[Review] Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Update: New Exoskeleton design out, dubbed the Innocase Active (not Limited Edition anymore). Look at the end of this first post to see more about it.

Update: Seidio is considering whether they want to offer the Innocase Active exoskeleton in more colors. What do you think? Let us know in the thread.

Update: Seidio is looking into making the Innocase Active work with their Car Dock and Multimedia Player! This is going to be the best case ever.

Update: Amazon is now shipping earlier than expected! Shipping June 15th instead of July 1st I believe.

Hey guys, I've been playing around with my new Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition for a while, and I am have been very impressed by it.

Video Review: YouTube - [Review] Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition for the HTC Evo 4G

For those who don't know, Seidio is widely known for making superb smartphone accessories, and are best known for their cases. They compete with Otterbox, BodyGlove, and others. This new Innocase Active Limited Edition is available exclusively on Amazon.com.

This new Innocase, the Active Limited Edition is made for those who need more rugged protection for their HTC Evo 4G. The main difference between this and the Innocase II Surface is the thickness, material, and feel.

My Innocase II Surface review: Video Review: Seidio Innocase and Ultimate Screen Guard for HTC Evo 4G. Pictures and Video. - Android Forums

Thickness: The Active Limited Edition claims 2.2mm thickness, while the Surface claims 1mm thickness. Having used both, I can definitely tell that there is a big difference between the two. The thickness of the Active Limited Edition is crucial to its ruggedness. I feel like if I dropped my Evo on the floor with this case on, it will bounce right back up.

Material: The Surface is made of felt, hard plastic, and rubberized finish. The Active Limited Edition is made of a rubbery polymer "glove", and a hard plastic exoskeleton that also has a rubberized finish. The rubbery polymer inside piece is flexible and smooth. It will not harm the Evo that's docked inside. It also has grooves for your fingers, so that the phone does not slip out of your hand. Very nice. The exoskeleton strategically covers up the 4 corners and the middle, both protecting your device at its most critical points, and holding the flexible rubber polymer in place. Because of this new "glove" like design, the Active Limited Edition is a bit harder to put on and take off than the Innocase II Surface. Any "push" buttons on the Evo (power and volume) will be covered by the rubber. I actually like this approach more than leaving a gap, since the rubber helps to push against the button. You have to push a bit harder than without the case on, but it doesn't block the buttons from fat fingers, like the Innocase II Surface might.

Feel: The Active Limited Edition feels very professional. People may complain that the build quality of the Innocase II Surface is subpar, because the device moves around a bit inside the case. However this is not the case for the Innocase Active Limited Edition. The rubber polymer that contacts the back of the Evo molds itself to fit the Evo perfectly. No squeaky noises due to the hard plastic. Also, the material is very lightweight, plus the exoskeleton only covers the important parts of the Evo. Thus you end up with a case that does not feel heavier than the Innocase II Surface. I'm not sure which one is heavier actually.

Overall: I'd say that most people would prefer the Active Limited Edition more. The Innocase II Surface's main protection comes from the very hard plastic, versus the Innocase Active Limited Edition, which relies on the soft rubber polymer. If you've taken high school physics, then you'd already know that the softer rubber polymer provides superior protection. However, the Innocase II Surface is perfect for those who wants a case that provides protection without sacrificing thinness. When added to the Evo, the Active Limited Edition is indeed thicker and bulkier. However personally I will stick with the Active Limited Edition. It just seems like a product for me :D

Pictures:

IMGP2342.JPG

The insides.

IMGP2344.JPG

IMGP2345.JPG

Bottom

IMGP2347.JPG

Left

IMGP2348.JPG

Another top. Note the covered Power button.

IMGP2349.JPG

Right. Note the covered Volume buttons

IMGP2350.JPG

Bottom

IMGP2351.JPG

Finished product. The corners are protected by the hard exoskeleton.

More pictures on next post.

