Essential Releasing Official Android 9 Pie Today

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
And the winner is:

Got the Pie update on my Essential, but still waiting on the Pixel XL OTA update to the final version. The Essential is on Mint Mobile and the Pixel XL is on T-Mobile.

Gayle Lynn:
You have the option to use/not use gestures on the Android 9 Pie update, but NOT on the Pixel 3 devices. There will no option to use the "old" navigation system.

Slipthejab

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Not sure I'm a big fan of android pie. I miss the 3 software buttons down bottom and it feels too iPhone-ish to me now.

Initial impressions aren't great but I'll give it time.

Pros:

- obviously the punctuality of the update - kudos to essential.
- I guess mildly better performance? Based on slightly higher benchmark scores.
- New volume control layout on the right and vertically is very functional and practical.
- Notifications seem to have a few more options.

Cons:

- Don't like the iPhone similarities of the UI.
- Can't swipe up anywhere on a home screen to bring up app drawer like before. Now have to do it from the bottom it seems. Anyone know if this can be changed?
- They've taken a step back with the way split screen now is handled IMO. Preferred the old way and I use it a lot.

Overall, with my very limited <24 hrs use, I'd give a 5.5/10. Obviously need to give it a good run and hope it gets better with perhaps a 9.1 update?

Either way, well done to essential for being so speedy with the software update!!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not sure I'm a big fan of android pie. I miss the 3 software buttons down bottom and it feels too iPhone-ish to me now.

Initial impressions aren't great but I'll give it time.

Pros:

- obviously the punctuality of the update - kudos to essential.
- I guess mildly better performance? Based on slightly higher benchmark scores.
- New volume control layout on the right and vertically is very functional and practical.
- Notifications seem to have a few more options.

Cons:

- Don't like the iPhone similarities of the UI.
- Can't swipe up anywhere on a home screen to bring up app drawer like before. Now have to do it from the bottom it seems. Anyone know if this can be changed?
- They've taken a step back with the way split screen now is handled IMO. Preferred the old way and I use it a lot.

Overall, with my very limited <24 hrs use, I'd give a 5.5/10. Obviously need to give it a good run and hope it gets better with perhaps a 9.1 update?

Either way, well done to essential for being so speedy with the software update!!

You should be able to change the gesture settings to swipe from home screen. I can't confirm because I have a Pixel but they should work the same. It will also bring back the navigation buttons.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Like I said, the brightness thing on 9.0 is what gets to me the most. On 8.1, the brightness on both of my Essentials was set to 25% which to me was still plenty bright. On 9.0, I have my brightness set to 50% which is close, but still a little less bright, than the 25% setting on 8.1. My only concern is what this does for battery life in regards to what it was on 8.1 which was nothing short of stellar.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I went to bed waiting for P. So much for 60Mbps Wi-Fi. Also AT&T sim card, Amazon unlocked, show Sprint in system apps. PSX_20180807_151529.jpg

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I've updated to the latest release and it's still on July 5, 2018 security patch

This is a known issue. Essential reported on Twitter that in their haste to roll out Android 9 Pie on the first day, they forgot to update the Security Patch release date. The patch is the August 05, 2018 code, but the date is wrong. They said the date would be corrected in a future update.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this, my brightness needs it be at 90% to be at the same level as it was with Oreo. That sucks.
Like I said, the brightness thing on 9.0 is what gets to me the most. On 8.1, the brightness on both of my Essentials was set to 25% which to me was still plenty bright. On 9.0, I have my brightness set to 50% which is close, but still a little less bright, than the 25% setting on 8.1. My only concern is what this does for battery life in regards to what it was on 8.1 which was nothing short of stellar.

ms1966

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I was in the Beta with my Pixel, but jumped on Essential when Amazon ran the $250 deal on Prime day. I love it so far. My only let down was that getting on the P beta wasn't as simple as with my Pixel. As I was trying to puzzle out how to do it the final release pops up! Great job. Have we heard when we might get on the newest security patch? Although I love the new Pie I know I want the best security as well.

anon(9533742)

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I like pie, pecan is my favorite, but android is right up there. The buttons changing is a easy transition, but nice to see they give you the option for the previous nav.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed this, my brightness needs it be at 90% to be at the same level as it was with Oreo. That sucks.
So far, it doesn't seem to be draining the battery as one would think by essentially doubling the brightness setting.

Still though 25% on 8.1 equals about 60% on 9.0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude