought and exchanged because of the defective grille. I then had performance issues with Nougat and Oreo was not yet released so I ended up returning the phone all together. After the phone got discounted again, I decided to buy it again and this time I decided to keep it. Oreo resolved my software issues. In fact, I liked the phone so much this time around I decided to buy one more as a spare.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, something about this phone is intriguing to me. At the same time I'm having a hard time leaving my G6 because it's just been so solid.

What made you leave the Note 8 dmateo?

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
I have to admit, something about this phone is intriguing to me. At the same time I'm having a hard time leaving my G6 because it's just been so solid.

I still haven't left it yet but quIte frankly I miss the stock Android experience I had with previous nexus devices. The essential phone is somewhat of an underdog in the smartphone world so I wanted to give it a fair chance, especially because of Andy Rubin's involvement with it. I returned the PH1 after noticing the dead pixels and blur that wouldn't go away on the top left of the screen. It was also verry laggy. Bit the bullet and ordered a pixel 2xl this morning. I hope the next essential phone is less glitchy as I really wanted to love that device and I keep telling myself that it was simply a lemon and to try at it once more. Will probably be giving my N8 to my father.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

As soon as my PH-1 is related from Sprint jail, my LG G6 goes on Swappa.
There are some things I like about the G6. Mostly the microSD.

But the build of the PH-1 is just sexy compared to the LG.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
just got my second essential last night and had a cluster of dead pixels on the lower left corner again! I just can't seem to get lucky with a decent one...

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
just got my second essential last night and had a cluster of dead pixels on the lower left corner again! I just can't seem to get lucky with a decent one...
My first two had issues but nothing as bad as dead pixels. The third phone has no defects. Where did you purchase the phone from?

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
My first two had issues but nothing as bad as dead pixels. The third phone has no defects. Where did you purchase the phone from?

Amazon... I was thinking of going for one directly from essential at this point or just giving up. I'm currently undecided between keeping my note 8, switching to a panda pixel 2xl which arrives tomorrow or going for the essential phone.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Amazon... I was thinking of going for one directly from essential at this point or just giving up. I'm currently undecided between keeping my note 8, switching to a panda pixel 2xl which arrives tomorrow or going for the essential phone.
It's possible Amazon is still selling some phones from earlier stock which had known quality control issues. I ordered the pure white from Amazon to get the new speaker grill material and hopefully avoid earlier quality control problems.

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
just got number 3 today from amazon... let's hope for the best!!! putting my sim in for the week. pixel 2xl arrives tomorrow, wish I had ordered a case for the essential but it'll mostly spend it's time in my suit jacket pocket so it'll be fine

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
so far so good... still can't tell if it has the cloth or mesh though. it looks like mesh in there I can't see cloth

dmateo

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm having trouble pairing to my bose qc35 and that is definitely a deal breaker for me... will try again later