Q&A:
Have you had any troubles with pushing the power or volume buttons, or do you actually feel it helps a bit since they would appear less recessed?

I actually consider it a slight hassle trying to toggle the power button on regularly so I thought this might help a little.

You know, I actually feel like the case helps. With a naked Evo, your finger has to be pretty much right on the button for you to push it. However with the case, as long as you push hard enough, you can push a much larger area and still toggle the power button.

It's definitely easier to push than with the Innocase II Surface.

The volume buttons are much easier to push than the power button with the case on.

New from Seidio: Innocase "Non-Limited Edition" Active

Seidio has redesigned the case with a new exoskeleton. This is already out at Innocase Active For use with HTC EVO 4G - Pearl White

User comparison from someone who's bought both the Limited Edition from Amazon, and the Non-Limited Edition from Seidioonline:
I've tried both the limited edition from Amazon and the non limited direct from Seidio. Both are very nice and have generally the same construction (hard exoskeleton over silicone). As the pictures show, the limited exoskeleton leaves more of the molded silicone exposed on the sides, while the Seidio direct has an exoskeleton that covers the whole sides of the phone. I significantly prefer the limited version as I like the look better, and the molded sides are slightly easier to grip. The limited exoskeleton also has a tighter grip on the silicone, especially on the left side, though the Seidio direct version didn't slip as long as I didn't fiddle with it.

Both are nice, though, so it's mostly a matter of preference. I got the blue limited from Amazon. It's not nearly as bright blue as the photo shows (more of a subtle blue-black, with a blue matte iridescence is direct light). I love it.

Last edited:

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
IMGP2359.JPG

Works perfectly with the kickstand.

IMGP2360.JPG

Jeans bulge.
IMGP2353.JPG

The edges of the case comes beyond the screen a bit, protecting the phone if you set it face down.
IMGP2355.JPG

The camera is protected by the case too.
IMGP2356.JPG

The hole surrounding the headphone port is large enough for any type of plug you may have.
IMGP2358.JPG

Hole for microphone and ports do their job.
IMGP2361.JPG

The inner rubber polymer layer.
IMGP2362.JPG

Hard plastic exoskeleton with rubberized finish.

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone

great review, thanks.

I hope Amazon ships these out ASAP. Their website still says: Ships 2-3 Weeks.

Yes I believe they are still getting stock from Seidio or something. Someone said it will definitely be shipped some time before July 1st.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Impressive review.. You ALMOST had me ordering one on Amazon... The problem is it won't work with their travel/car kit coming soon... Only works with the Innocase models (I asked Seidio).. The Active case is too thick so you would have to physically REMOVE it from the case to work with the car kit.... Bummer....

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Impressive review.. You ALMOST had me ordering one on Amazon... The problem is it won't work with their travel/car kit coming soon... Only works with the Innocase models (I asked Seidio).. The Active case is too thick so you would have to physically REMOVE it from the case to work with the car kit.... Bummer....

Really?? they said that? Can you provide the quote or exchange between you and seidio? Man that's a shame if it's true. Still a great case though. I actually prefer it over the Surface.

I'm only asking because on their website they state it will work with their "Innocases", and the Active Limited Edition IS an innocase.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
pingpongboss - very nice review!

1. so which case do you like best and why?
2. what about grit/grime/lint getting stuck in between the case and phone marring the phone?
3. what about ease of pulling phone in and out of pocket?

thanks!

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
pingpongboss - very nice review!

1. so which case do you like best and why?
2. what about grit/grime/lint getting stuck in between the case and phone marring the phone?
3. what about ease of pulling phone in and out of pocket?

thanks!

I'm sticking with the Innocase Active Limited Edition for now. It just seems like the build quality might be a bit higher, and I like the more ruggedness of it. It doesn't squeak, and is a perfect fit. But if it turns out that only the Innocase II Surface will work with their car dock, i may have to switch back.

The dark rubber might turn a bit lighter from dust, but no larger particles have gotten in between the case and the phone yet. I just wipe off the dust if it's been in my pocket for a day.

Very easy. Doesn't make the phone that much larger and the rubber is not SUPER grippy.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Really?? they said that? Can you provide the quote or exchange between you and seidio? Man that's a shame if it's true. Still a great case though. I actually prefer it over the Surface.

I'm only asking because on their website they state it will work with their "Innocases", and the Active Limited Edition IS an innocase.

I just chatted with them for the third time and copy and pasted below.. They say it won't work with their new car kit..... The overall thickness and width will be too great for the kit.... Sorry... I am really bummed...

Please wait for the next available representative?
Robert: Trying to see if the Seidio Active Innocase will work with the Innotraveler Car Kit when it comes out?
Rachel: Hello! Thank you for contacting Seidio Online! How can I help you today?
Rachel: Good afternoon! We have an exclusive to Amazon, Seidio Active Innocase available. This style of a case will not work with the Car Kit since it was already designed to work with a regular Innocase.
Robert: Your information on the Innotraveler Car Kit shows that it has a removable accessory plate for use with Innocases and says it will work with the 3500 mAh battery but not the Active case?
Robert: Hello?
Rachel: I''m sorry for the wait.
Robert: No problem didn't know if I lost you or not
Rachel: Thats correct. The active case is like a 2-piece case and it looks very similar to our Rugged Case.
Rachel: Its a little bit thicker than our Innocases so it wouldn''t work in the cradle.
Robert: So what is the removable accessory plate in the cradle description?
Robert: You would think the added thickness of the 3500 mAh battery would be greater than this case?
Rachel: The way its designed is that the cradle has a removable attachment inside that you can remove if you using a regular Innocase. If you keep the insert in the cradle, than you just dock your phone. You can also use it with the extended life battery.
Rachel: Well, it will fit in the back but the side dimensions of the cradle is too small to support the Active case on.
Robert: When will you guys have a picture of the Innotraveler kit?
Rachel: We don''t have any just yet, but its going to look somewhat similar to the Motorola Droid Innotraveler Car Kit: Innotraveler Car Kit

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just chatted with them for the third time and copy and pasted below.. They say it won't work with their new car kit..... The overall thickness and width will be too great for the kit.... Sorry... I am really bummed...

Please wait for the next available representative?
Robert: Trying to see if the Seidio Active Innocase will work with the Innotraveler Car Kit when it comes out?
Rachel: Hello! Thank you for contacting Seidio Online! How can I help you today?
Rachel: Good afternoon! We have an exclusive to Amazon, Seidio Active Innocase available. This style of a case will not work with the Car Kit since it was already designed to work with a regular Innocase.
Robert: Your information on the Innotraveler Car Kit shows that it has a removable accessory plate for use with Innocases and says it will work with the 3500 mAh battery but not the Active case?
Robert: Hello?
Rachel: I''m sorry for the wait.
Robert: No problem didn't know if I lost you or not
Rachel: Thats correct. The active case is like a 2-piece case and it looks very similar to our Rugged Case.
Rachel: Its a little bit thicker than our Innocases so it wouldn''t work in the cradle.
Robert: So what is the removable accessory plate in the cradle description?
Robert: You would think the added thickness of the 3500 mAh battery would be greater than this case?
Rachel: The way its designed is that the cradle has a removable attachment inside that you can remove if you using a regular Innocase. If you keep the insert in the cradle, than you just dock your phone. You can also use it with the extended life battery.
Rachel: Well, it will fit in the back but the side dimensions of the cradle is too small to support the Active case on.
Robert: When will you guys have a picture of the Innotraveler kit?
Rachel: We don''t have any just yet, but its going to look somewhat similar to the Motorola Droid Innotraveler Car Kit: Innotraveler Car Kit

noooooo

Well, thanks for the confirmation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan