p2xl vs essential

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
If price weren't an issue, which would you choose and why?
Price no issue, go with the one that is water resistant. I bought my PH1 on 11/26 , the water thing is going to come up.
Also, do you like to shop for accessories for your phone, not much available (including OtterBox) for the Essential.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Price no issue, go with the one that is water resistant. I bought my PH1 on 11/26 , the water thing is going to come up.
Also, do you like to shop for accessories for your phone, not much available (including OtterBox) for the Essential.
The PH-1 is water resistant with IP54 rating.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I think there's a YouTube video somewhere showing essential water resistance

Depends what you value in a phone. The Essential gives you a big screen in a relatively small form factor and a gorgeous build and look. The Pixel 2 XL should provide significantly better camera and performance.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
The real premium over essential is the camera imo

But that is only a value proposition if the camera is a deal breaker.
I think the XL is over priced, but that is my humble opinion.

The camera isn't/wasn't a deal breaker for me because I own real cameras with real glass.
I phone camera is never going to compete with my APS-C cameras with real glass.
Phone cameras just aren't that good.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I would never consider the essential with its terrible cameras. I don't care how much it supposedly got better with software updates, the fact that the company put out a device with such a subpar camera was just dumb, IMO. P2XL is the only option here.

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I would never consider the essential with its terrible cameras. I don't care how much it supposedly got better with software updates, the fact that the company put out a device with such a subpar camera was just dumb, IMO. P2XL is the only option here.
Isn't it a bad app or software that drives the camera, not the hardware itself?

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The camera isn't/wasn't a deal breaker for me because I own real cameras with real glass.

But that is only a value proposition if the camera is a deal breaker.

The key question for a lot of us is which camera are you actually going to have with you. I used to think that since no phone camera is going to compete with my regular camera, who cares. But the reality is that my phone is the camera I have with me all the time. My digital camera enable be to take more pictures than my film camera, but the phone kicked that up by an order of magnitude.

For people who just want to be able to take good pictures consistently with the camera they have with them, the Essential is a non-starter. There are other phones that I would consider - maybe not as good as the Pixel 2, but still worth considering.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Isn't it a bad app or software that drives the camera, not the hardware itself?

It seems that it's a bit of both. The hardware just isn't that good. So, software upgrades will help, but the hardware doesn't seem to have the wherewithal to be a really great camera.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Essential phone, I hate the design of the pixel. To me it's an ugly brick, camera has never been a selling point for me. Water resistance is also not a priority. It's a nice security blanket but it still doesn't guarantee that your phone won't be damaged by water. Which no manufacturer will cover in a warranty. Build quality and software are what I look at. Essential is very good about getting the latest updates and that build quality is unmatched.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 2XL... I mean, Essential may not even be around in a year. 88K phones sold since release... Gotta skip 8.0 cause they couldn't get it straightened out even though Essential runs "stock" Android..

Too many unknowns, for my taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz