Palm Pre Car Charger?

ayman86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i plan on using the palm pre car charger for my evo. ill know when i leave bestbuy with the evo charging in my car on my way to work! :)

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread somewhere that said you should only use an official charger or some nonsense :)
7:40 Friday I'll be plugged into my RocketFish "Palm Pre" charger.
As mentioned all micro-usb chargers should work.

justin_aga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ohh great! i still have my palm pre car charger because it works for my bb tour so it should work for the evo...I think

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because the it plugs in and seems to work doesn't mean you should use it. Each charger has different volts and hz. You need to see if they match for what is recommended for the EVO. You should be able to see once you get the EVO to see if the volts and hz matchup with the Pre or any other device.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It may work but I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm gonna baby the hell outta my EVO, and that includes using an official car charger made specifically for the EVO. But that's just me.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because the it plugs in and seems to work doesn't mean you should use it. Each charger has different volts and hz. You need to see if they match for what is recommended for the EVO. You should be able to see once you get the EVO to see if the volts and hz matchup with the Pre or any other device.

Wow, different volts and hertz, eh? Your explanation "hurts"! ;-)

1) USB (and all of the devices the OP mentioned) all use 5 volt DC. This includes mini-usb, micro-usb, and standard usb a-b cables.
2) Re-read what I just wrote. DC. That stands for direct current. Direct current means, hertz does not apply. Hertz refers to cycles between switching polarity on AC, or Alternating Current. 220v/50hz refers to 200 volts, 50 cycles a second the polarity switches from each wire. The same principle for 110/60hz. This is why your response hurts so bad, it doesn't apply to this scenario--DC has fixed polarity.

Wall power adapters, car adapters, computer USB ports all pump out 5 volts and Direct Current power. 5volts is the standard for USB, and nobody differs from that standard--else why conform to a micro-usb connector if you require a different voltage? The only difference is amperage, 500 miliamps, 1500 miliamps (or 1.5 amps as noted by the OP). This was the issue posed by the OP, and noted by previous posters.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhill000

tkanavy

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Wow, different volts and hertz, eh? Your explanation "hurts"! ;-)

1) USB (and all of the devices the OP mentioned) all use 5 volt DC. This includes mini-usb, micro-usb, and standard usb a-b cables.
2) Re-read what I just wrote. DC. That stands for direct current. Direct current means, hertz does not apply. Hertz refers to cycles between switching polarity on AC, or Alternating Current. 220v/50hz refers to 200 volts, 50 cycles a second the polarity switches from each wire. The same principle for 110/60hz. This is why your response hurts so bad, it doesn't apply to this scenario--DC has fixed polarity.

Wall power adapters, car adapters, computer USB ports all pump out 5 volts and Direct Current power. 5volts is the standard for USB, and nobody differs from that standard--else why conform to a micro-usb connector if you require a different voltage? The only difference is amperage, 500 miliamps, 1500 miliamps (or 1.5 amps as noted by the OP). This was the issue posed by the OP, and noted by previous posters.

Thanks, that was highly educational :) :cool:

shacker2762

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Great to hear that my Pre's wall charger will work. Now I don't have to crawl under my desk at work and plug in the EVO's charger.

Now, can anyone out there get my Palm Touchstone to charge the EVO? :)

richcracker#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
It may work but I don't think I'm alone when I say I'm gonna baby the hell outta my EVO, and that includes using an official car charger made specifically for the EVO. But that's just me.

that's cool, sounds like you have extra $ to throw around...i'll pm you my paypal email address.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the 850 ma Sprint charger with the glowing yellow Sprint thingy. It kept up with my Pre doing Navigation with the screen on the whole time and actually charging the phone while doing so. If I can do the same with the Evo, then I'll be happy. If not, time for a bigger charger.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc