Essential still having T-MO issues?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I'm interested in trying out an Essential phone but so far have been put off by the issues some T-Mobile users have been experiencing. I've been looking around the net and haven't seen any evidence that the issues have been rectified as of yet.

Are the problems still ongoing or have they been addressed?

I'm not convinced I won't go back to Verizon at some point. I'm still trying to give T-Mo a fair shake but rural coverage *may* force to to go back.

I understand the phone is fine on Verizon but don't want to get stuck with it if it's struggling on T-Mo and I don't switch back

Thanks in advance.

msr360

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
From what I've read in various sites, androidcentral, xda and reddit it's a hit and miss. I have the essential phone as my secondary one, and the signal jumps like crazy up and down. Comparing to the Pixel 2 which holds a very strong signal, I don't get it. The pixel is set to LTE as a preferred network and is using the default APN settings. I matched it up to the Essential Phone exactly, but the signal is always bouncing up and down. Like I said, it's my secondary phone so I don't know if it's just a bug in displaying the signal strength or not. I plan to switch over soon as my primarily for a little bit and will report again.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read in various sites, androidcentral, xda and reddit it's a hit and miss. I have the essential phone as my secondary one, and the signal jumps like crazy up and down. Comparing to the Pixel 2 which holds a very strong signal, I don't get it. The pixel is set to LTE as a preferred network and is using the default APN settings. I matched it up to the Essential Phone exactly, but the signal is always bouncing up and down. Like I said, it's my secondary phone so I don't know if it's just a bug in displaying the signal strength or not. I plan to switch over soon as my primarily for a little bit and will report again.
Thanks for that detailed reply. Your experience sort of backs up what I've been reading as well. The reason I posted here was I was hoping to get some more recent real world info.

I really like the Essential phone but may have to hold off for a bit. While I'm happy with T-Mo overall, their rural coverage can be shaky and that matters to me. I'f I return to Verizon I may revisit the Essential again.

Thanks.

bwhick7492

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I use the essential phone on T-Mobile for over 2 months and did not have one single problem. My reception was as good or better than any phone I've had so far and I never dropped calls with the exception of one time going through a tunnel.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use the essential phone on T-Mobile for over 2 months and did not have one single problem. My reception was as good or better than any phone I've had so far and I never dropped calls with the exception of one time going through a tunnel.
It does seem like the issue is hit and miss. Still not sure what to make of it. Thanks for the reply.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I use Ting as my supplier of TMO. Living in the Milwaukee area, I don't have any issues. You've mentioned problems in rural areas. I do know from previous experience, TMO is not the best provider outside metro areas. Towers are usually found only along major highways. Even then, while driving across flyover country, I didn't have connection along the interstate. Sprint was slightly better (Also offered by Ting) but not much. If you really have to have rural connectivity, I would say your best bet would be to go with Verison. They do have the most extensive network.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I use Ting as my supplier of TMO. Living in the Milwaukee area, I don't have any issues. You've mentioned problems in rural areas. I do know from previous experience, TMO is not the best provider outside metro areas. Towers are usually found only along major highways. Even then, while driving across flyover country, I didn't have connection along the interstate. Sprint was slightly better (Also offered by Ting) but not much. If you really have to have rural connectivity, I would say your best bet would be to go with Verison. They do have the most extensive network.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having a terrible time as of yet with T-Mo, just some limited coverage issues. To be fair, I had issues (as in no signal) with Verizon in a few spots as well. I'll know better once spring gets here and I get back out on my motorcycle. I tend to ride in rural areas due to the tighter roads and reduced traffic and obviously having cell coverage would be a good thing.

I suppose I'll just hold off on the Essential until I can make a determination on which carrier I will go with. If I go back to Verizon I don't imagine I will ever try another carrier as T-Mo was the only one I hadn't tried until now. I am happy with T-Mo overall though. Rural coverage is the only problem.

I find Verizon's network is congested and slow, at least around here.

This is the beauty of being on an unlocked device on a prepaid plan though. Freedom of movement.

Thanks again.

Roosterman

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This is the beauty of being on an unlocked device on a prepaid plan though. Freedom of movement.

Thanks again.

Good luck! Ting is a pay as you go and pay for what you use carrier. It is a reseller of cellular service. They have both Sprint and TMO. There's a fancy acronym for these companies which I can't remember right now. I was previously on an no limit plan with Sprint. By switching over, I've cut my wife and my cell phone bill by half and more. There are no contracts and you can switch to others at anytime you wish. Might be worth checking them out.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was on a prepaid Verizon plan before I switched to a T-Mo prepaid plan. While you may miss out on a few features I've found prepaid to my liking due to the ability to just change carriers in a few minutes. I'll take a look at Ting but around here Sprint has the worst coverage of the four carriers.

Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet