Essential Products Inc. cancels next smartphone, is up for sale

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...hone-maker-essential-is-said-to-consider-sale

Essential Products Inc., a startup co-founded by Android creator Andy Rubin that launched last year to great fanfare, is considering selling itself and has canceled development of a new smartphone, according to people familiar with the matter.

The company had been working on a new model, but has since canceled development of the device. It has shifted engineers and other resources to an upcoming smart-home product, which is on track for release by next year, the people said.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Was there any other avenue? The phone bombed. It was a disaster of epic proportions as far as sales go and the launch was, let's face it, botched so badly it'll go down in history. Without a Verizon or AT&T behind them they were finished before they even began.

I wish mine hadn't been destroyed here in China (bad motorbike accident) as I really disliked going back to the huge iPhone 6S+ (that I thankfully still had on hand). Maybe I'll be able to get another PH-1 for a song since this news will result in many dumping the product. Expect a fire sale. I really could use a "spare" phone for travel and the Essential is perfect for that task.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I waited for Oreo 8.1 and love PH1. Sad. Was really hoping the 2.0 this fall and others jumped on board. Even now great phone. Rarely touch my iPhone X anymore.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I still enjoy my Essential phone. This is sucky news, but not a complete surprise unfortunately. Great first product. I know it had issues, but, for a first build, it was great.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
A quote from Andy

"We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products."

Where does that say the company is being sold or that the PH-2 was canceled?

I thought the same thing but then i read it a few times and it started to read like a "we didn't want this to get out yet so I'll do some damage control" type of response.

I'll hold out hope but it doesn't look good. The mobile phone industry is tough to break into and yeah they made some mistakes but they could have easily leaned from them and kept going.

He must have known it would be an uphill battle so to see them throw in the towel so soon is disheartening.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Owning the PH-1 was interesting and I don't regret buying the phone but it's time to move on to another phone. Loved the build and overall feel of the phone, especially the Halo Gray.

FYI: Those that purchased on Amazon can get most of the money refunded even if it's been well over 30 days.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Being an early adopter, I really love my essential phone. The essential 2 was going to be the only phone to keep me on the android platform. I have no interest in buying a pixel ever, I absolutely hate all the stupid *** bloatware that comes on every other android device. If there is one thing apple did right it was to not let the carriers control anything about the device other than network requirements. That is why I loved the essential phone, they didnt allow all the bull**** apps and baked in services. That is probably what hurt them the most, and why the top 2 carriers in the unites states didnt deal with them. They were not going to be granted access to the software to allow them to modify it.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
A quote from Andy

"We always have multiple products in development at the same time and we embrace canceling some in favor of the ones we think will be bigger hits. We are putting all of our efforts towards our future, game-changing products, which include mobile and home products."

Where does that say the company is being sold or that the PH-2 was canceled?

Ever heard of PR talk?

You and I both know if there was a more solid plan to keep going he would have had a far specified and solid statement than that.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Being an early adopter, I really love my essential phone. The essential 2 was going to be the only phone to keep me on the android platform. I have no interest in buying a pixel ever, I absolutely hate all the stupid *** bloatware that comes on every other android device. If there is one thing apple did right it was to not let the carriers control anything about the device other than network requirements. That is why I loved the essential phone, they didnt allow all the bull**** apps and baked in services. That is probably what hurt them the most, and why the top 2 carriers in the unites states didnt deal with them. They were not going to be granted access to the software to allow them to modify it.

There's other options for Android phones without carrier bloatware like the non Verizon Pixel 2/XL, OnePlus, Nokia, etc.

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I currently have both an Essential Phone and a Pixel 2 XL, and they are equally bloat free. Hands down, the P2XL is the better phone in every single way, even though I really love my EP. So, if you were waiting on a second gen Essential Phone, you might want to reconsider the Pixel 2 line.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Well my carrier is sprint, I am restricted to CDMA devices unless the tmobile merger happens. I have no interest in big *** phones anymore the pixel xl 2 is out of the question. I hate the design of the smaller pixel. After using the PH-1 and iPhone X, I have zero interest in any other phone design and size. I will definitely keep my eye on the pixel 3 when it comes out. I hope they redesign the smaller one and give it that nice near bezel-less screen.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
for lack of better words, this sucks.... i was looking forward to seeing what they could do 2nd gen with the kinks worked out.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'd been planning on keeping a close eye on the Essential Phone 2, as I had wanted it as one of my options for a future phone. Too bad, indeed.

BOSCHETT

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
I really like my Essential phone. I wonder what if anything will happen to the extended warranty. I got it and just received a new unit after dropping it and cracking and scratching the screen. It's a 2 year warranty that for me would be good for another 16 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith