04-24-2018 08:08 PM
66 123
tools
    I like to try lots of devices and so far this is the only one I have kept. It's just a good solid all around device. My latest venture was the galaxy s9 plus which is frankly an apple style upgrade for Samsung. I have the s8 plus which is updated to the same software and there is really no difference between the 2 phones that is worthy of an upgrade. I had it for 24 hours before I returned it, it felt exactly like using my s8+.
    04-08-2018 01:44 PM
    I like to try lots of devices and so far this is the only one I have kept. It's just a good solid all around device. My latest venture was the galaxy s9 plus which is frankly an apple style upgrade for Samsung. I have the s8 plus which is updated to the same software and there is really no difference between the 2 phones that is worthy of an upgrade. I had it for 24 hours before I returned it, it felt exactly like using my s8+.
    Did they get all the issues resolved with the essential phone (camera, et al.)?
    04-08-2018 02:38 PM
    Most of the issues like jittery scrolling, no full screen video and dead zone on the edge of screen have been fixed. The camera has improved a lot. I can get consistently good to great results with the monochrome camera but the color camera can struggle with low light conditions.
    04-08-2018 05:43 PM
    I don't care about the camera so that has never been an issue for me. Software wise it just keeps getting smoother and smoother. Today learned that you can use substratum to theme this phone as well. An all dark ui makes this phone even better, and you don't have to root the device!!!!
    04-08-2018 06:57 PM
    Most of the issues like jittery scrolling, no full screen video and dead zone on the edge of screen have been fixed. The camera has improved a lot. I can get consistently good to great results with the monochrome camera but the color camera can struggle with low light conditions.
    That sounds pretty darn good then.
    04-08-2018 06:58 PM
    That sounds pretty darn good then.
    Fancy seeing you here, tired of the S9 already?

I bought my Essential back during the Sprint sale, and really only bought it because it was about $140 with the 360 camera. The phone has improved a lot since the end of November, and the camera is greatly improved. Unfortunately, I don't use it enough because of my other "toys" but I do love the phone.
    04-08-2018 10:28 PM

I bought my Essential back during the Sprint sale, and really only bought it because it was about $140 with the 360 camera. The phone has improved a lot since the end of November, and the camera is greatly improved. Unfortunately, I don't use it enough because of my other "toys" but I do love the phone.
    I have never gotten rid of it. I just keep trying other phones and eventually just reactivate it and use it again. Wasnt really impressed with the s9+ it's a very minimal upgrade straight out of the book of Apple in my opinion. Samsung fan boys are just like Apple fan boys the smallest upgrade is always a huge game changer hahaha
    04-09-2018 03:48 PM
    QC was definitely an issue when I had my essential (went through 4 devices) and it has horrible reception on TMO in NYC. Had it not been for that I still would've had one and not this S9 (which I'm also enjoying).
    04-09-2018 08:47 PM
    I think they should do an Essential+ with a 6" screen. A lot of people just like larger screen (myself included) and they're losing all them customers. I really liked the feel of Essential but it wasn't even a consideration because of size.

Back on topic though. I don't see why going back to this phone would be a bad thing. Send like a good phone at a good price.
    04-09-2018 10:41 PM

Heck no. I love my S9 and my Note 8. ...and other lesser toys.
    04-10-2018 12:26 AM
    QC was definitely an issue when I had my essential (went through 4 devices) and it has horrible reception on TMO in NYC. Had it not been for that I still would've had one and not this S9 (which I'm also enjoying).
    Does ANY phone have good reception in NYC? lol I always have trouble there with my phones. T-Mobile BUT also Verizon when I had them.
    04-10-2018 09:52 AM
    Does ANY phone have good reception in NYC? lol I always have trouble there with my phones. T-Mobile BUT also Verizon when I had them.
    I get service in the subway underground with my s9 as well as with my note 8 and key one black edition prior to the s9. T-Mobile is great so long as the device has a strong enough antenna.
    04-10-2018 10:17 AM
    I went from the Blackberry Priv to the Essential Phone ans the only two things Is the SD card and the typing is difficult the screen is smaller and prediction words on Blackberry is very Nice. But I love the Essential Phone it's fast and there is no blabla with pur Android!!
    04-10-2018 12:28 PM
    I get service in the subway underground with my s9 as well as with my note 8 and key one black edition prior to the s9. T-Mobile is great so long as the device has a strong enough antenna.
    Samsung phones have THE best antennas! BUT NYC is still tough there's so much network traffic and saturation.
    04-10-2018 03:51 PM
    I went from the Blackberry Priv to the Essential Phone ans the only two things Is the SD card and the typing is difficult the screen is smaller and prediction words on Blackberry is very Nice. But I love the Essential Phone it's fast and there is no blabla with pur Android!!
    Same here, don't really loose too much screen size and if you install the Blackberry keyboard, you get the great prediction back! 128gb of internal storage does not make me miss the SD slot. Been using for two months now and it has yet to overheat and throttle. I do miss the handwarmer PRIV on a cold day however lol.
    04-11-2018 12:40 AM
    camera is still trash
    04-11-2018 07:51 AM
    Keep coming back! It works if you work it!
    04-11-2018 12:52 PM
    You can load BlackBerry keyboard on this phone to make it feel more like your old Priv
    04-12-2018 03:14 PM
    camera is still trash
    That's too bad.
    04-13-2018 02:25 AM
    camera is still trash
    Not having the requirement of professional level optics, I'm fine with the camera functionality and results.
    04-13-2018 09:41 AM
    Not having the requirement of professional level optics, I'm fine with the camera functionality and results.
    I definitely don't need professional level results but I do require my phone's camera to provide highly competitive photos when compared with contemporary mid-to-high-end phones. That's all I need.
    04-13-2018 12:07 PM
    Side loading a pixel camera greatly solves the camera issue
    04-13-2018 12:43 PM
    I really like the phone.
    I came from a Nexus 6P to the Essential right after release.
    I sent is back and got a LG G6 and used it for a while.
    I missed the Essential and bought it again on the Sprint sale in Dec.
    I use it as a daily driver and haven't looked back.
    I like the 360 camera. The regular camera suits me fine.
    For a phone, it's usually I get a photo or not.
    I have a good camera with me 90% of the time.
    I keep my NX300 with me because it's mirrorless and fits in a backpack.
    When I'm going out to take real pictures I lug a Canon 7D or 7D-II with good glass.
    The essential is solid for me.
    The camera is never a deal breaker for me on a phone.
    Software, screen size, performance? All of those things.
    04-13-2018 01:18 PM
    I'm not getting why people still think the camera is "trash". do they even have the phone? compared to my V20 this thing takes awesome pictures.
    04-13-2018 01:50 PM
    I'm not getting why people still think the camera is "trash". do they even have the phone? compared to my V20 this thing takes awesome pictures.
    If you still have the V20 perhaps you could share some comparative photos.
    04-13-2018 02:15 PM
66 123