Essential Releasing Official Android 9 Pie Today

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Unbelievable! I was just wondering if we'd be getting the Aug security update today, and voila! Downloading right now 👍

Last edited:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Like always, nothing on Sprint...

I'd say that I got the final release today on Sprint, but I was running the beta -- so I did get the update but not the Sprint build.

Looking at the Essential website, it appears the Sprint build is not yet available -- the still show Oreo 8.1 with the July security patch as the current build. If you want Oreo, you could always sideload the OTA version of Pie from Essentials website (linked above). This will put you on the non-Sprint build, so you don't have to wait for Sprint to "approve" of updates.

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Downloaded on both of my Essentials.

There's little things used in 8.1 that are missing that I used every day. Such as, if I have an alarm set, I can pull down the notification panel/quick settings tray/whatever it's called and see the alarm there and tap it and be brought to the alarms page in the clock app. That's gone in P. Also, I keep my display brightness set at 25% which is plenty bright for me. Now in P, I have to crank that up to 40-50% to achieve the same brightness as 25% was on 8.1. I have and always have had adaptive brightness off. Also going back to alarms, if I have an alarm set, it does not show on the lockscreen or on the ambient display like it did in 8.1.

Things that are bunk in my eyes so far: Clock on left side is just screaming iPhone X and doesn't need to be there. Greenish icons in quick settings looks like an afterthought. Blue was much more appealing and fit in more with the overall theme of things. Notch settings, are they gone or am I missing something?

I'm sure there's more but this is just after playing with it for 30 or so minutes.

Perhaps usage over time and I'll get used to stuff.

Device seems more fluid and faster even though it was fast beforehand.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I just want August security, and wait for Pur 9.1 - with fixes, final features, and maybe an improved notifications, maybe launcher.

Not enamoured of iOS 11 and swiping. I like Oreo status and notifications and really don't like the direction UI is going with Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21