08-09-2011 06:11 PM
343 123 ...
tools
    Help a touchscreen newbie out... there seems to be a handful of "screen protector" companies in the marketplace (some haven't been announced for the EVO yet, but I'd imagine they will be). Which brand is generally considered the best?

Zagg's invisibleSHIELD seems to be the "most searched" option.

I'm looking for something that doesn't smudge (fingerprints), if possible - I know that's probably not feasible, but some brands might be better than others??

Thanks for any help!
    05-13-2010 09:47 AM
    I personally dislike screen protectors. Just be more careful with the device. The anti-glare protectors that don't smudge make the screen fuzzy and a crystal clear protector will smudge more so than the screen being naked. As for Zagg products I've never been a fan. Nothing beats a good case...
    05-13-2010 10:44 AM
    Nothing beats a good case...
    What case would you recommend?
    05-13-2010 10:50 AM
    What case would you recommend?
    I prefer pouch cases. Hard cases tend to scratch the body of the phone instead of protecting it. I like Sena cases personally. Good quality cases for decent prices.
    Brainerd and mayflower like this.
    05-13-2010 10:52 AM
    05-13-2010 01:00 PM
    I swear by it: ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | HTC EVO 4G Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

It is difficult to even intentionaly damage this one.
    It's not going to prevent a cracked screen if you drop the device. Scratches, sure but nothing more.
    05-13-2010 01:03 PM
    I tend to use cases AND screen shields...

Holdover habit from my Palm days...
    mayflower and Writermind like this.
    05-13-2010 01:04 PM
    I tend to use cases AND screen shields...

Holdover habit from my Palm days...
    Back then I can understand it. I even used them on my Palm devices. Now with glass screens it's much more difficult to scratch the screens.
    mayflower likes this.
    05-13-2010 01:07 PM
    I currently have the Pre and it has all kinds of micro scratches on it. Is a glass screen really that much harder to scratch? I was considering getting an invisashield installed on day 1.
    mayflower likes this.
    05-13-2010 02:00 PM
    I've used Invisible Shield screen protectors on several devices. So I feel that I can form a solid opinion as to why I do not like Invisible Shield type protectors. They are very tacky to the touch, almost slowing your finger down while swiping. Also even though they do a great job protecting the screen underneath the shield itself scratches easily. Installation also isn't the best experience.

Again my opinion.

I've recently discovered Clarivue protectors. They have a smooth glass-like feel and so far don't seem to scratch like the Invisible Shield protectors do. Application is also much easier given you don't need a solution.
    mayflower likes this.
    05-13-2010 02:22 PM
    I always use Boxwave. It is not one of those water applied protectors. I am using Boxwave on my Pre. I have used it on all my devices for the last few years and it is great.

got to

BoxWave Accessories - iPhone, Blackberry, Treo, HTC Cases, Batteries, Chargers & More

Of course they don't have it yet, but they will. Just ask around about Boxwave.
    05-13-2010 03:40 PM
    I have found with my Hero there is no need for a protector. The glass looks as clean as the day I got it. I carry it in my pocket with no case. Never seen it get scratched. They way I feel is that if something is going to scratch the glass, it is most likely the result of a drop and it hitting something. In that case I would expect the glass to crack and break regardless of a protector or not.
    05-13-2010 04:08 PM
    I've used Invisible Shield screen protectors on several devices. So I feel that I can form a solid opinion as to why I do not like Invisible Shield type protectors. They are very tacky to the touch, almost slowing your finger down while swiping. Also even though they do a great job protecting the screen underneath the shield itself scratches easily. Installation also isn't the best experience.

Again my opinion.

I've recently discovered Clarivue protectors. They have a smooth glass-like feel and so far don't seem to scratch like the Invisible Shield protectors do. Application is also much easier given you don't need a solution.
    They are pretty good. I just went ahead and ordered one (HD2 is same size as Evo) so that I can put it on immediately when I get my Evo. They have them on sale right now for $10.99.

HTC Touch HD2 T8585 Screen Protector from Clarivue
    05-13-2010 05:44 PM
    I currently have the Pre and it has all kinds of micro scratches on it. Is a glass screen really that much harder to scratch? I was considering getting an invisashield installed on day 1.
    A glass screen is a lot harder to scratch than a plastic one.
    jedisrus likes this.
    05-13-2010 06:28 PM
    Thanks Jeremy. I think I will just go without the protector.
    05-13-2010 07:01 PM
    They are pretty good. I just went ahead and ordered one (HD2 is same size as Evo) so that I can put it on immediately when I get my Evo. They have them on sale right now for $10.99.

HTC Touch HD2 T8585 Screen Protector from Clarivue
    Yeah I'll definitely want a something on my Evo from day one. Clarivue and other big names will most likely not have those available at launch. Maybe Sprint will have a Sprint-branded protector? I need something as a temp, I never thought about a HD2 protector.
    2120SoMichiganAve likes this.
    05-13-2010 07:08 PM
    I've been using Zagg on my past couple of phones, i had the full body skin on Moto Droid and that was a bit of a hassle to put on being that there are so many pieces. Right now I am using a Zagg screen shield for my Samsung Moment and it's been great. For my next phone I am definitely using a full body skin
    Writermind likes this.
    05-13-2010 09:17 PM
    Thanks Jeremy. I think I will just go without the protector.
    All I would recommend is some iKlear. I could never live without it.
    05-13-2010 10:52 PM
    I currently have a Pre and I had Invisible shield hated the rubbery feel and the went with phantom skinz liked it a lot but in the end just went without. Since going without I have no scratches or damage what so ever, so with that said I will not be wasting my money on skins or cases.
    05-14-2010 03:07 AM
    A screen protector will be unnecessary with the evo, just like it is with the iphone or any other glass-screen phone. And yes, the invisible shield brand feels terrible and rubbery and would ruin the experience of a glass capacitive touch screen.
    05-14-2010 06:50 AM
    I'm not as familiar with the glass screen phones, but I know this was a huge topic of discussion when the Pre came out. Massive threads complete with high res. pictures, comparisons, ease of installation, etc.

Phantomskinz and Best Skins Ever came out as the winners in the reviews. I have tried all three, and I agree with the reviewers on the Phantomskinz. I have dropped my Pre several times and it comes out unscathed each time. It doesn't interfere with the usage of the Pre at all, and has a much smoother surface than the Zagg with much less "orange peel" effect.

What I will probably end up doing is buying the Zagg skin when I get the phone at Best Buy, because that's what they carry, and order the Phantomskinz to replace the Zagg eventually.

The glass on my Q9c did scratch, obviously not as much as a plastic screen would have. I put my phones in my pockets which can sometime also carry other things. Would rather not take any chances even if I'm only keeping the phone a year.
    05-14-2010 10:06 AM
    I currently have a DROID for work but getting EVO for personal use. The DROID does not require a screen protector as it is very scratch resistant.

What about the EVO?
    05-16-2010 02:30 PM
    It's not required. The phone seems to be fairly scratch resistant, but it wouldn't hurt to get one either.
    05-16-2010 02:53 PM
    I'm wondering if a screen protector would affect the functionality of the touchscreen.
    05-16-2010 02:54 PM
    They are usually made with that in mind. Buy a trusted brand and all should be well. I still prefer to keep my phone naked though.
    05-16-2010 02:56 PM
343 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD